J.K. Rowling "Actively Considering" Plans for E-Book Release of Harry Potter Series

Books
Posted by: Rosi
April 04, 2011, 10:52 AM

The Scotsman is today reporting a quote from J.K. Rowling's agent, which says that the Harry Potter author is "now actively considering plans for e-book versions" of the Harry Potter books.

The article speculates that the e-book rights that would need to be purchased to make the whole series available on the iPad and Kindle could fetch up to £100m (approx $161.64m USD).

Find the full article at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Capture10_thumb

Thats nice. But I prefer the actual books :) its just not the same reading them any other way.

Posted by Gryffindor1991 {ROAR!!!} on April 04, 2011, 11:16 AM report to moderator
Death_eater_thumb

I agree, however it would be nice to have the series on my Kindle and be able to read them whenever I wanted.

Posted by Max Power on April 04, 2011, 11:28 AM report to moderator

Thank heavens. I’ve been waiting for this. :)

Posted by Oh, Neville OoM4, GS on April 04, 2011, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

Yay!!! I agree that the actual books are best, but it would be so convenient to have them on my Nook.

Posted by AvanelleWood on April 04, 2011, 11:51 AM report to moderator
Logo150nobrain_thumb

Some fans couldn’t wait – I’ve seen badly converted versions of all seven main books plus BtB available free via Android

Posted by zonkoltd on April 04, 2011, 12:19 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I prefer reading from the original books but I would like my e-reader to have the harry potter books.

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on April 04, 2011, 12:20 PM report to moderator
Marrow_normal_normal_small_thumb

Please do! Please! I love reading the books in true book form but it is a physical impossibility to take them with me when I travel. Before LeakyCon would be especially nice.

Posted by nellythemarrow on April 04, 2011, 12:24 PM report to moderator

I agree with nellythemarrow regarding taking books (in general) for travel. My brother does a lot of traveling. He’s long taken several books to read during the flight, downtime, etc. It’s far easier to take one e-reader loaded with hundreds of books rather than a bag of books.

Posted by zoltan42 on April 04, 2011, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I suppose that there is a place for e-readers, especially for people with disabilities or for commuting. But for me they will never replace the physical pleasure of opening a new real book, smelling the ink, feeling the paper in my fingers, holding its heft in my lap. It’s bad enough being tied to a computer for hours every day – the idea of an electronic ‘book’ just gives me the creeps. I plan never, ever to buy one, so real bookstores had better stay in business a whole lot longer!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 04, 2011, 01:03 PM report to moderator

I would enjoy them but that is really expensive considering that the Scholastic Book Clubs price for the seven book series in paperback is $43.00. I curious if the text-to-speech function would be enabled.

What I would really like is something new written by Ms. Rowling!

Posted by Noble Birth Descending on April 04, 2011, 01:11 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

What I would really like is something new written by Ms. Rowling!

Posted by Noble Birth Descending * Yes! Totally agree!!! We need a “like” button.

Posted by AvanelleWood on April 04, 2011, 01:49 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Amen to that thought about wanting more writing from JKR! Over the weekend I heard a review of ‘How to Succeed’ on the radio, and they mentioned that it was a really hot ticket, driven largely by HP fans wanting to see Dan Radcliffe in…anything, really. And it occurred to me that nobody is going to go broke by overestimating the unfillable hunger of Potterheads for something to help assuage the void left behind by the prospect of no more books. We’ll take whatever we can get, but nothing would beat more from the pen of Harry’s creator.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 04, 2011, 02:03 PM report to moderator
Escudo20ravenclaw__1__thumb

I don’t like that they’re being transferred to e-books… I like that they’re “old-fashioned” (which is what real books are becoming now), it gives them a certain je-ne-sais-quoi about them, or a special “magic”… no pun intended .

Posted by cloethebelatrixlover on April 04, 2011, 02:26 PM report to moderator
Ebg_old_books_thumb

When I read “Actively Considering Plans” I thought and was hoping that she was considering writing more HP books.

Posted by Norian on April 04, 2011, 02:29 PM report to moderator

I prefer reading actual books and prefer the feel of paper as opposed to the plastic of an e-reader! Anyone agree???

Posted by Potters_pal on April 04, 2011, 02:43 PM report to moderator

The nearest dementor seemed to be considering him. Then it raised both its rotting hands -- and lowered its hood.[br]Where there should have been eyes, there was only thin, gray scabbed skin, stretched blankly over empty sockets. But there was a mouth...