J.K. Rowling's New Book "The Casual Vacancy" Out 27th September 2012

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Rosi
April 12, 2012, 09:08 AM

Hold on to your hats, people: the publisher Little, Brown has just put out a press release giving us the title of JK Rowling’s new book… The Casual Vacancy! The book will be out on the 27th September 2012 (worldwide release date) and Little, Brown also provided a plot summary:

When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

Eeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Things to countdown to again! Let us know your initial thoughts in comments.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

100gundlach_s_hawk_thumb

Roonwit, you are probably correct.

Joelface, I think the fine point being made is more this new book is definitely not for children, more than Harry not being for adults.

Posted by Lady Hawke on April 12, 2012, 11:31 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

Lady Hawke & Joelface: Strictly speaking Harry Potter wasn’t written for children either, it was just a story Jo wanted to tell that seemed to fit best into the children’s book category.

Posted by roonwit on April 12, 2012, 11:57 AM report to moderator
Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Sounds cool! :D

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on April 12, 2012, 12:07 PM report to moderator

I automatically assume everything she will write will be very, very good – I hope there are a few hidden Harry references that we may be able to root out!

Posted by Seacoastmuggle on April 12, 2012, 12:10 PM report to moderator

waiting for this book :)
\m/

this is the 1st Facebook Page of this book “The Casual Vacancy ~ J.K. Rowling”

Like it \m/

Posted by hardik harshwardhan on April 12, 2012, 12:28 PM report to moderator

Amazon has it up for preorder already for $21.00 :) Got mine on order! Can’t wait to read it.

Posted by Civic Minded on April 12, 2012, 01:03 PM report to moderator

I live in a little Welsh village a bit like that, especially with the local election coming up next month :-)

Posted by Rowena Acromantula on April 12, 2012, 02:10 PM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

Cannot wait! Just an extra piece of information; as others may have worked out, Barry means spear. Any clue to how he was murdered?

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on April 12, 2012, 02:14 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

For sure a ‘must read’ on my list!

Posted by Won_Two on April 12, 2012, 02:21 PM report to moderator
Agron_thumb

This is not something I would normally read, unless you count the Pretty Little Liars series, but that’s for teens like myself. But in this case I will go out and buy and read it even if it is an adult book, because I’m sure it will be a spectacular story due to the fact Jo has written it. I’m excited for it to come out so I can finally read some more of Jo’s work.

Posted by vincenza on April 12, 2012, 02:22 PM report to moderator
Indestructible2_thumb

Sound SO NOT HP!!!! DISTURBINGLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Posted by GryffindorChick on April 12, 2012, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Snowman_thumb

Blackly comic? Sound like my kind of book.

Posted by LunaBear on April 12, 2012, 02:34 PM report to moderator

OMG!!!! Although nothing will EVER beat HP, but congrats J.K.!!!!
I’m sure it will be interesting!

Posted by katelyner123 on April 12, 2012, 04:04 PM report to moderator

Sooo cool! Not sure if I’m going to get my hands on it, but if I do I know I’d love it! Even though it wont be as awesome as HP, (NOTHING WILL!!!!) it still sounds cool :)

Posted by katelyner123 on April 12, 2012, 04:18 PM report to moderator
Timeturner2_thumb

not what i would read either. :-/
look forward to having a look though and see more of her work.
Harry Potter rules!!! and nothing can beat it. :-)

Posted by mariakingsford on April 12, 2012, 04:21 PM report to moderator

[Cho] smiled at him and departed. He walked on, feeling quietly elated. He had managed to have an entire conversation with her and not embarrassed himself once... [i]You were really brave standing up to her like that...[/i] She had called him brave... She

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014