Darren Criss Confirmed as Daniel Radcliffe's Successor in "How to Succeed..."

HP Cast
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 01, 2011, 03:46 PM

Darren Criss, of "A Very Potter Musical" and "Glee" fame, has been named as Harry Potter actor Daniel Radcliffe's successor in the Broadway show, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."

According to Broadway.com, Radcliffe will be departing the musical on January 1, 2012. Criss' three-week run as the lead character J. Pierrepont Finch will last January 3rd until the 22nd. It will be his first time performing on Broadway.

Director/choreographer of "How to Succeed," Rob Ashford, had this to say about the change:

“Daniel gives an extraordinary performance eight times a week and we knew finding someone to fill his shoes would be nearly impossible. When we learned of Darren’s dream of performing on Broadway we knew we had found our Finch but presumed his 'Glee' schedule would eliminate any chance to work with him. We are ecstatic and grateful to Ryan Murphy and his 'Glee' team at 20th Century Fox TV for helping to make both Darren’s and our dream come true.”

Criss' performances will take place during "Glee's" filming hiatus. "How to Succeed..." is at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre in New York City. Tickets can already be purchased via the official site.

Congratulations, Darren Criss!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent HP Cast News

Photo_on_2011-05-29_at_12

ugh i’d much rather see daniel radcliffe than darren criss……

Posted by mollythemuggle114 on August 01, 2011, 08:45 PM report to moderator
Ravenclaw3_thumb

OMG!!!! so proud of you Darren! Congrats and we all know how great you’ll do!

Posted by Ravenclaw4eva *WBM* on August 01, 2011, 09:23 PM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

I am fed up with AVPM. It is diminishing the substance of the Harry Potter world as conceived by Jo Rowling. I wish Mr. Criss well and wish we would not hear AVPM mentioned in conjunction with the real Harry Potter universe ever again.

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on August 01, 2011, 09:26 PM report to moderator
Dhc-avatar_thumb

Aw, man! I totally squeed over this, then looked at the dates and realized that I definitely won’t be able to see Darren (I’m going to New York on a school trip in the spring), but still, this is totally awesome. I can’t wait to see videos of Darren and I’m so excited that he’s getting on Broadway! Hopefully he’ll be amazing and get to be in plenty more shows in the future. :D

Posted by The Hufflepuff Giraffe on August 01, 2011, 09:57 PM report to moderator
Hl002-1allinye_thumb

Congrats. I didn’t even realize it was him in AVPM!

Posted by jedisakora on August 01, 2011, 10:38 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How very nice.

Posted by Won_Two on August 02, 2011, 12:30 AM report to moderator
Img_0091_thumb

Congrats Darren! <3

Posted by arianneross on August 02, 2011, 12:56 AM report to moderator
Copy_of__cid__1202082132_thumb

I have to say, after seeing the show in June on vacation (which was amazing), my friend and I both discussed it afterwards and neither one of us could really imagine anyone else doing that role. Daniel just brings such a charm to it that goes beyond any of the singing and dancing that I can’t imagine anyone else being able to pull off in the same way. I’m not that familiar with Darren, I know of what he’s done but haven’t really gotten into Glee and AVPM. I hope he does well. Those I know that are familiar with his stuff say that he would be great, so I guess we’ll see. I just know he has some very big shoes to fill, because Daniel is fantastic as Finch.

Posted by he_who_must_not_be_nicknamed on August 02, 2011, 01:32 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

that’s so awesome!!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on August 02, 2011, 07:03 AM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

That is amazing! But I need to see it before Dan goes!

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on August 02, 2011, 10:05 AM report to moderator

That is totally awesome!

Posted by glow_freak on August 02, 2011, 11:07 AM report to moderator

cool!!!! wish i could see it

Posted by Harrypotter4 on August 02, 2011, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Bluehorse_thumb

Stepping into Daniel Radcliffe’s shoes once again. ;-)

Posted by Boudica on August 02, 2011, 02:01 PM report to moderator

I love life right now. Guess what is going on my X-mas list! I can only hope that he regrows his afro :)

Posted by Grace_DL on August 02, 2011, 03:06 PM report to moderator

Posted by Grace_DL on August 02, 2011, 03:06 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Sir is very kind!" he squeaked, his eyes brimming with tears again, bowing deeply to Ron. "Dobby knew sir must be a great wizard, for he is Harry Potter's greatest friend, but Dobby did not know that he was also as generous of spirit, as noble, as selfle