Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Rofr10_thumb

Day 2 opened at 09:00 UTC. That would be convenient for European countries, less so for South and Central America.

Posted by roonwit on August 29, 2011, 04:46 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Well… all right… another day without getting into PM… I really will be very happy when one of us lot, who have stick together through this great expectation, gets their mail… I’ll join in your celebration – I promise! (I’ll just envy you a little perhaps, if I haven’t received mine ha ha haha) :)

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 29, 2011, 04:47 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@ Headmistress You still forgetting about the survey after completing the PM. As about the Sorting questions, from what I hear from lots of different ppl, now I believe they are transformed into percentages, as if adding stones at every house, with you belonging, as a result, where you have added more. Just an opinion, might change along the way. Hope you’ll envoy PM!

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 04:51 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@roonwit Do you really think fans care about convenient? First days where a frenzy.

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 04:57 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

@Headmistress LemonFaerie, I think several would join me in saying that we are really happy that you and your family ALL got in already… is just that at this point we all get a little upset to read someone complaining about what to do or don’t do IN Pottermore because we all are complaining about NOT being even IN. (Those who found the Quill on the first day, tend to get a little more upset.)
So, I don’t think anyone meant to offend you, we are just sensitive about this subject. Everyone in here L O V E S Harry Potter and his world and we all want to be part of this new project ASAP.
Enjoy Pottermore!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on August 29, 2011, 04:59 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Headmistress LemonFaerie: I imagine the answers are given a score for each house, and you get the house that scores most. Some people have been given the choice of two houses which presumably scored the same. Some answers do seem to correspond to a house, others are less obvious.

Posted by roonwit on August 29, 2011, 05:05 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Now there are 111,679!… Hope my letter will come sooner!

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 06:12 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

@Halblood Princess Thanks for posting that so I don’t have to. And yea, I feel exactly the same way…we’re all just jealous of you and can’t stand to see anyone complain when they’re in on the fun while we’re being shunned. :P

Also, @Headmistress, it’s a quiz. Most quizzes have percentages to which house you got for every question, and they add up in the end to see the highest percent, which makes the highest percent your house. <— Sorry if that sounded confusing.. I don’t think your son and daughter got ALL of the same exact questions, otherwise they wouldn’t be in the same house.

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on August 29, 2011, 06:18 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@S Palms As I recall Headmistress said they got some of the questions same. But now I wonder if the wand choosing doesn’t also weight for being sorted… You know, it’s additional info they already have about you when you get sorted – after all, it’s a Sorting Computer, not a Sorting Hat!

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 06:25 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

cb160: I also had the idea that they might take account of how long you took to answer the questions. For some of them that struck me as probably a better indication of your house than the answer you give.

Posted by roonwit on August 29, 2011, 06:35 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@roonwit Yes, but in which way? A quick answer goes for you having definite options, or taking your time gets you in Ravenclaw? And take into consideration one more thing: the person which made the questions may have a slightly different understanding or feeling of them than the one which answers, because we use the same words, but often understand different things by them.

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 06:40 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@roonwit And now, if I think better, I suppose that even what you don’t choose can get you in a certain house.

Posted by cb160 on August 29, 2011, 06:51 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Headmistress, having known you so well, for so many years here on Leaky, I can certainly understand your great disappointment at not being sorted into Gryffindor. In many ways I see you as one of a select few quintessential ‘Gryffies’ I have met here in almost a decade of visiting Leaky. I can tell you with all earnestness, that should I not be sorted into Ravenclaw… I too shall be profoundly unhappy! I know from reading & hearing so very many similar stories from so many Potter pals of mine who are equally upset with their sorting, that when it comes time to submit the surveys, there will certainly be a very, very large number of them expressing the view that there ought to be a way to influence the sorting outcome other than by dissolving accounts and trying the sorting again… That just seems rather unkind, inefficient, and unproductive to me. We shall see… I await my invitation owl with great anticipation.
See you at the Castle soon! ;+)

Posted by Won_Two on August 29, 2011, 07:49 PM report to moderator
Epjpegutil31_thumb

i hope i get an email soon!

Posted by Fresca ROAR on August 29, 2011, 07:50 PM report to moderator
100gundlach_s_hawk_thumb

For everyone who is irritated at Headmistress Lemonfaerie you have no idea of the loyalty, effort, blood, sweat, tears, and stamina this woman has put into the Harry Potter experience. She blistered the ears of Warner Brothers when they delayed HBP in the theaters, drowned them in howlers in red envelopes. So, she takes this seriously and she puts her “money where her mouth is”. She isn’t whining. So, if anyone deserved to be in early on the Beta it is her.

I am still waiting like most of our friends but I don’t begrudge her being there before me although I would like to be there too.

Posted by Lady Hawke on August 29, 2011, 08:58 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Well, now we know what to do next time I can't manage a spell," Harry said, throwing a rune dictionary back to Hermione, so he could try again, "threaten me with a dragon. Right..." He raised his wand once more. [i]"Accio Dictionary!"[/i]