Pottermore Insider Answers Questions About Beta Testing and Welcome E-Mails

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 25, 2011, 03:35 PM

A new blog post has gone up on the Pottermore Insider following the latest batch of welcome e-mails which were sent out today.

Several frequently asked questions about the beta process are covered in this latest update as well as the timeline for receiving welcome e-mails. The Insider also denies the rumor that welcome letters will be sent out sooner to those who have been friended by other Pottermore users.

Beta phases are fluid and it’s important to watch and see how a site reacts to increasing amounts of users and activity.

Every time more people are added to Pottermore, we take a pause and look at how the site is responding to see if everything is working as we expect it to and whether we need to make changes before we let more people into Pottermore.

We are planning on giving more people early access over the next week or so and then we will pause sending Welcome emails for a while so that we can see how things are going.

Unfortunately, we can’t create a schedule to share, as we need to respond to what we learn with each group of new users. That’s also why there are gaps between the batches of Welcome emails; it all depends on what we’re learning from those who are currently on the site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Thanks, @purplehogwarts ;)

While Jo may think of everything, I’m not sure the actual devs working on Pottermore do. I’m guessing they’re probably more computer people than HP fans, so significant dates in the books might not mean a whole lot to them. This is a big deal to us fans, to them it’s probably just another job… albeit a big one.

And, yes, we better hear something today. Even telling us their update won’t happen until next week is better than silence.

Also, they truly must not have sent out any owls since Tuesday – the number sorted has been creeping up, not jumping up like when they sent out email batches.

Unless this pause is due to the allegations of cheating and they’re investigating that before letting others in? I wouldn’t have a problem with that at all – if they let us know that’s what they’re doing.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 02, 2011, 08:49 AM report to moderator

Twitter has folks saying the site is down right now for updates.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 02, 2011, 08:50 AM report to moderator

Agreed, given the slow climb in numbers sorted, and the lack of excited twitterings, there definitely hasn’t been a batch out since Tuesday. Which leads me to think we’re indeed in the “pause.” Which, to be honest, would be fine by me since it would mean we’re already 3 days into the pause and hopefully that means we’re be on the other end of the pause by next week (which then hopefully means bigger batches)… i just noticed i said “hopefully” a lot right there… it’s kind of all there is to cling to at the moment i suppose.

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on September 02, 2011, 10:30 AM report to moderator
Dobby_thumb

ok, it is now september 2 and i am very dissapointed! no owls yet, and even though i didn’t find the quill until day 3, i thought alot of us would be in by now, considering pm opens to all in october. what are the odds they will let more people in over the holiday weekend? please, pm let us know something!!!

Posted by jennluvsharry on September 02, 2011, 11:08 AM report to moderator

Wow, it’s only crept up to 144,310 per someone on Twitter. Apparently the stragglers from previous batches have finally gotten sorted.

It’s the complete lack of communication that’s bothering me (and everyone else!)

Like I said before, I really don’t expect to get in until later due to when I found the quill. But at least I could tell things were moving along; that helped me endure the wait.

And then I got excited to see Hunger Games was doing an interactive promotional thing, but we have to wait for that as well! Ack! I’m waiting for everything it seems! I thought that might give me a distraction from waiting on PM news… (I’m District 11 – Agriculture, in case anyone’s wondering ;)

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 02, 2011, 11:57 AM report to moderator

PM is teaching us to be virtuous. “Patience is a virtue.”
In our society of immediate feedback, we have not learned (or remembered) that good things come to those who wait. That being said, I would like my owl now, please!
New, cool, things take time to get right. Waiting is not easy, but it is being offered to us for free and all of the coding and re-coding that goes into a program of this size cannot be easy (or all of us would have done it already). They ONLY promised we would get in before the rest of the “non-quillers”, and that we would get to give feedback. They never said we would get to be on the site for weeks before everyone else; that is what WE assumed.
Jumping off soap-box now.

Posted by GNewt23 on September 02, 2011, 12:09 PM report to moderator
Vanishing_cabinet_thumb

Updates are the only thing that give me a reason to be happy that I haven’t gotten my email yet. Improvements. :) And I suppose they really must be working now, considering there haven’t been any emails..well, probably. :P

Posted by Sara Greengrass (S Palms) on September 02, 2011, 12:22 PM report to moderator

I’m usually a rather patient person (my husband is often amazed at my patience). And, yes, good things take time. I truly don’t expect to get in until late September (but I do question the wisdom of wanting feedback from people who could potentially be in there only a week before the world at large – doesn’t seem like we’d be able to give thorough feedback at that point)

The part that is trying my patience right now isn’t the fact that I’m not in – it is the horrible lack of communication from PM officials this week. Especially when they said they’d have a Q&A and IMO strongly implied they would be sending out a steady stream of owls this week.

Just something simple like, “An unexpected issue came up! We’re sorry we haven’t updated the Insider for a while. Check back with us in a few days” would go a LONG way in public relations. I’m willing to forgive quite a lot IF there is communication to go along with it. I think the fact that we live in an “instant gratification” world is even more reason to be proactive with communication.

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 02, 2011, 12:31 PM report to moderator
Flowers1_thumb

@MagicBclPlyr – I agree. They need to tell us at least something today. Anything. The more they communicate with us, the more understanding we can be :)

Posted by purplehogwarts on September 02, 2011, 01:36 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Update on PM, guys!

Posted by cb160 on September 02, 2011, 01:47 PM report to moderator

Came on here to post the same thing, @cb160 :) Another batch got sent out – good luck everyone!

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 02, 2011, 01:49 PM report to moderator

More Welcome emails are being sent out today (Friday 2 September), from approximately 6:15pm (BST). Source: http://insider.pottermore.com/

flails

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on September 02, 2011, 01:50 PM report to moderator

I’d seen a few excited tweets, but didn’t want to say anything here until the Insider confirmed it. Wonder how many went out?

Posted by MagicBclPlyr on September 02, 2011, 01:50 PM report to moderator
Images_thumb

Going to watch my National’s game now, be back in 2!

Posted by cb160 on September 02, 2011, 01:51 PM report to moderator

woah! and another blog update post with the promised gameplay q&a! http://insider.pottermore.com/2011/09/from-duelling-to-potions.html

Posted by Rosalinda Rosmerta on September 02, 2011, 02:00 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"[Lockhart] hasn't got a clue who he is, or where he is, or who we are... He's a danger to himself."[br]Lockhart peered good-naturedly up at them all.[br]"Hello," he said. "Odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?"[br]"No," said Ron, raising h