Early Beta Testing Access for Pottermore Begins; October Registration to Open Soon

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Edward
August 15, 2011, 11:19 AM

The Pottemore Insider Blog has just been updated to announce that early access to Pottermore has begun for those who found those Magical Quills and signed up for a chance at early access.  The blog post, in part, reads:

We’re excited to announce that early access to Pottermore has begun, so if you’re one of the million people who found The Magical Quill and registered for early access, please read the rest of this Insider  post carefully.
The most important thing to know is that we need to stagger entry to the ‘Beta’ (early) version of Pottermore so we can properly collect all the feedback. To begin with, we’ll be inviting a very small number of people onto the website, so you may not receive your Welcome email straight away.
We’ll be sending those Welcome emails out over the coming weeks and, once yours arrives, you’ll be able to log in and start helping us develop the Pottermore experience.
The blog post continues, describing the way in which beta testers may give feedback to the site, including a feedback button and survey for each beta tester.
Finally, the blog post makes mention of registration for the October.  The post states:
- If you have submitted your email address to be notified when registration is open to all, then you’ll be hearing from us soon, and you'll be able to register for entry in October.
- If you asked to be notified when registration was open to all but also registered for Beta, then you may receive two emails from us. You do not have to register for October if you already have a validated early access (Beta) account. In other words, if you received a Beta ‘Congratulations!’ message then you can ignore the ‘Pottermore registration is now open’ email (although do feel free to forward it to your friends!).
Stick very close to Leaky for the latest!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@hpgirl1996 You’re completely right about that. I wouldn’t mind all too much if they told us that was how it was going to work.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 15, 2011, 04:12 PM report to moderator

hpgirl1996 i tottaly agree with you….but here in greece the first day had begun 10 in the morning so we didnt have to wake up pretty early…

Posted by the_chosen_one4 on August 15, 2011, 04:12 PM report to moderator
Ginny_weasley_thumb

I’m checking my email so often that like right when I turn off my laptop I have to turn it on like 10 minutes later.
:) ginnyw7

Posted by ginnyw7 on August 15, 2011, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

has anyone tried to verify if entry is being determined by age? I didn’t get register until day 4 and still no email, but honestly, if they are letting those under a certain age in first I don’t mind that at all. I’m a grown women and a mother and I can wait for the kids to have a go first.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 15, 2011, 04:19 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

has anyone tried to verify if entry is being determined by age? I didn’t get registered until day 4 and still no email, but honestly, if they are letting those under a certain age in first I don’t mind that at all. As a grown up and a mother I can wait for the kids to have a go first. It’s so much harder to wait when you’re a child, and Jo would understand that.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 15, 2011, 04:21 PM report to moderator

loveslaborlost i dont think so…although im a child too and i have my final exams and that depends in which university ill get in …so i hope they’ll send my email before septeber…

Posted by the_chosen_one4 on August 15, 2011, 04:22 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

sorry for the double post. I tried to stop the post to make some corrections and it obviously didn’t work.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 15, 2011, 04:27 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

LovesLaborLost: It might be a mixture of some of the day 1 people and some others, maybe under 13s, maybe non-English speakers (the Terms and Conditions do give that as an exception to whatever first come first served applies to), and perhaps some out-of-place for some other reason (one possibility I have thought of is that if an account is deleted or not verified, perhaps that slot or account name when reused retains its original position in the order of activation).

Posted by roonwit on August 15, 2011, 04:32 PM report to moderator

i m from greece although i speak english….have they asked us if we speak english?

Posted by the_chosen_one4 on August 15, 2011, 04:33 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mwfpc2fgyd1qan42po1_250_thumb
20964 Points

I hope I get my email soon, by the end of the month at the latest. Or else the early registration is a bit of a waste, even thought it was fun. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on August 15, 2011, 04:35 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

the_chosen_one4: By non-English speakers I meant those who registered their account using one of the other languages available.

Posted by roonwit on August 15, 2011, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Penna_thumb

Does anybody know if they grant people access in multiple waves a day? Or do they just let in a bunch of people once a day? If it’s just once a day, I won’t keep checking my email every few minutes haha.

Posted by Penna on August 15, 2011, 04:40 PM report to moderator
Hermione_thumb

My guess would be, since it’s 9:00 pm in England, that they are done for the day. However, I know absolutely nothing about IT so it may be possible to release the emails without having people actually there to do it.

Posted by LovesLaborLost on August 15, 2011, 04:45 PM report to moderator

Pottermore is really amazing! Honestly, they must have working so long for this! I appreciate it and I do hope Pottermore would live up to people’s expectations! But I certainly think it will, considering Jo hasn’t disappointed yet! And thank you to MyLeaky for the update!

Posted by . on August 15, 2011, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Yes, it is possible to do things automatically at any time. However they are more likely to do that later in the beta period, as I think they would want someone there for the first few batches doing the release manually in case anything unusual happens.

Posted by roonwit on August 15, 2011, 05:02 PM report to moderator

"Well, I can certainly see why we're trying to keep them alive," said Malfoy sarcastically. "Who wouldn't want pets that can burn, sting, and bite all at once?"

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014