Matt Lewis Discusses "Deathly Hallows: Part 2"

Lewis
Posted by: Mel
May 29, 2011, 04:56 PM

In a new interview with Empire Magazine, Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) shares his thoughts on his role and the evolution of his character in "Deathly Hallows: Part 2":

Neville started off rather timid and nervous, but he ends up very different, wouldn't you say?

Absolutely. It was sort of method acting really. If you look at some of those early films when I'm looking terrified in front of Alan Rickman or whatever, it's probably because I am! But when it got to the last film, Deathly Hallows, I could just have a chat with Alan, so it sort of evolved the same way as the character, I suppose.
...
We didn't really see Neville much in Part 1. But Part 2 is, judging by the books, his finest hour.
I felt quite lucky to have been in Part One, to be honest, because the character's not actually in the book until the end. But, you know, David said he wanted to stick him in just to remind people what was going on back at school. And it was just nice to have been in, because it means I was in all eight films even if it was only for one line!

Lewis also discusses the way the movie departs from the book. Warning, there are some potential movie spoilers:

What sort of thing has been added?
Just stuff where you see what the students are getting up to while they're in this war. The book's focused very heavily on Harry Potter. But the film keeps coming back to the students and the teachers and what's going on. And the whole war is very real. It is really life and death. I won't give too much away, but the whole thing for me was just so much fun because there was so much in. There was a bit of light humour at the beginning; a bit of, sort of, French Resistance stuff. But then the war kicks off and there's action to do and there's a lot of drama as well because there are people dying around us, and Neville's in charge of these people who are dying. I just got to do so much different stuff. It was great.

You've said before in interviews that Neville's seen carrying a dead body.
Yeah, that's right. I mean, because Neville is the leader he's determined to act like one so he's always on the frontlines. I think he feels responsible for every student that dies because he knows that he's the one putting them out there. But it was a challenge. I really hope they keep it in because it really shows Neville at his best. There's all this fun stuff where Neville's very adrenalised and on autopilot. But that bit brings him back down to Earth for a minute. And I really hope they keep it in.

You can read the rest of the interview here. "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" will be released in the US and UK July 15th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Lewis News

Hpmaggie2_copy2_thumb

I’m so glad they gave Neville his heroic moments, he absolutely deserves them. Can’t wait for this movie!!!!!

Posted by Headmistress LemonFaerie on May 29, 2011, 05:27 PM report to moderator

Omg guys! The last Harry Potter soundtrack is completed! LOOK: POTTERFORTHEPEOPLE.COM!!!!! I AM SO SAD!

Posted by anastasia1234 on May 29, 2011, 06:13 PM report to moderator
Shoes_thumb

I’m really looking forward to his scenes in the film. I love his character so much and I think he does a great job of portraying Neville. I really hope they show us more of what Neville, Ginny and the rest of the students went through than the book did. I love the book to bits but I’m greedy and would have liked a little bit more.

Posted by Love is the greatest magic on May 29, 2011, 06:13 PM report to moderator

I’m glad that they did put Neville in the first part, it’s nice to see how he became so brave toward the end, like in the movie, he says, “Hey, losers, he’s not here,” to a couple of Death Eaters. Pretty amazing, huh?
When Matthew Lewis says something about going back and forward to Hogwarts and the trio, did you guys see that in Part One? Cause I only saw that when they were in the train. . . . Or is he talking about Part Two?

Posted by . on May 29, 2011, 07:51 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I love hearing for Matt, and I cant wait to see all his scenes. They are some I am really looking forward to. Empire isnt out in the US yet, but once it is it is so MINE!!!! :):):):)

Posted by LunaLuver on May 29, 2011, 08:40 PM report to moderator
Escudo20ravenclaw__1__thumb

Yay neville! I cant wait until the snake scene…

Posted by cloethebelatrixlover on May 29, 2011, 08:58 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

I think Neville’s scenes may end up being my Favs. Neville has always been one of my Fav characters and I have always considered him to be one of the main characters of the book. I mean you can’t just NOT love Neville!

Posted by joeys_mommy on May 29, 2011, 09:14 PM report to moderator

This post just doubled my excitement for the movie!! I can’t wait to see it!!!

Posted by Ratorr on May 29, 2011, 09:47 PM report to moderator

Aww… At last, Neville’s gonna prove that there was actually a reason the sorting hat put him in Gryffindor! :)

Posted by Mahinique ЯOAR on May 30, 2011, 01:13 AM report to moderator
Daniel-radcliff-how-to-succeed1-240x300_normal_thumb

Important role the one of Neville in this movie!!

Posted by HalfbloodPrince08 on May 30, 2011, 02:43 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

neville did deserve a brilliant send off, he couldn’t be in Gryffindor, be the son of two aurors and not be a brave leader he just had to find his true self.

Posted by mencia on May 30, 2011, 06:55 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

I am so proud that seven years ago I started using the name Nevilla. Even before the books ended, I felt/hoped that Neville would be a hero, and he absolutely was!

Posted by Nevilla on May 30, 2011, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good ol’ Neville!

Posted by Won_Two on May 30, 2011, 01:47 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

OMG I AM SO SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!
i am totally the number 1 fan!harry potter is on the brain 24/7 pretty much!

Posted by farewell_fred on May 30, 2011, 03:30 PM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

OMG I AM SO SUPER EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!
i am totally the number 1 fan!harry potter is on the brain 24/7 pretty much!

Posted by farewell_fred on May 30, 2011, 03:31 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Arthur, is that you?"[br]"Yes," came Mr. Weasley's weary voice. "But I would say that even if I were a Death Eater, dear. Ask the question!"[br]"Oh, honestly..."[br]"Molly!"[br]"All right, all right... What is your dearest ambition?"[br]"To find out how