"Deathly Hallows: Part 2" Winner of Special Visual Effects at BAFTA Awards; Dan Radcliffe and Harry Potter Cast Attend

Film Awards
Posted by: Stephanie_J
February 12, 2012, 06:00 PM

Congratulations are in order for John Richardson and the special effects team of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2" for winning the BAFTA for Special Visual Effects!

The award was presented at a ceremony in London tonight, which was attended by several actors who once made up the cast of "Harry Potter." In attendance was Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter), Bonnie Wright (Ginny Weasley), Kenneth Branagh (Gilderoy Lockhard), Gary Oldman (Sirius Black), Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldemort), Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) and John Hurt (Ollivander), who won the award for Outstanding Contribution to British Cinema.

Photos from the event can be seen at the official BAFTA website at this link. We hope to have some more in the gallery soon.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Film Awards News

CONGRATS!!! :DD I still feel like they were snubbed. . . .

Posted by . on February 12, 2012, 07:32 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

Yeah, me too! Nominated for only two awards, and they won only one o:(
Dan did a great job presenting one of the awards, though.
And I liked Stephen Fry, who is of course the ‘voice’ of the audio books.

Posted by Tarana on February 12, 2012, 07:54 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I greatly enjoyed watching the BAFTAs. Stephen Fry was just great, actually mentioning HP more than once, kudos to him for that. Dan was great, Helena looks lovely, and at least they did win one award. To which the visula effects people basically said was a long time coming. A really wonderful award show. I didnt see Bonnie there though, must have been farther back. And I do with Emma would have been there though. Odd that she wasnt, because last night she gave the Lancome pre BAFTAs party. =)

Posted by LunaLuver on February 13, 2012, 01:51 AM report to moderator
Ed-in-chief_thumb

FINALLY! About bloody time (sorry)!

Posted by chikitcorpuzvesterbaek on February 13, 2012, 02:02 AM report to moderator
Hufflepuff_lj_100_thumb
1985 Points

Congrats to the special visual effects team. Well deserved! To bad they didn’t win the other awards.

Posted by jhangelgurl (ITC!) on February 13, 2012, 08:28 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

This does feel like merely a bone thrown to the dogs, doesn’t it? Not that the visual effects team didn’t deserve it; I just think that there seems to be a lot of envy out there over the monetary success of DH2 and the HP franchise in general, and that the industry doesn’t want to acknowledge its artistic merit. DH2 should have won more BAFTAs (it was certainly a better movie than that grossly overrated, lightweight, retro bagatelle ‘The Artist’) and will likely get stiffed at the Oscars as well, I fear.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 13, 2012, 02:16 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

@WeenyOwl, I agree about ‘The Artist’. I found it reasonably enjoyable, but it wasn’t the great cinema experience I’d been hoping for. And I can’t understand on what grounds it could be so emphatically preferred to DH2, unless it was the novelty value of the retro format.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on February 13, 2012, 04:23 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I quite enjoyed watching the BAFTAs, disappointed that Stuart Craig and Stephanie McMillan didn’t win the Production design award, Stephen Fry did mention the success of Deathly Hallows 2 which was good, but I think we need to be a bit more chilled about the lack of nominations for the major awards, that is just the way it is, awards are the industry patting itself on the back and many worthy candidates are not nominated. Whoever wins any of the awards will be beating people who are equally worthy. Dan Radcliffe commented, in an interview with Mark Kermode a few days before, that given the amount of money DH2 made and the number of people who went to see it, that they didn’t really need more of a pat on the back than that. He also said his previous comment about them being snubbed was simply from having been asked the question so many times he just said something different, but he didn’t really think of it as a snub.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on February 14, 2012, 01:38 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Congratulations to them but one award? :/

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on February 14, 2012, 10:55 AM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

@LunaLuver (“I didnt see Bonnie there though,”). I saw her twice very shortly. She was sitting next to the actor who played Walander’s side kick (with Kenneth Branagh). I don’t know his name.

And I also loved that Stephen Fry mentioned HP more than once. And his joke about the ‘three young actors’ who had been grateful for the chance they were given in this movie franchise and the opportunities it gave them for developing an acting career (or something like that). For those of you who haven’t seen it: then he said: “Maggie Smith, Michael Gambon and John Hurt…” etc. Haha, hilarious. I liked that “Tailor, Tinker, Soldier, Spy” won some awards as well, and that our favorite wandmaker ;o) was also celebrated.

Posted by Tarana on February 14, 2012, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Lm_lesmiserables_1__thumb

congratulations!!! I did love the effects…

BY ORDER OF THE HIGH INQUISITOR OF HOGWARTS[br]Teachers are hereby banned from giving students any information that is not strictly related to the subjects they are paid to teach.[br][i]The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-six.