New Interview with Rupert Grint Details His Relationship with His Brother, and His Ice Cream Van

Grint
Posted by: Mel
March 04, 2012, 08:09 PM

In a new interview, Rupert Grint discusses his relationship with his younger brother James, who is a rally driver, and of course, his infamous ice cream van:

'I tend to avoid July and August, but the rest of the year I’ll drive around the local villages and if I see some kids looking like they’re in need of ice creams, I’ll pull over and dish them out for free. They’ll say, “Ain’t you Ron Weasley?” And I’ll say, “It’s strange, I get asked that a lot.”
‘The van often comes in useful. I drove it up to the set on the last day of filming on Harry Potter. The cast and crew were having a barbecue and I supplied the lollies and ice creams.
‘James and I grew up with a love for cars and a love for racing. We started with scooters, then moved on to go-karts and quad bikes. James will claim that he always won. I remember it differently.
‘He has a daredevil instinct that I lack. He will try pretty much anything, regardless of the physical risk. He would always be coming up with crazy stunts. One time, he built these long ramps and decided to jump over my grandad on a mountain bike. Thankfully, he made a clean jump. If he’d landed on Grandad, it wouldn’t have been a pretty sight.’
James Grint discusses his relationship with his brother and his love of rallying:

I’ve never looked at Rupert’s success and thought, “That could have been me.” I could never have been an actor. By the time Rupert’s career was taking off, I’d already made up my mind that I wanted to be a racing driver. If anything, Rupert’s success spurred me on to excel in my own field.
‘People would always be asking me what it was like to have a famous brother. I didn’t think of him as famous. And he never got too big for his boots. I’d have been the first to tell him if he did. At first everyone knew me as Rupert Grint’s brother. Then I had to carve out an identity for myself, which I did by being good at sports.

‘What I love about rallying is that it’s all- encompassing. You need to be a master of every surface – Tarmac, gravel, snow and ice. Rallying is regarded as the poor cousin to Formula 1 but I think there’s every chance that could change in the coming years. I’d like to be at the forefront of that.’

You can read more here.

Many thanks to Max for the tip!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Grint News

Picture_6_thumb

So cute! I love Rupert :)

Posted by Emily [ROAR] on March 04, 2012, 08:13 PM report to moderator
Andrew_s_pics-_ligniers__france_005_thumb

Ice cream van rally driving. Now, I’d like to see that. Go you good things!

Posted by cherriekin on March 04, 2012, 10:35 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Erm… @Mel, I really don’t think you meant ‘infamous’, which applies to famously evil things and people, as in ‘the infamous Lord Voldemort’. Rupert’s van sounds perfectly benign, like the man himself. At a pinch, I suppose it could be ‘notorious’ (in a joking way), but I would hazard a guess that Rupert’s van is in fact just ‘famous’ or ‘well-known’.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on March 05, 2012, 01:44 AM report to moderator

I love how Rupert’s ice cream truck is still news especially since he got it a few years ago. xD

Posted by . on March 05, 2012, 01:50 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

You dont normally read interviews from the actors brothers, hats treat in itself. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on March 05, 2012, 02:29 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Definitely not infamous!
I love the way that Rupert decided to buy an ice cream van, and that he’s still got it and has a lot of fun driving it around. I would hazard a guess that he is highly unlikely to ever let fame go to his head, he has a very individual approach to life and isn’t at all vain. I’m glad he has a great relationship with his brother, and very pleased that his brother is pursuing a career in rally driving and making a name for himself.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on March 05, 2012, 06:15 AM report to moderator
Beauty-and-the-beast-gaston-fabulous-funny-lol-disney_thumb
2074 Points

@Kyrtalkris
I know! Dear Rupert,
Only three words are used on how I feel about you….
I love you :)

Posted by MissWeasley8 (The Wendybird)°O° on March 05, 2012, 07:22 AM report to moderator
Emma_watson_drawing_thumb

I love how Rupert randomly owns an ice-cream van! XD Just goes to show that even though he’s famous, he’s still human just like the rest of us (can’t say the same for some celebrities who let fame get to their head). I’d love to meet Rupert Grint!

Posted by Grindylow_101 on March 05, 2012, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

‘Ron Weasley and His Ice-cream Truck’!! Haha,awesome! ;D

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on March 05, 2012, 11:05 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

Aw Rupert is such a funny guy

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on March 05, 2012, 07:35 PM report to moderator

I like Rupert but people really should stop asking him about the ice cream van, it’s getting old.

Posted by atc on March 05, 2012, 10:23 PM report to moderator
From_start_to_finish_by_tian_cai-d33cmh1_thumb

i would love some ice cream from rupert! :D. he’s still human and he cares about others which is amazing <3

Posted by handhrfan18 on March 06, 2012, 08:27 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I’ll have a Chocolate Bonnet pleeze!

Posted by Won_Two on March 10, 2012, 10:49 AM report to moderator

"I was afraid of death," said Nick. "I chose to remain behind. I sometimes wonder whether I oughtn't to have... Well, that is neither here nor there... In fact, [i]I[/i] am neither here nor there..." He gave a small sad chuckle. "I know nothing of the sec

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014