J.K. Rowling's Next Novel Announced, Written for Adults

Books
Posted by: Melissa
February 23, 2012, 09:28 AM

UPDATE: jkrowling.com is being "refreshed and redesigned" and will be opened again later this spring. An e-mail list has been added to the Web site's interface for readers to subscribe to updates.

J.K. Rowling's agency, the Blair Partnership, announced this morning that the Harry Potter author will be releasing a new novel for adults.

The only other info on the page, besides a graphic, is a note from the author indicating that "While I have loved writing it just as much, my next book will be very different from the Harry Potter series."

A press release further notes:

"Although I’ve enjoyed writing it every bit as much, my next book will be very different to the Harry Potter series, which has been published so brilliantly by Bloomsbury and my other publishers around the world. The freedom to explore new territory is a gift that Harry’s success has brought me, and with that new territory it seemed a logical progression to have a new publisher. I am delighted to have a second publishing home in Little, Brown, and a publishing team that will be a great partner in this new phase of my writing life"

Details will be announced "later in the year." The as-yet unnamed book has been bought by Little, Brown and Company in the UK and US.

The book will be the first of J.K. Rowling's work to be available immediately in print and electronic versions. There was no auction for the rights to the book.

As always through all these years, stay very close to Leaky for news and developments on J.K. Rowling's writing: we will be covering it as closely as we do Harry Potter.

Oh, and: leave a comment if you just screamed, did a dance, jumped for joy, or anything else.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Books News

Finally, a new Rowling book to look forward to! It has been nearly five years! I wonder if it’ll be out in time for LeakyCon? Can’t wait!

Posted by phill nz fan on February 23, 2012, 12:51 PM report to moderator

Posted by phill nz fan on February 23, 2012, 12:51 PM report to moderator

I squeeeeeed and did my happy dance (jump up and down hands above my head then bring them down screaming YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS) in the middle of study hall whattever there all muggles anyways.

Posted by samisapotterfan on February 23, 2012, 12:54 PM report to moderator
2013-07-19_113504_thumb

A bright spot to my otherwise not so great day! Thanks for the update :-)

Posted by Want to be a Weasley on February 23, 2012, 12:55 PM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I so happy about this!!!! I wonder whether it will be as original as Harry Potter. Really feels like everythings moved on :( still can’t wait for the book to come out

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on February 23, 2012, 12:59 PM report to moderator

Best. Wake up news. Ever. screams and flails

Posted by tbearlupin on February 23, 2012, 01:19 PM report to moderator

Best. Wake up news. Ever. screams and flails

Posted by tbearlupin on February 23, 2012, 01:19 PM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

I have tears in my eyes, really, this makes me so extremely happy. We’ve been waiting so long for it, I can’t believe it, I just, oh my, this is amazing news…I want to hug you all! :D I’m sooooooooooooo happy!

Posted by lollifant on February 23, 2012, 01:22 PM report to moderator

It’s amazing news!! It just made me very sad to see the new jkrowling.com website thought – I do hope there’ll be a copy of the original website with all the HP stuff; don’t want to lose it!

Posted by Elwood_magic on February 23, 2012, 01:27 PM report to moderator

I’m not sure whether to throw up or cry I’m so excited!

Posted by JoRowlingRocks on February 23, 2012, 01:31 PM report to moderator
Th62a721c3_thumb

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This just made my day!

Posted by JennyLA on February 23, 2012, 01:44 PM report to moderator
P1010012_thumb

Very very very very very very pleased :) :) :) :) :) :) :) I miss her voice.

Posted by Gwynog'srabbit on February 23, 2012, 02:06 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

YAY! YAY! YAY! Might not be able to read it if it’s an adult book though…

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on February 23, 2012, 02:17 PM report to moderator
Hp-trio-dhx_thumb

OMGGGG,still screaming,this is super exciting!!! :D

Posted by xxIBelieveInNarglesxx on February 23, 2012, 02:18 PM report to moderator
Photo-69_thumb

I feel like I woke up on April 1st, but it isn’t April 1st. I’m still pinching myself. I thought she’d release books anonymously and I’d have to spend the rest of my life reading every book written post-Harry Potter. This is a relief and excruciatingly exciting.

Posted by RemusRox on February 23, 2012, 02:21 PM report to moderator

"You haven't got a letter on yours," George observed. "I suppose she thinks you don't forget your name. But we're not stupid -- we know we're called Gred and Forge."

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014