David Heyman Offers New Insight Into Challenges of "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Epilogue Scene

DH Film
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 06, 2011, 11:30 AM

The LA Times has published a new interview with Harry Potter producer David Heyman about the challenges the cast and crew faced when filming the epilogue scene in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."

On the decision to not cast older actors to play Harry, Ron and Hermione:

“After all we have been through with these characters, the way that a generation has grown up with them, they need to be the ones on screen when it’s time to bring it to a close,” said Heyman, who was a key decision-maker back when Radcliffe and his costars were first cast in their roles back in 2000. “There’s an expectation — even if it is not articulated — that they need to be on the screen when it’s coming to an end.”
Why the first epilogue shoot didn't work:
“Rupert looked like he was about 75 years old with the triple chin and the belly, he looked like he had really lived as a lush,” Heyman said. “We knew we needed to rework the makeup.  There was another problem, too, shooting at the train station proved quite challenging for some of the younger kids who played the children of Harry, Ron and Hermione. It was really noisy every few minutes a train from Liverpool would pull in on one of the other tracks. We only had our one track closed.”
How re-shooting the epilogue scene at Leavesden Studios "made all the difference in the world:"
Heyman has said the hushed control of the Leavesden soundstages provided “the place to get the needed intimacy” but the timing also created the unexpected benefit of making the epilogue the “true” last scene made by the young stars. Film scenes are rarely shot in the same order they are shown on-screen but in this instance the farewell feeling brought an evocative gravity to the day.

“We should have thought to film it last in the first place,” Heyman said Wednesday. “It created a reality of sorts to the feelings in the scene and in the air. And I think now we’ve heard from the rest of the world that it worked. In the end, we used some shots from King’s Cross, too, to make a hybrid. There was a little bit of CG as well. The combination is subtle, which it needed to be.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent DH Film News

Da_thumb

they did a great job :’)

Posted by harrypotter4258 on August 07, 2011, 11:27 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_watson_2012_emma_ft__654654r_thumb

I think the epilogue in the book was better than the epilogue in the movie. I still liked it though. I bet it’s hard for the actors now that HP is done.

Buckbeak_thumb

They must have been glad when they got to take the old people makeup off.

Posted by Girlraven1 on August 07, 2011, 01:53 PM report to moderator
Dhcalendar_thumb

I don’t care what anyone says, I loved the epilogue and know I will never be able to watch it without having a sinking in my stomach, just like when reading the epilogue in the books. I nearly cried just seeing the picture of all three of them on this article.

Posted by Brianna on August 07, 2011, 04:01 PM report to moderator

Am so glad they reshot that scene. The earlier photos that were leaked were asolutely dreadful and that’s being kind. This was much better!!!

Posted by hewy on August 07, 2011, 04:08 PM report to moderator
Z_thumb

I thought emma looked exactly the same as an adult.

Posted by chocolaterabbits on August 07, 2011, 05:35 PM report to moderator
6-8b2a0dac50cab1dc7808800c700d3762_thumb_thumb

I’m still sad they didn’t put Teddy into the epilogue especially as JK Rowling had said that he was one of the main reasons she’d written the epilogue. Although of course I did tear up as it zoomed onto the trio…the end of an era :)

Posted by teamtonks on August 07, 2011, 06:51 PM report to moderator
41469_741460511_8404_n_thumb

I loved the scene, I hope the cut one ends up as extra footage on DVD when it comes out, my only complaint is I wish they would have shown Teddy.Radcliffe looked great.

Posted by cjbg1980 on August 07, 2011, 07:48 PM report to moderator

Though I thought the ‘aging make-up’ was ok, I was disappointed with the epilogue scene. What was missing for me was the friendship chemistry between Harry, Herminone and Ron. The way they interacted (or rather the way they didn’t interact) on the platform made it look like they were barely nodding acquaintances. Is that what is supposed to happen to friendship when you become an adult?! I sure hope not.

Posted by McGonnagrrl on August 08, 2011, 02:41 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

they did a good job witht the make up

Posted by mencia on August 08, 2011, 05:00 AM report to moderator
Movies_ootp_premieries_imax_001_thumb

The epilogue was really very touchy. I cried my eyes out seeing them all grown up.

Posted by Azaad Potter The Chosen One [ROAR] on August 08, 2011, 08:01 AM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

I was so happy they decided to use the original actors for the epilogue. I thought they looked okay, although Rupert’s tummy made me laugh. But seeing as how Ron loved to eat, the belly was appropriate. I agree with previous posters that it really would have been super to see Teddy all grown up.

Posted by AvanelleWood on August 08, 2011, 12:35 PM report to moderator
Iconator_ff20bdd615cdbf54d1de3fc9cdfe44ed_thumb

I absolutely LOVED the way the series ended. It was superb. I gets me every time.

Posted by Harry89 !ROAR! on August 08, 2011, 01:35 PM report to moderator
Luna_lovegood_thumb

I thought they were going to use their parents or something, but i’m glad they didn’t. I <3 it

Posted by ilovequiddichsofi on August 08, 2011, 05:30 PM report to moderator
Death_eater_thumb

I think they looked great! Lord knows I can relate to the way they aged Ron.I dont look anything like I did at 17! I have in fact aged 17 years and I think they looked close to it.

Posted by Max Power on August 08, 2011, 05:46 PM report to moderator

"Yeah, that's right!" Harry found himself shouting as he wheeled around in the corridor, having had just about enough. "I've just been crying my eyes out over my dead mum, and I'm just off to do a bit more..."