Daniel Radcliffe's Five Influential Books For Scholastics 'You Are What You Read' Campaign

Radcliffe
Posted by: Stephanie_J
June 26, 2011, 08:26 PM

Scholastic's latest campaign, You Are What You Read, encourages readers to create a list - or "bookprint" - of books that have left an "indelible mark on our lives, shaping who we are and who we've become."

A few notable names have shared their personal bookprint with Scholastic, including Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe. His picks include the classics The Old Man and the Sea and Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas. And, of course, not to be left out: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone!

You can read Mr. Radcliffe's complete top five list below along with a short explanation for each of his choices:

1. The Old Man and the Sea
"I think the Old Man and Sea was probably the first book by a really classic author that I ever read, and it was then that I realized that things were classics for a reason, and they weren’t all just really, really, really hard work."

2. Germinal
"Germinal by Emile Zola was the first sort of longer and more European novel that I ever read, and I remember reading it in like five days. It’s a long book, and I’m a slow reader, but I just did nothing else."

3. Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas
"It was given to me on my 15th birthday by a friend, and I just thought it was the funniest thing I ever read and kind of amazing and captured the period of time brilliantly."

4. The Master and Margarita
"The Master and Margarita is my favorite, favorite book in the world ever by Mikhail. To me it’s the greatest exploration of the human imagination, and it’s about forgiveness and life and history, and it’s just the most incredible book that I’ve ever read; I read it once and then I read it almost immediately again."

5. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone
"I think it’s fair to say that if we’re talking about the five books that have most influenced my life, I think it would be pretty churlish of me not to say Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone for giving me everything that I have and everything that I will have."
Other famous faces who have shared their bookprint with Scholastic include actress Sarah Jessica Parker, tennis player Serena Williams, and writer/director Richard Curtis.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Radcliffe News

December_loadoff_087_thumb

Why is HP number five and no number one??
xD

Posted by Bella'love ^HISS^ on June 27, 2011, 06:21 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_and_the_philosopher_s_stone_thumb

Lol I would have had all Harry Potter novels on my list xD Well..I also love Emma, The Hobbit, and The Hunger Game, and maybe one of The Chronicles of Narnia too—all having influnced my life of course ;)

Posted by RubeusHagrid on June 27, 2011, 08:51 AM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

this is cool. idk what books besides hp influenced me (cause harry potter is all i can talk about) lol i like percy jackson……

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on June 27, 2011, 09:06 AM report to moderator

I think it was really nice of him to include HP. Especially since he didn’t have to, but wanted to.

Posted by iwannabeanauror (R/HR♥) on June 27, 2011, 10:22 AM report to moderator
Close_up_thumb

“They weren’t all just really, really, really hard work.” HAHAHA! Love it. It’s nice to see him backing up the worth of classics. :)

Posted by HelloWorld on June 27, 2011, 10:39 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

Of course! Harry Potter if nothing else!

Posted by Jacket on June 27, 2011, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Self_acceptance_by_jenniholma_1__normal_thumb

hmmm….. I’ll have to read some of these!

Posted by Aceba {WBM} on June 27, 2011, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Harry-daniel-radcliffe-reference-124235_v96_thumb

That’s great he put HP in his list.As he said it it was the book that changed everything.

Posted by HPlover222 on June 27, 2011, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Harry-daniel-radcliffe-reference-124235_v96_thumb

Posted by HPlover222 on June 27, 2011, 12:46 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Oh wow, I know all but one of those books! I’m glad to know he actually reads! There’s some actors/actresses whom I’m pretty sure never picked up a book in their lives, lol.

Posted by Mad But Happy on June 27, 2011, 01:10 PM report to moderator
Ruin_thumb

To those who only have read the classics because they were assigned reading, wait a few years and go back and read those classics just for personal enjoyment. You’ll be amazed how much more you enjoy them if you are not having to analyze them for school assignments.

Posted by nundu on June 27, 2011, 01:45 PM report to moderator
553520_488880994466250_43107597_n_thumb

The shame! I realised the only book I have actually read is Harry Potter. I have read many, many other really good books though, so I would have trouble choosing ;)
Although I know for sure that The Lord of the Rings (or The Hobbit, perhaps) would be on it!

Posted by Asria (DreamLight208) on June 27, 2011, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Ravenpwn_thumb

I love his explanation for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone! :D I haven’t heard of the other four books, though. Since it’s summer, I might read a few of them…. (:

Posted by Daniel (: on June 27, 2011, 05:31 PM report to moderator
Hermione_poster_thumb

That’s nice he’s supporting that.

Posted by silverkacy on June 27, 2011, 09:17 PM report to moderator
From_start_to_finish_by_tian_cai-d33cmh1_thumb

i will have to check these books out :D

Posted by handhrfan18 on June 27, 2011, 09:36 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

He caught sight of himself in the mirror over the basin... He raised his hand automatically and tried to make his hair lie flat.[br]"You're fighting a losing battle there, dear," said his mirror in a wheezy voice.