Bloomsbury Poll to Find Favorite Harry Potter Character Open; Author J. K. Rowling Offers Her Choice

Books
Posted by: Edward
May 16, 2011, 12:49 PM

Bloomsbury Publishing has launched a new poll to find out which Harry Potter characters fans would pick as their favorite via this link.  Starting today, fans may pick from a list of forty characters which wizard, Muggle, or creature is their favorite character from throughout author J. K. Rowing's series.  Fans will also be able to write in your favorite if they are not listed.  The Harry Potter author herself has offered her choice for favorite character, as well.  Ms Rowling relates:

"Harry, although I believe I am unusual in this, Ron is generally more popular (I love him too, though) Now that I have finished writing the books, the character I would most like to meet for dinner is Dumbledore.  We would have a lot to discuss, and I would  love his advice; I think that everyone would like a Dumbledore in their lives."
The poll opens on Monday, May 16, 2011 and runs until Friday, August 26 2011. The winning character will be announced on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 on the UK Harry Potter Facebook page.

Happy voting!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Picking a favorite character is very difficult. Picking the character that I hate the most would be much easier. I absolutely detest Umbridge as I want to strangle her every time she opens her mouth.

I also really dislike Ginny, but that is more for the reason that her romance with Harry seems more like an afterthought than a carefully developed story. Though, if I met a real life version of her, I would probably like her.

Posted by Seidenschnabel on May 18, 2011, 12:03 AM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

I voted for Hedwig mostly out of protest, because although I DO love her so much (she probably makes my list of top 5 characters), my top pick is Luna or Dumbledore.. or Hermione (lol, since I didn’t vote for them I don’t have to decide for sure xD). So my vote for Hedwig is my continuing silent vigil for her, because her death and particularly the manner of her death is the only decision I have EVER disagreed with JKR on.

Hopefully a vote for Hedwig will highlight a little bit how much she was loved, and if she had to die then I at least it would have been appreciated if she got a moment like Dobby did. :<

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on May 18, 2011, 03:06 AM report to moderator
0oh__snap___xx04_thumb

Ahhh, I forgot to mention my vote would totally have gone to Fred & George if they had been one option, because how could I possibly choose between the two?! xD The two of them together contributed greatly to what kept me reading the books after I had dismissed it as children’s (my niece’s are the ones that wanted me to get into the series).

Posted by iceymoon [Cygnus] on May 18, 2011, 03:09 AM report to moderator
6-8b2a0dac50cab1dc7808800c700d3762_thumb_thumb

Had to be Remus, although I was torn between him and Tonks :)

Posted by teamtonks on May 18, 2011, 04:43 AM report to moderator
Daniel_radcliffe_being_perfect_thumb

Join the group “WE WANT A COUNTDOWN FOR HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2!” to get a DH2 countdown! If we get 100+ people to join this group, it will be sent to Melissa Anelli! Please Join!

Posted by Potterhead777 {ROAR!} on May 18, 2011, 07:52 AM report to moderator
Ginny_weasley_thumb

I just had to vote for Ginny, she’s my alltime fav character and the person I would most want to be if I suddenley joined the wizarding world!

I voted for Hagrid! Love him!

Posted by potterheadforlife on May 18, 2011, 11:42 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

I voted for Luna. I just love her! The fact that she is her self and doesn’t care what anyone says about her.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on May 18, 2011, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Tonks_thumb

I voted for Tonks, I was close on Luna, but Tonks personality and humor won me over! Love her color changing hair and clumsiness ha ha

Posted by sboyer06 on May 18, 2011, 12:00 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I have to agree! Dumbledore is one of those characters you wish were real

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on May 18, 2011, 12:38 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

Too hard to decide. I chose Harry – if I didn’t meet him and like him none of the others would have come into my life. LOL
Although, I’d like to know why Buckbeak and Sir Nicholas need to be write ins. :D

Posted by Xyra44 on May 18, 2011, 04:27 PM report to moderator

Voted for Neville. I see a lot of myself in him, least of all his struggle from where he was in the beginning to who he became as a man.

Posted by Charles.M.Roland on May 18, 2011, 05:28 PM report to moderator

I love all the characters, I guess that’s because the writting is so good. But I think my favorite has to be Harry, because these books are his story so if I love the so much is because of him in the first place.

Posted by ethanHP on May 19, 2011, 11:18 AM report to moderator
600full-harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows_-part-2-screenshot_thumb

HARRY forever!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by maddison R-O-A-R on May 20, 2011, 02:38 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

i love most characters except the villains. i most favourite creature is Dobby i just love him, he’s loyalty to harry and saving harry’s life even when it poses a danger to himself, he was the true hero at malfoy manor. my second fav will be Harry followed by Hermione, Ron, Luna, Dumbledore not to forget Hagrid. the list goes on a just love them all each had a unique contribution to the books even the villains although i hate them

Posted by mencia on May 20, 2011, 11:33 AM report to moderator

Neville went bright red but turned in his seat to face Malfoy.[br] "I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy," he stammered.

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014