J. K. Rowling Mentions the Harry Potter Encyclopedia on Her New Website

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
April 16, 2012, 07:02 PM

On J. K. Rowling's new website, Ms. Rowling confirms that the Harry Potter Encyclopedia is still in the works on the FAQ section of the site:

For a long time I have been promising an encyclopaedia of Harry’s world, and I have started work on this now – some of it forms the new content in Pottermore. It is likely to be a time-consuming job, but when finished I shall donate all royalties to charity.

Many thanks to Catherine and Max for owling!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Raven_avatar_thumb

This is old news… GOOD news… but old!

Posted by Won_Two on April 17, 2012, 11:32 AM report to moderator
Blue_phoenix_avatar_by_rhahsid_thumb

I am so happy to hear she is still writing it! I thought Pottermore was going to be a sort of replacement for “the Scottish book.” I am definitely willing to wait for this one…wouldn’t want to rush a complete encyclopedia :) I wonder how many volumes, because she could probably say more about the books than she actually wrote in them, lol.

Posted by NightPhoenix35 on April 17, 2012, 11:53 AM report to moderator
Thank_you_thumb

I was so glad to see this on her website about a week ago because I thought that everything was going into Pottermore. I’m not really as bothered about how long it takes now (though I would love it to be soon) because I think we’ve had quite a lot of new Potter things to be getting along with and we’ve got The Casual Vacancy to look forward to at any rate. I’m glad that she is hopefully going to publish the encyclopedia though!

Posted by Livi22-((ROAR!)) on April 17, 2012, 11:55 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

Yay!
o(^o)
(o^_^o)
(o
^)o (Does little dance!)

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on April 17, 2012, 04:49 PM report to moderator
Ravenpuff_thumb

I just cant wait :) I am relatively new to the fandom, so when I became a part of it, I was thrilled to hear of this wonderful idea of an encyclopedia. I read this, and sent it to Leaky, with excitement, but I can understand you guys that have been waiting way longer for this than I, and their frustrations.

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on April 17, 2012, 05:10 PM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

I would love to read the encyclopedia as much as everybody, but I can understand that Jo wants to take her time to write it. To her, it must often seem like she is rehashing old stuff, and I guess she has a large box (or maybe several) with notes. I saw something like that in a documentary once. I can understand that she wants to create new stories and new characters, and this is just something extra she does to please the fans.
And I love her for it !
So, take your time, Jo, but please keep working on it, beside all the other stories you want to tell.

Posted by Tarana on April 17, 2012, 05:31 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Can’t help wondering if she’s using the Lexicon as a cheat sheet. But I suppose that would constitute invoking the bad luck associated with literary things Scottish!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 17, 2012, 05:53 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator}: She won’t use the Lexicon, not just because there might be legal issues with doing so, but mostly because the Encyclopaedia will mostly contain new information that hasn’t been revealed before, and so won’t be in the Lexicon.

Posted by roonwit on April 17, 2012, 06:19 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

She’s finally working on it? Fantastic. By the way, it’s so JK Rowling to make it a charity work, brilliant woman.

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on April 17, 2012, 06:39 PM report to moderator
Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

woot woot!!!!! I so CANT wait! :) at least we have another novel until then!!

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on April 17, 2012, 08:59 PM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

I can’t wait to see her novel!

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on April 18, 2012, 04:34 AM report to moderator

SOOOO COOOOOLLL!!!! OHHH MYY!! .. I love you, Jo.

Thank. You. So. Much.

Posted by Magical Arts on April 18, 2012, 09:47 AM report to moderator
Timeturner2_thumb

whoo hoo, thats great news, i sooo can’t wait. :-D

Posted by mariakingsford on April 18, 2012, 11:29 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

@roonwit, if it’s an encyclopedia, isn’t the assumption that it will be encyclopedic? Meaning including all the pertinent info, whether it’s already generally known or not? Despite her legal wranglings with the guy who compiled the Lexicon, it’s undeniable that it’s a valuable resource. (I consult it frequently to jog my memory about minor characters and so on.) I don’t mean to suggest that JKR would just cut and paste, but she could easily use it as a handy reference to save time, and not have the results be in any way obvious enough to warrant a lawsuit.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on April 18, 2012, 12:04 PM report to moderator
Ravenpuff_thumb

Yeah, I could see her using the lexicon, she mentioned once in an interview that she rarely re-reads her own work, so many fans know the actual canon better than she does. I think the lexicon would be useful for background.

Posted by Ravenpuffmax on April 21, 2012, 02:51 PM report to moderator

"Look at this!" said Malfoy in ecstasy, holding up Ron's robes and showing Crabbe and Goyle, "Weasley, you weren't thinking of [i]wearing[/i] these, were you? I mean -- they were very fashionable in about eighteen ninety...."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014