Pottermore's Magical Quill Challenge Begins July 31

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
July 30, 2011, 10:33 PM

The Pottermore Insider Blog and website have been updated this blog post and link, revealing more about J. K. Rowling's latest project:

The eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted the hidden link in our 'You ask, we answer' blog post from 19 July, which took you to an interview J.K. Rowling gave in 2000.

In the interview was some interesting information about a Magical Quill, located in Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The Magical Quill detects the birth of a magical child and writes their name down in a large book.

Every year, Professor McGonagall checks the book and sends owls to the children who are turning eleven, to inform themthat they have a place at Hogwarts. Each day for seven days, from 31 July to 6 August, we will be placing a clue on the Pottermore homepage to help you locate The Magical Quill. If you find it, you'll have the chance to gain early access to Pottermore.

There will be a new clue every day, and each clue will relate to a different book in the Harry Potter series. On Day 1 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, on Day 2 the clue will relate to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and so forth. The clues will also vary in difficulty. On Days 1-3 the clues will be harder, and on Days 4-7 the clues will be easier.

To find The Magical Quill, you need to solve the clue and add the answer to the end of the web address. This will lead you to a website where The Magical Quill will be located while early access places are available. The Magical Quill's location will change every day.
Example
Clue: How many books are there in the Harry Potter series? Multiply this number by 10.
Answer: 70
Add this number to the end of the website address. (In this case it would be http://quill.pottermore.com/70)
Hit 'Return' to go to the website where The Magical Quill is located.
Once you have found The Magical Quill, you will be redirected to Pottermore.com. If the registration process is still open for that day, you will be able to submit your details to register to access Pottermore early.

It's important to note that finding The Magical Quill does not guarantee you access to registration, as registration will only remain openwhile the early access places allocated for the relevant day, between 31 July to 6 August, are available.

Don't worry if you don’t manage to register first time. There will be plenty of opportunities to find The Magical Quill as we will be revealing a new clue each day from 31 July to 6 August. For those who miss out on earlyaccess to Pottermore, please note the site will be open to all from October. Keep visiting Pottermore to find out when registration commences.

We won't be telling you when a clue goes live, so you'll need to keep a careful eye on Pottermore.com over the seven-day period. However, we will let you know, via Pottermore.com and the Insider, when registration for a particular day has come to an end.

Finally, please note that we will not be enabling early access to the site straight away. Once The Magical Quill challenge is over, we will send successful early access registrants a Welcome email, letting them know whenthey will be able to access Pottermore. We won’t be able to let everyone into the Beta site at the same time, so please be patient with us. You may have to wait a few weeks for your Welcome email to arrive.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

351507454_thumb

i am in!!!

Posted by TheDoctor on July 31, 2011, 04:33 AM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

I think I found out too late. It’s not letting the page load / finding it. D:

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on July 31, 2011, 04:34 AM report to moderator

I’m soo excited! I got in!!

Posted by Luna854 on July 31, 2011, 04:37 AM report to moderator
Lexi_dumbledore_harry_wands_thumb

I did it! I registered! It was fairly easy. Don’t worry, guys. I worried for a moment because it took me to sony.com with a blank page, but it ended up fine. I guess I just have to wait for an e-mail now to confirm registration. So excited!

Posted by Lexi*the*Auror on July 31, 2011, 04:37 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

Got in too :D

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 04:39 AM report to moderator

HELP! When I catch the quill it says ‘congratulations’ and ‘begin your journey’ with an arrow. When I click on the arrow it doesn’t take me to the registration page, just to the usual pottermore.com page with the clue. Please help! Is anyone having the same difficulties?

Posted by Mel_Australia on July 31, 2011, 04:39 AM report to moderator
Images_thumb

BTW I have successively logged into Pottermore.com! My name is QuestProphecy124. See you at Hogwarts ;D

Posted by Ultimuted on July 31, 2011, 04:40 AM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

Woo did it! That was exciting.. was a hard question thats for sure.. just waiting for my email to come now!

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on July 31, 2011, 04:41 AM report to moderator
Me_thumb

you have to recatch the quill till it directs you to the registration. Keep refreshing the page. Eventually you’ll get in.

Posted by gecopeland on July 31, 2011, 04:41 AM report to moderator
Me__xd_thumb

Did it! Just waiting for the email. Has anyone got the email yet?

Posted by Naners on July 31, 2011, 04:42 AM report to moderator
Leelaharryginnyweb2_thumb

I’M IN!! And these are horrible usernames. D;

Posted by rαdιαnce° [WBM!] on July 31, 2011, 04:43 AM report to moderator
9387883_csua9n9y_c_thumb

Mine is GoldMarauder46 see you at Hogwarts… was weird not getting to have Snunkiebrian as my username it’s been my internet name for 10 years!

Posted by Snunkiebrian (Gold Marauder46) on July 31, 2011, 04:44 AM report to moderator

I GOT TO REGISTER!!!! YES!!!

Posted by SamKamHPFan on July 31, 2011, 04:44 AM report to moderator

I’m in. For some reason the link to the registration page wasn’t active when I first tried.

Posted by Mel_Australia on July 31, 2011, 04:45 AM report to moderator

@Mel_Australia That didn’t happen to me but just keep trying. I hope you get in =)

Posted by Luna854 on July 31, 2011, 04:46 AM report to moderator

He racked his brains. A really, really happy memory... one that he could turn into a good, strong Patronus...[br]The moment when he'd first found out he was a wizard, and would be leaving the Dursleys for Hogwarts! If that wasn't a happy memory, he didn't

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014