Rumor: Harry Potter Series to be Bundled with Sony's New E-Reader

Books
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 16, 2011, 03:09 PM

The Register is reporting that Sony has gained "early electronic rights" to the Harry Potter e-books and that Sony's next generation e-reader, expected to be released in November, will come bundled with the 7 Harry Potter books plus a letter from J.K. Rowling, subscription to Pottermore and a themed carry case.

Please note that at the moment this is still under the rumor category and has not been confirmed by Sony, a Pottermore sponsor, or J.K. Rowling.

The Harry Potter e-books are expected to be sold exclusively through Pottermore when the site opens to all.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

It looks like there is an update to the Register article that Sony won’t get exclusive early release, according to someone from Rowling’s side. I have a Nook, which I bought last spring before we went on vacation. I always take my mp3 player with all the HP books (Stephen Fry version), but I also like have a book to read. This time I was able to take over 30 books with me – it was great because once I took only one book and found I hated the book and had nothing to read. At some point, paper books probably will go away, but not for a while. There are still books that aren’t available as e-books, especially ones that are out of print or aren’t as well-read.

Don’t get me wrong – I still love all my books and don’t plan to get rid of them. Sometimes a book that has pages I can turn or can write in the margins is just what I want. But I am looking forward to having all the HP books on my Nook.

Posted by Eeyore on August 17, 2011, 01:07 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Why would Jo put the books on an E-reader platform that is clearly the ‘BetaMax’ of the readers? Kindle would be a far better choice!

Posted by Won_Two on August 17, 2011, 01:17 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

I keep debating about buying an e-reader, but I think this bundle would be way too expensive, with all the books on it. (The case would be nice to have, though.)

Posted by izziewitch on August 17, 2011, 02:38 PM report to moderator

I’m torn about e-books too but when I look at my first copy of Philosopher (which is literally loose pages with an elastic band around them so I don’t lose any) I think it might be nice to have a copy that’s never going to fall apart. It will NEVER replace my original copy, or the memories that lay between its pages, but it would also mean preventing further damage to it. I already own seven deteriorating copies of Philosopher and, much as I love the smell of new books, it’d be nice to have one that lasts.

Posted by glow_freak on August 17, 2011, 04:06 PM report to moderator
Dscn0194_thumb
1921 Points

Know what you mean. My copies of GoF, HBP and even DH are really sad, falling apart. Guess they don’t make books like they used to!

Posted by izziewitch on August 17, 2011, 05:47 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_girl_thumb

Uh.. Pottermore subscription?

Posted by Gvantsa on August 17, 2011, 07:09 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lpj3u7got11qb4krdo1_500_thumb

That will be fantastic :)

Posted by Harry-Potter.fan on August 17, 2011, 08:51 PM report to moderator
The_dance__76__100_cw85_ch85_thumb_thumb

I’ve got a kindle so I’ll definitely be getting the books but I don’t think I’d get the Sony e-reader unless it’s a HP special edition or theme… If it was that would be a tough decision!

Posted by Harry Bensley on August 17, 2011, 11:45 PM report to moderator

Maybe it’s a special edition thing from somewhere?
Since the whole thing about Pottermore is the E-reading stuff i dont think that some one would get the rights of the books which will contradict one of the points of the site.

Posted by Mr.Bones on August 18, 2011, 12:50 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

i would give anything for this rumor to become true LOL

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 18, 2011, 08:30 AM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

I actually would like this bundle, I have been considering an e-reader for the reasons others have mentioned. I spend a lot of time at ball practices and after school activities just sitting and waiting and like to take a book to read. It would be nice to have many to choose from and not have to have 100 pounds worth of books to lug around.

I can’t wait to see if there is some sort of special edition for the HP books.

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on August 18, 2011, 02:30 PM report to moderator
Ginger_family_thumb

I’ll just wait until themed carry cases come out for the other readers, which I’m sure would happen very shortly after the ebooks are released, and save myself the money. I’m a purist at heart when it comes to reading and nothing compares to a paperback/hardcover “real” book imho but, I do enjoy the convenience of taking along the Kindle when I go on trips and having numerous books at my fingertips. I never really used it when I’m home since I have my books with me. I say whatever works for you, is what’s right for you and each to his own.

Posted by gingerfan on August 22, 2011, 10:33 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

That would be cool! Now if only the Kobo gets it too….

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 02, 2011, 04:39 PM report to moderator
Wand_thumb

That would be cool! Now if only the Kobo gets it too….

Posted by #1 Witch ROAR! on September 02, 2011, 04:42 PM report to moderator
Me_001_thumb

Love my Nook and can’t wait to be able to get the HP books on it… Nothing will replace my hardcover versions, nor my (Jim Dale) audio-books, but having the whole series at my fingertips on a device that weighs less than a pound that I can take wherever I go, well, they will join my other favorite books on my Nook.. I also can’t wait to see what Pottermore has to offer…..

Posted by verytas on December 05, 2011, 11:05 AM report to moderator

"Harry Potter asks if he can help Dobby... Dobby has heard of your greatness, sir, but of your goodness, Dobby never knew...."