Press Peeks into J.K. Rowling's Back Yard, Sees Hagrid, Gets It Wrong

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Melissa
April 19, 2011, 06:17 AM

There's a pretty hilarious article going around from the Daily Mail that posits that J.K. Rowling is building Hagrid's Hut in the yard of her Edinburgh home. It claims the author is constructing a "lodge" that will sit at the bottom of her gardens that will mirror the hut we've seen in the films, with a conical roof, a spire, a chimney and stone steps up to the door.

While it is true she has submitted plans for the building of a garden house in her yard, which will match the style of her home and happens to have a conical roof, there isn't any intent to make it match Hagrid's hut (which is actually wooden as per the books, not stone as in the films).

Stay tuned to Leaky for more info on Jo's architectural adventures, including her plans to build a full scale Hogwarts on the grounds of Buckingham Palace; the functioning Hog's Head pub being readied for her private use on the Royal Mile, and, of course, her very own Room of Requirement, which will appear now and then inside her Edinburgh home and serve coffee, biscuits and writing inspiration on demand. We'll bring you the scoop!

(Just in case it needs saying, which we know from experience it does: The above paragraph is a joke and should not be mistaken for anything resembling truth.)

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

December_loadoff_087_thumb

It would be pretty awesome to have a hut like Hagrids ..

Posted by Bella'love ^HISS^ on April 20, 2011, 11:28 AM report to moderator

Rowling would do that ! that just made my day (:

Posted by harrypotter = life ! on April 20, 2011, 07:48 PM report to moderator
Emma-watson-short-hair-picture_thumb

Oh this is fantastic!!!, and how funny, Leaky , you make me laugh!!

Posted by Stephaniej on April 20, 2011, 07:58 PM report to moderator
Img_3265_thumb

I’m so glad I took a break from studying to come here and catch up on Leaky posts. This article lifted my spirits and will motivate me to read more about building design in hopes of helping Ms. Rowling in her future architectural endeavors.

(No joke I really am reading up on building design…)

Posted by Alli on April 22, 2011, 12:04 AM report to moderator

Writing inspiration on demand? If only….then she’d publish another book! Hilarious article.

Posted by ElphabaROCKS on April 22, 2011, 12:38 AM report to moderator
Hewlett_packard_thumb

I want a hagrid hut in my yard…

Posted by spelljinxcursehexcharm on April 22, 2011, 01:08 AM report to moderator
Flying-ford-anglia-resized-128_thumb

Lol! Nice one Melissa. Why not build Hagrid’s hut though? I’d be tempted if I had the space and the money. :)

Posted by Immortal Phoenix on April 22, 2011, 09:55 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Ha! Great stuff!

Posted by Jacket on April 22, 2011, 12:06 PM report to moderator
Avatars_movies_ootp_april_003_thumb

Cool! That wold be so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by AbbyWeasley on April 22, 2011, 01:15 PM report to moderator

I say go for it, Madam Rowling. Just the other day I was reading about “Madam Rosmerta’s oak-matured mead” and thinking, “Wow, I could really go for some of that!” :)

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on April 22, 2011, 07:32 PM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

Oh that was funny.. you’ve got to love the British press when they get things wrong they do it royally wrong!!!

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on April 23, 2011, 05:03 PM report to moderator

Oh, gosh, people are relating her daily life to Harry Potter! But, I’m okay with that cause I think it would be SO cool if she built a Hagrid Hut in her backyard. :D

Posted by . on April 23, 2011, 07:06 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_image4_thumb

Posted by harmfizzle on April 25, 2011, 09:58 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_image4_thumb

I want Hagrids Hut in my backyard

Posted by harmfizzle on April 25, 2011, 09:59 PM report to moderator
Harry_potter_image4_thumb

wow this is some funny stuff

Posted by harmfizzle on April 25, 2011, 09:59 PM report to moderator

"Saint Potter, the Mudbloods' friend," said Malfoy slowly. "He's another one with no proper wizard feeling, or he wouldn't go around with that jumped up Granger Mudblood. And people think [i]he's[/i] Slytherin's heir!"

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014