"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Nominated for 3 Technical Oscars

Honors/Awards
Posted by: Stephanie_J
January 24, 2012, 08:43 AM

The nominations for the 84th Academy Awards were announced this morning. In the technical categories, "Deathly Hallows: Part 2" came away with three nominations. They are:

Art Direction
Production Design: Stuart Craig; Set Decoration: Stephenie McMillan

Makeup
Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng

Visual Effects
Tim Burke, David Vickery, Greg Butler and John Richardson

Two former Potter actors were also recognized for their achievements this year. Gary Oldman (Sirius Black) was nominated in the Leading Actor category for his work in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy," and Kenneth Branagh (Gilderoy Lockhart) for Supporting Actor in "My Week with Marilyn."

Congratulations to the Harry Potter crew for their nominations!

~*~
Special announcement: Leaky is looking for news editors! If you have what it takes, email us at news [at] the-leaky-cauldron [dot] org.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Honors/Awards News

Hermione_thumb

yay, first one to comment
well done 2 HP for being nominated but they didnt win! awwww
and now theres no next time

Posted by lilyluna257 on January 24, 2012, 10:16 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

It’s great that the special effects and make-up teams are getting some recognition, without them the movie would barley add up to anything.They’re awesome! :D

Posted by Grindylow_101 on January 24, 2012, 10:39 AM report to moderator

Yay for the nominations. Feel much more upset than I thought I would be about HP2 being excluded in Best Picture or Alan Rickman for Supporting Actor. I think I’ll be having a HP Marathon on Oscars night instead.

Posted by Curandera on January 24, 2012, 11:08 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

I never watch the dumb Oscars anyway. They pretty much refuse to honor films that the majority of filmgoers want to see, anyway. Hollywood arrogantly lives off movies like DH2 in order to fund depressing little art projects that they subsequently reward with their special honors. Personally, I cannot believe Desplat was not nominated for score. Honestly, I expected it to be horrid but I so love it now!!!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on January 24, 2012, 11:24 AM report to moderator
-_owl_post_-_thumb

I hope they win!

PS: lilyluna257, these are just the nominations. We don’t know who will win yet. Not until February or something, when the Oscars ceremony takes place.

Posted by Felipe on January 24, 2012, 11:44 AM report to moderator
Mugsp_profile_thumb

I knew to not get my hopes up for Harry Potter but I’m still sad. What puzzles me is how can a film be the best reviewed movie of the year and then get snubbed by these awards. I bet if there were 10 Best Picture nominations Harry Potter would have taken the final slot. I’m disappointed they only got 3 technical nominations. At the Golden Globes they won for sound. How dare the academy give it to Transformers and neglect Deathly Hallows. I would have also liked to seen nominations in Writing (Adapted Screenplay), Cinematography and Editing. I knew it would be too much to ask for anything in directing or acting.

Posted by eiVega on January 24, 2012, 12:11 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Typical Hollywood BS…. Tech nominations for the best film of the year… All because its a “kids” film…. Thats how the ‘Academy’ sees it!

Posted by Won_Two on January 24, 2012, 12:51 PM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

I have to agree with Won_Two. This is just plain BS. Happy for the three tech noms, but still heartbroken over Rickman – JONAH HILL??? Come on!

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on January 24, 2012, 01:13 PM report to moderator
Assassin_of_the_tsar_thumb

It’s always the best films that loose or don’t get nominated at all. I think awards like there are bullsh**! They don’t care about what others think, thankfully Twilight wasn’t nominated at all. But I think HP should have also be nominated for best score, editing(Mark Day did an AMAZING job!!), adapted screenplay and best supporting actor, and also add another category, “Best on screen death”. Anyone agree? I jope HP wins all three nominations as well as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, My Week With Marilyn, and Anonymous or Jane Eyre(they are in same category. By the way (some of you), the awards haven’t been choosen yet, the ceremony will take place at 26 Februaryat Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, California. Just so you know.

Posted by Milla Aiko Indie on January 24, 2012, 02:38 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Well I’m massively dissapointed Part 2 didnt get more nominations, though I’m not surprised. :( Lets all hope they win these three anyway. And what a snub they gave Alan Rickman after his truly amazing and moving performance!!

Posted by LunaLuver on January 24, 2012, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

It would indeed be nice for Stuart Craig get some official recognition from the industry for the phenomenal job that he did in creating the ‘look’ of the entire HP saga on film (not to mention a very classy-looking theme park, which until WWoHP would’ve been an automatic oxymoron). But I’m not holding my breath. And it was Alan Rickman who made tens of millions of moviegoers weep unashamedly – not those other guys.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on January 24, 2012, 03:14 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Yes, I thought I was resigned to this but I find I actually feel really disappointed and quite indignant on behalf of Alan Rickman. He gave so much in that role. @Amanda Emilie, yes, they should have invented that category especially for him.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on January 24, 2012, 03:33 PM report to moderator

Honestly guys, Part 2 only is the “monument” that it is because of Jo’s story. In terms of actual filmmaking, there are some serious problems happening in that movie. All the problems I have with it everytime I see it can be put down to the directing and the writing.
That said, Desplat 100% deserved a nomination for the score, which was beyond brilliant and held the entire movie together, despite the gaping plot-holes.
A nom for Rickman would have been nice, but there you are.
Whether it get a million nominations or a hundred, the books will always be in my heart, and I therefore (regardless of their faults) love the movies unconditionally.

Posted by pottermate on January 24, 2012, 05:04 PM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

HOW DARE THEY????? i am going to write them a letter!!! i was expecting at least 1 nom outside of the technical department!!!!! this makes me soo mad! they will never have another chance for this and they get snubbed AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this was the BEST reviewed movie of the year and look how its treated!!!!!!!!!! harry potter and the deathly hallows is third for most box office money made and the only to movies in front of it is avatar and the titanic!!!! and the both got oscars!!!!! just because its a “kids” film does not mean that it cant get nominated!!!!!!
sorry for that rant i am throughly frusterated right now!

Posted by the mudblood princess:)/ginnylove101 {WBM}=:) on January 24, 2012, 06:43 PM report to moderator

CONGRATS! But once again, why isn’t the ACTORS and DIRECTOR and PRODUCERS not recognized?

Posted by . on January 24, 2012, 10:08 PM report to moderator

[Harry] had never before considered the possibility that there might be another teacher in the world he hated more than Snape, but as he walked back toward Gryffindor Tower he had to admit he had found a contender. [i]She's evil,[/i] he thought, as he cli