New York Times Profiles Emma Watson's New Role in "Perks of Being a Wallflower"

Watson Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
October 06, 2011, 12:43 AM

The New York Times has published a new report featuring actress Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) from when they visited her on the set of her new film, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," over the summer.

Ms. Watson speaks about her new experiences on a film set worlds away from "Harry Potter," bonding with her new co-stars and influencing filmmakers in Hollywood to invest in "Perks."

“Oh my goodness, so many firsts,” she said, speaking in an excited rush during a break from filming. “I did the prom! We all get dressed up and we go in a limo, and get photographs. It’s been really fun for me to get to graduate. Eating in the school canteen; all these things that I’ve always sort of said to my American friends, ‘Oh, that looks amazing, that looks so fun, I’m jealous.’ And I get to do it for this movie.”

“That’s a different chapter of my life, which, kind of through doing this, feels like it’s closed,” she said [referring to Potter]. She pointed to a scene in “Perks” as symbolic of her new beginning: standing in the back of a pickup truck, she and her high school crew take a late-night joyride through the Fort Pitt Tunnel, the city lights shining on the other end.

“Summit didn’t want me to do the stunt, but I insisted,” she said, even though she was scared. “The car’s moving at 60 miles per hour, I had one little thing attaching me to the truck,” she recalled. She ended up going through seven or eight times, screaming her guts out. “Oh my God, it was so fun,” she said. “One of the best nights of my life, without a doubt.”

A new image still from the film of Ms. Watson as Sam along with co-star Logan Lerman (Charlie) accompanied the article. A release date for "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" has not yet been announced.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Watson Interviews News

Excellent, now the ride in the pick up in the tunnel sounds fun :)

Posted by DavidTheUnready on October 06, 2011, 04:05 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Excellent! Now the ride in the pick up in the tunnel sounds fun!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on October 06, 2011, 05:28 AM report to moderator
Screen_shot_2011-05-21_at_12

Oh, I can’t wait to see this movie!!! Emma looks fabulous in it!!!!

It will be soooo much fun to see her in something else than Potter! :D

Posted by emmawatsonfan13 on October 06, 2011, 08:43 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How very nice for her…

Posted by Won_Two on October 06, 2011, 10:19 AM report to moderator

Emma is doing very well…this film and My Week with Marilyn
trailer
looks like a very good film with other HP alumni

Posted by Jeannine on October 06, 2011, 11:15 AM report to moderator
Harry-potter-galleon_thumb

Just a slight warnong to everyone that is going to see My Week with Marilyn for Emma. I’ve heard she has no more than 15 minutes of screen time.

Posted by LegendMN007 on October 06, 2011, 12:48 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Standing up in the bed of a pickup truck doing 60 mph? Not to blame Ms. Watson personally, but I wonder how many teens will end up getting killed in copycat stunts. I hope the movie doesn’t make it look like something that everyone should try. A member of my own high school class never made it to graduation on account of some kids horsing around like that, taking turns sitting on the back of a moving car. One slid off, banged his head on the pavement and died. : (

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on October 06, 2011, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Good for her :)

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on October 06, 2011, 02:11 PM report to moderator
Hula_thumb

Can’t wait to see the movie! Love the book.

Posted by DarthWeetzie on October 06, 2011, 02:36 PM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

WeenyOwl I appreciate your concern – but isn’t it up to those teenagers’ parents to teach their off spring the difference between film/movie and reality? It is the same with this present concern about" too thin models in magazines" and so forth – children/teenagers have to learn to distinguish between an image (which is – more often than not – retouched, etc. ) and reality … the sooner the better. We cannot continue blaming film makers/journalists/designers for our children’s warped view on reality – WE, the adults, are responsible, we need to show them the difference between image/reality. I mean – there are a lot of stunts in the HP movies after all …

Posted by siena on October 06, 2011, 04:04 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I cant wait to see Perks! I’ve never read the book, I’m rather behind on my reading but I’ll try and add it too the list. Going 60 mph through a tunnle in the back of a pickup sounds so wicked! But its true, some stupid teenager might get the idea to try it, I’d love to but my common sense is telling me that wouldnt be the smartest idea.
My Week With Marylin is the type of movie I’d go see even if Emma wasnt in it, so she’s a nice added bonus. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on October 06, 2011, 04:10 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

Can’t wait to see it!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on October 06, 2011, 05:50 PM report to moderator

I’m glad Emma have is having fun! :) I can’t wait to see this movie!

Posted by . on October 06, 2011, 09:09 PM report to moderator
Hermione_grange_thumb

I want to see the movie!

Posted by HarryPotterGirl (Hermione) on October 06, 2011, 10:04 PM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

love er

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on October 07, 2011, 01:06 AM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

...she pulled out two misshapen woolly objects, placed them carefully on a table by the fireplace, covered them with a few screwed-up bits of parchment and a broken quill, and stood back to admire the effect.[br]"What in the name of Merlin are you doing?"