New Interviews from The Guardian with James and Oliver Phelps, Rupert Grint

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
July 03, 2011, 07:59 PM

Over the weekend, the Guardian published two new interviews with members of the Harry Potter cast: the first with the Weasley twins, James and Oliver Phelps, and the second with Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley).

The Phelps' talk about the challenge of being seen as individuals after portraying one of the most famous twins in the world. They also recount their first audition for the roles of Fred and George Weasley, but admit that they "fell into acting by accident."

"I felt like [I wasn't a proper actor] for about three or four years, and then when I was about 17, I really started to take it seriously," says James, who still occasionally takes acting lessons. "I'm very aware that I'm lucky to call it my job."
Were James and Oliver Phelps very conscious that they were twins as children? Not especially, they say. Their parents would dress them in different clothes, mainly to tell them apart, but also because the family were involved in the Twins & Multiple Births Association, which has always stressed encouraging children's individuality. "If anyone referred to us as 'the twins', we would ignore them," says James. "I know people don't mean to be insulting, and I know that some twins enjoy being seen as twins, but we're at the other end of the scale."
Click here to read the full interview with James and Oliver Phelps.

The Guardian's Sunday paper, The Observer, featured a lengthy profile piece about Rupert Grint. The article not only features new quotes from Mr. Grint about his first meeting with co-star Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) and growing up in the spotlight, but also some words from producer David Heyman and friends Matthew Lewis (Neville Longbottom) and James Phelps.
I want to know his impressions of Radcliffe, on first meeting him, aged 11. Grint's a year older and anyone who can remember life as a pre-teen will remember what an impossible chasm of time and gathered wisdom that seemed. What did he think of the squitty little 10-year-old, cast opposite him? Grint starts talking about how exciting everything was at the time. He applied for the part on a whim…

But what did you think, I repeat – perhaps when you first shook hands? Did you size him up? Grint considers. He yeah-sort-of-ums.

What was the very first thing that occurred to you? And then, finally, he sniffs up a laugh, tickled by buried memory. "I remember thinking," says Grint, grinning brilliantly, "that this guy has a really triangular-shaped head."
Click here to read the whole interview with Rupert Grint.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

January-birthstone-garnet_thumb

First!
I love Fred and George as characters. When the books get very serious, they’re always there to make you laugh!

Posted by GarnetGirl on July 03, 2011, 08:38 PM report to moderator
02_twins_20-_20copy_129536961051705540_thumb

Its kinda funny that they are oppisate of the twins they play, Cause George was always the more gentle and Quiet one and in real like its James who is the Quieter one. Thats cool :)

Posted by joeys_mommy on July 03, 2011, 09:19 PM report to moderator

It’s interesting to know about how they feel about their job! I’m very sad it’s ending though. . . . And a triangular shape head? I though of a square/rectangle! :D

Posted by . on July 03, 2011, 10:08 PM report to moderator

This is so cool hearing about how they came to Harry Potter by accident and that i cant see anyone else being fred and george

Posted by Harrypotter4 on July 03, 2011, 11:23 PM report to moderator

You know… I read the whole Rup’s interview, and I… well, I don’t think that the interviewer liked Rupert much… haha… I know that he’s not the most talkative person (teh interviewer has a point when he says that he was more… cheerful when he was younger) But still…I think i was a little too hard with him. Or, he’s really that boring, wich would be really disappointing (?) XD

Posted by Jo Black on July 03, 2011, 11:39 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Rupert is hilarious!

Posted by harry potter fan #1 on July 04, 2011, 12:07 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I wonder if Rup drives around in his ice cream truck anymore?

Posted by Won_Two on July 04, 2011, 12:27 AM report to moderator

I loved James and Oliver’s interview. Such great guys!
Triangular head… oh Rupert XD

Posted by ExpectoPatronum512 on July 04, 2011, 12:35 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I loved James and Olivers interview, such great guys. And so opposit from Fred and George who love playing up the twin thing. :)
And is it just me or does it look like Rupert has a Mad Hatter on his shirt?

Posted by LunaLuver on July 04, 2011, 01:03 AM report to moderator

Vote for Hagrid in the Harry Potter World Cup… we don’t want him to lose to Cedric (not because Diggory is in Twilight but just because HAGRID IS BETTER!)

Posted by minniee33 on July 04, 2011, 01:31 AM report to moderator
The_one__colored_by_burdge_bug_thumb

I think thar upert grint interviewer made Rupert seem really slow, and stupid. Like too much so. Even to the point where he was writing in a condescending way. Didn’t like the interview much… Rupert is better than that guy made him out to be.

Posted by Luce-Lupin !~ROAR~! on July 04, 2011, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I wasn’t too keen on the way that interviewer wrote about Rupert either, they just wanted him to be more talkative but they should have known already that he wouldn’t be, and why should he? It’s not his profession to be interviewed, his acting is great, and he’s obvlously a lovely young man, those are the things that matter. You get a feeling that the interviewer thought that they would be the one to get him to open up more, but he’s too canny for that, good for him, and I hope people stop bothering Rupert in the street too, it’s so rude.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 04, 2011, 09:11 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter_seal_thumb

What great interviews!

Posted by Jacket on July 04, 2011, 01:01 PM report to moderator

Really enjoy the interviews, but must admit to being a bit saddened by the interview with James and Oliver Phelps. They are facing an especially difficult climb post-Potter. Daniel, Rupert, Emma and Tom are all well-set, it appears, and Matthew Lewis seems to be moving on, but James and Oliver seem a bit stuck. They have grown leaps and bounds into surprisingly good actors, but are competing against each other and against perception which can’t be easy. Particularly when the perception is in direct opposition to how they were raised and how they perceive themselves. They are probably my favorite real people from the movies, don’t seem really to take it for granted, and will likely have the hardest time making a career post-Potter – and they seem to know it.

The Grint interview was interesting as well. I would agree that Rupert is probably the most naturally talented of the main three; Daniel works hard and that hard work will continue his career, but Rupert has a more natural talent. He is so laid back though that it comes across sometimes as disinterest or even childishness. He clearly irked the interviewer, but the quotes from James Phelps, Matt Lewis and David Heyman were quite telling.

Posted by bluecottonsocks on July 04, 2011, 02:31 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I love the way Rupert tells time in his teenage years by which movie he was doing. I do that too, I know who I was, where in school, who I was in love with based upon which Potter movie was about… now I’ll have to right crap down

Posted by KiwiMcI on July 04, 2011, 05:56 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Can you tell me something, [i]sir?"[/i] said Harry, firing up again. "Why do you call Voldemort the Dark Lord, I've only ever heard Death Eaters call him that --"