James Phelps Talks Fred Weasley's Death Scene

DH Film
Posted by: Mel
July 01, 2011, 07:46 PM

Parade has a new interview with James Phelps (Fred Weasley) where he discusses, among other things, what it was like to have a death scene for a character he's played for ten years:

“It was surreal. I feel like a really close friend has died. It was more like a Saving Private Ryan scene than Harry Potter, so it was kind of cool, because every guy wants to be in an action movie and that’s what this is. But I pretty much just laid there and fell asleep. I think it was more of a challenge for the other guys than me. Rupert [Grint] and Oliver [Phelps], they really upped their game for that one. Hopefully people will like how it's been done.”

Phelps also reflected on his first day of shooting on "Philosopher's Stone":

“I remember it very clearly. We were in a little village in Yorkshire, literally in the middle of the countryside, and we shot the last scene of the first movie when Harry gets back on the train. That’s the first scene we ever shot, and I can remember being nervous as hell.”

Phelps also goes into what souvenir he took from the Harry Potter set and sharing the experience of filming the movies with his brother Oliver in the rest of the interview, which you can read here.

Many thanks to Parade!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Hl002-1allinye_thumb

Awesome interview. I have to say i never realized the twins were my age…..

Posted by jedisakora on July 02, 2011, 12:06 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

I hope you’re right, Bellatrix the Strange, I really really really do. Fred’s death would have torn me up no matter what but the way it was in the book, with Percy reuniting with them and then, within an hour, Fred’s last words are to Percy. It just made it even more impossibly tragic. But the fact that James only mentioned Oliver and Rupert’s reactions to his death has me concerned. Well, I’ll keep my fingers and toes crossed and, hopefully, your assessment is more accurate than mine.

Posted by DeliaDee on July 02, 2011, 03:01 AM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I know that I’m going to be sitting in the cinema, sobbing!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on July 02, 2011, 03:11 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

Go Leaky!!!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on July 02, 2011, 06:34 AM report to moderator
Bellatrixlestrange_thumb

I love Fred and George – I’m gonna cry a river when Fred dies :’(

Posted by Wiz Witch on July 02, 2011, 09:56 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

Aww i think i’ll cry during that scene

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on July 02, 2011, 10:06 AM report to moderator
Close_up_thumb

Yay for a Phelps interview. I love these two and we don’t see much from them… Anyway, no Percy? I hope not… Percy coming back was the last unifying Weasley moment before Fred dies and was one of the heart-jerking elements that made his death that much more saddening.

One thing I know my eyes won’t be dry when that happens. :(

Posted by HelloWorld on July 02, 2011, 10:15 AM report to moderator
Owl_thumb

I am going to have to cry, I did for dobby! But who could not?

Posted by farewell_fred on July 02, 2011, 12:01 PM report to moderator

Even if Percy is there, I highly doubt they will include the ‘unifying’ scene in this film. Percy’s betrayel to his family was never in the spotlights here, so a scene where they’re jubilant about his return would feel ludacrisly out of place. It’s just not going to happen. If you want that, read the books, they’ve got time for every little detail.

Posted by Redbeard on July 02, 2011, 12:02 PM report to moderator

This is going to be the saddest.
JKR killed almost everybody off in the last book. .

Posted by on July 02, 2011, 12:21 PM report to moderator

I can’t wait to see it but when it’s all over the adventure is done and Fred will be dead!!! Watching the first hp movie the two Phelps’ seemed so happy together and so did their characters…. It’s so sad to have to watch George have to go off with out his brother, best friend and work partner!!!

Posted by Potters_pal on July 02, 2011, 01:21 PM report to moderator
Neville_longbottom_showed_his_interest_in_herbology_thumb

omg i will cry when i see him die. he is such an amazing actor!<3

Posted by Dobbys-socks on July 02, 2011, 01:46 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw_thumb

I’ll be crying when he dies, It’ll be like Dumbledore all over again! Poor Fred :(

Posted by BlackCat13 on July 02, 2011, 02:03 PM report to moderator
Dirty_harry_thumb

I know I’m going to be bawling when Fred dies in the movie X(

Posted by sexysnapeyseverus on July 02, 2011, 04:13 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

I wish no one would make assumptions about the movie based on someone not saying something or not seeing something. I remember someone complained about Lupin not being the Ressurection stone scene and they were all upset. Yet I have found him in the trailers to be in that scene.

I believe Percy will be there, perhaps not when Fred Dies, but with the family as they mourn for him. It will be a very sad and moving scene I’m sure. Lets not prejudge My dears!

Posted by joeys_mommy on July 02, 2011, 05:04 PM report to moderator

Harry knew that many of them preferred Professor Grubbly-Plank's lessons, and the worst of it was that a very small, unbiased part of him knew that they had good reason: Grubbly-Plank's idea of an interesting class was not one where there was a risk that

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014