"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" For Your Consideration Ad

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
November 17, 2011, 09:21 PM

With award season fast approaching, Warner Bros. has put out a for your consideration advertisement in Variety for "Deathly Hallows: Part 2." This ad, which can be seen in our galleries here, shows Hagrid carrying Harry's body to Hogwarts. The awards Warner Bros. lists "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" being eligible for are as follows:

• Best Picture
  • Best Director
  • Best Adapted Screenplay
  • Best Cinematography
  • Best Actor
    • Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)
    • Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley)
  • Best Supporting Actor
    • Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort)
    • Alan Rickman (Snape)
  • Best Actress
    • Emma Watson (Hermione Granger)
  • Best Supporting Actress
    • Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange)
    • Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall)
  • Best Original Score

If readers will recall, Warner Bros. has already made a "For Your Consideration" site and video for "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" and that can be viewed here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Angel_thumb

I like that WB is pushing this like it is, but they really should start focusing on the awards that are most deserved. Bonham-Carter didn’t do much with this movie, and apart from the first few minutes, is a completely forgettable and practically silent character. How is that worth consideration with all the other performances in other movies this year?
Watson was better than she has been in the past, but she still isn’t anything special.
Unfortunately, Grint WILL be overlooked when placed next to Radcliffe (very unfortunate)
The only ones I would not be surprised to see would be Alan Rickman, cinematography, and Best Picture nods, but everything else is a bit of a long shot.

Too bad the academy is too full of themselves to even give much notice to the blockbusters and big-budgets. Usually fantasy is overlooked from the get-go, but maybe Potter can go along the lines of LotR, getting best picture almost as a show of the series as a whole (Return of the King wasn’t the best of the three but won Best Picture) so hopefully Potter can follow along.

sorry it was so long.

Posted by hrrypttrfn328 on November 17, 2011, 09:45 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good luck to them, they will need it.

Posted by Won_Two on November 17, 2011, 10:06 PM report to moderator

I don’t think that the possible nominations for Emma, Daniel, and Rupert (especially Emma and Dan, sorry Rup!) are based just on this past film but their performance through the whole series. There’s probably never going to be such strong performances for a character that lasts ten years ever again. From their first movie to the end, they blow me away. Especially Dan at the end of DH2 at the train station. DH2 definitely deserves a shot at Best Picture nomination and Alan Rickman. If they can get any of those, I think those last two might be the ones.

I think it’s really great that WB is putting full support behind DH2 and all the nominations they can get. The work for the series has been astounding and more than well-deserved. The Academy is more of a popularity contest and really only nominate movies with a historical or social theme but I’m trying to stay positive – good luck DH2!

Posted by bellahawthorne on November 17, 2011, 10:10 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

If they want serious consideration the image they should be showing is of Snape at Godric’s Hollow. Sorry, but I don’t see any of the Trio as Best Actor/Actress material at this point in their careers – maybe someday. Best Picture as a nod to the whole series would be a nice gesture, but Alan Rickman is their ace in the hole. I would dearly love to see Maggie Smith get another Oscar – it has been an awful long time since ‘The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie’ – but they probably won’t think she had enough screentime. As for Fiennes and Bonham Carter, they didn’t really act – they just chewed the scenery.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on November 17, 2011, 10:28 PM report to moderator

hmm Well looking at it objectively from a movie in the industry standpoint, I’d say nix on the director, cinematography, and acting awards. Definitely not the screenplay as it was the film’s greatest fault in my opinion. Score is a definite possible, as the Academy really like Desplat, and his score for Deathly Hallows Part 2, though not exactly groundbreaking, was very emotionally diverse. Long shot, but would be the height of cool to get a Best Picture Nomination/Win. I would just LOVE Jo to have an Academy Award to add to her enormous achievements. The actors were good, but as said earlier, Belatrix was barely in this one, and McGonagall probably didn’t have enough screen time, though she was phenomenal! Actually Ralph and Allan could do with some nominations. Unfortunately Harry Potter has always stopped short of Oscars…

Posted by pottermate on November 17, 2011, 10:46 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mwfpc2fgyd1qan42po1_250_thumb
20964 Points

I think HP will have a bigger change than anyone thinks of winning. Because after tens years of such groundbreaking acting and movie making and breaking records left and right, HP deserves to be honored. And if Alan Rickman doesnt win best supporting they will have to answer to me personally!!!

Posted by LunaLuver on November 17, 2011, 11:35 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

@rettophantom, In the case of Helena Bonham-Carter, they are probably thinking of her performance as Hermione disguised as Bellatrix in the Gringotts Bank scene. That was so brilliant that I couldn’t think of her as anyone but Hermione as I watched her teetering on those stiletto heels!

Of course Alan Rickman ought to get an Oscar for Snape. I’m glad to see that Warner Bros are putting him forward, anyway.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on November 18, 2011, 01:35 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Alan Rickman is given prominence in the ‘For your consideration’ booklet sent to the judges. (You can see a number of copies on eBay, some with photos of individual pages.)

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on November 18, 2011, 01:40 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Good luck!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on November 18, 2011, 06:22 AM report to moderator

I do hope they all win, they truly deserve it! I’ve been looking for what these awards are: BAFTAs, OSCARS, but I don’t seem to find it, does anyone know what they are?

Posted by . on November 18, 2011, 08:18 AM report to moderator
Fwooper1_thumb

I agree – Helena B-C definately was good, but not in any way special. I don’t want to miss her contribution to the films, don’t get me wrong – but her part wasn’t really that huge. On the whole, I’d agree with the nominations – though I can’t figure why Robbie Coltrane is missing out … he totally EMBODIED Hagrid for me – he IS Hagrid really – good natured, larger than life, the kindest beettle-black eyes ever, unpretentious, straight-forward …. – and fiercly intelligent. He really shouldn’t get overlooked. Just look at the picture above – look at his expression of ABSOLUTE, RAW PAIN FROZEN IN HIS FEATURES ….. that IS remarkable acting, WB – just take note !!!

Posted by siena on November 18, 2011, 09:25 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I really want them to win! They deserve it after the long years of making this project possible. They’ve done it pretty successfully I think and the last film was amazing. I’ll be very unhappy if they don’t win the awards they definately deserve!

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on November 18, 2011, 09:48 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Let me amend what I said about Helena Bonham Carter. V-J is right: She was quite good in that scene of Hermione pretending to be Bellatrix. Other than that, throughout the series I have found her Bellatrix to be just a caricature of a boogity-boogity villainess. One-dimensional personfications of Eeee-villl are not my cup of tea.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on November 18, 2011, 10:51 AM report to moderator

Nothing for Stuart Craig?

Posted by zoltan42 on November 18, 2011, 11:55 AM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

Honestly I think there is just one person who has been continually over looked every year at the Oscars when it comes to Potter. It has to be Stuart Craig, production designer, for 10 years his work on Potter has been perfection, thoroughly deserved on Oscar. Otherwise I see nominations for sound, special effects, score, maybe picture considering the list of nominees were extended. Anything else would be incredibly lucky

Posted by KiwiMcI on November 18, 2011, 01:59 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Saturn was surely in a position of power in the heavens at the moment of your birth... Your dark hair... your mean stature... tragic losses so young in life... I think I am right in saying, my dear, that you were born in midwinter?"[br]"No," said Harry,