Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

It’s way too quiet out there. Apparently no email was sent today – disappointing that they didn’t/couldn’t take advantage of the Sept. 1 date. I suppose they could still send some out today, but it usually seems to happen in the morning here (central US). Even if I didn’t expect mine I really thought I’d wake up to a bunch of excited tweets.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 01, 2011, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Oh! Right! Hogwarts starts today!!!! You’re right, they should’ve taken advantage of the date! So sad no mails were delivered today…

Posted by Halfblood Princess on September 01, 2011, 11:24 AM report to moderator
Harrypottercoat_of_arms_thumb

The Hogwarts Express has gone without me! I’m a day 3, too – going to be verrry verrry late – where’s a flying car when you need one? Anyone know what the last owl count is?

Posted by LilynLuna on September 01, 2011, 11:34 AM report to moderator

@LilynLuna Someone just posted on Twitter that the number’s up to 142,020.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 01, 2011, 11:49 AM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

That still is a very low number…

Posted by Halfblood Princess on September 01, 2011, 12:01 PM report to moderator

@Halfblood Princess Yep, it is! I seriously hope this isn’t the start of the big pause, especially since that last Insider mentioned “the next week or so”. I’d be quite disappointed if that translated into just Monday and Tuesday of this week. I’m hoping this is just a small pause before sending out an extra large batch of email tomorrow.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 01, 2011, 01:09 PM report to moderator

Though, we don’t know if it’s going to be a “big” pause, or just a couple of days pause. They blog post seemed to indicate that they have been pausing after every batch is sent out to see how the site is doing, and that, after the batch let out this week, a similar pause will happen. If we are now in that pause (since no new emails have happened in 2 days now), hopefully they’ll start back up by early next week. … hopes

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on September 01, 2011, 01:26 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Anyway, I absolutely don’t like that they are keeping us in the dark!

Posted by cb160 on September 01, 2011, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Halloween-crimson-witch-bnac533_thumb

Nooooooooo! We can’t be in “the pause” already!
Geez! If we are, this means that we won’t be able to get into PM for… who knows what!!!! Oh, boy!

Posted by Halfblood Princess on September 01, 2011, 01:50 PM report to moderator

The insider also said they would answer more questions this week. Hoping to hear something soon.

Posted by GNewt23 on September 01, 2011, 01:57 PM report to moderator

This is what makes me think there will be a bigger pause: “We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.” It’s the “a while” that’s getting me. To me that’s longer than a pause ;)

The way I read it was that they’d be sending out a somewhat steady stream this week, possibly into next, then they would stop (maybe for an entire week?). After that they would send out more. My gut feeling is that if you don’t get your letter by early next week, you’re stuck until the end of September (~19th or later). I HOPE that’s not what will happen, but I think it’s a likely scenario.

And while they never said (to my knowledge) when in October the site would open to everyone, the natural assumption is the first of the month. If they are indeed looking at a Halloween launch due to the significance of the date in the Potterverse, they would greatly benefit themselves by putting “late October” in all of their communication. I’m sure there are going to be a LOT of people trying to get in on October 1st. I know they can’t really specify a date right now, but I hope they are preparing to put out PR fires on 10-1 (though hopefully they’ll make announcements at the end of September to further clarify the date).

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 01, 2011, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

MagicBclPlyr: They say “Pottermore will be open to all from the beginning of October 2011” in the magic quill help pages.

Posted by roonwit on September 01, 2011, 03:29 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

@ purplehogwarts&mencia Only now I’m sitting properly at my computer, seen notifications.

Posted by cb160 on September 01, 2011, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

142,341 half one hour on PM.

Posted by cb160 on September 01, 2011, 03:49 PM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

I honestly hope there will be another batch tomorrow although I doubt my owl come

Posted by mencia on September 01, 2011, 03:51 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

Harry looked down at his own wand. He could see finger marks all over it. He gathered a fistful of robe from his knee and tried to rub it clean surreptitiously. Several gold sparks shot out of the end of it. Fleur Delacour gave him a very patronizing look