Cover Art of "The Casual Vacancy" Revealed

News
Posted by: Catherine
July 04, 2012, 09:30 AM

Update: New image from Amazon that shows the physical book below.

Little, Brown Book Group has released the cover art for J.K. Rowling's adult novel, The Casual Vacancy. You can view the cover art below or here. The company also provided more detail of the "audio reader and confirmed page extent":

Cover design by Mario J. Pulice
Illustration and hand lettering by Joel Holland

Published worldwide in the English language on 27th September 2012 in hardback (£20.00), ebook (£11.99), unabridged audio download (£20.00) and on CD (£30.00).

ISBN 9781408704202     (hardback) price £20.00
ISBN 9781405519229     (ebook) price £11.99
ISBN 9781405519212     (audio download) £20.00
ISBN 9781405519205     (CD) price £30.00

The audio edition of The Casual Vacancy will be read by Tom Hollander, an experienced star of stage and screen.

Notes to Editors

Barry Fairbrother’s surname was incorrectly given as Fairweather in our original press release.  This was Little, Brown’s error and we are correcting it now.

Stay tuned to Leaky for upcoming news!

New image from Amazon that shows the physical book:

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Beckett_thumb

dont really like the harshness of the cover but i saw another angle of the book on hypable and it looked a lot better so hopefully it will look good on the shelf!

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on July 03, 2012, 08:35 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Looks good!

Posted by Mad But Happy on July 04, 2012, 08:40 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

No problems spotting that book on the subway!

Posted by Won_Two on July 04, 2012, 11:52 AM report to moderator
Believe_in_yourself_thumb

The style reminds me a bit of those (mock)covers of books from or about the 50’s. Not unlike the Christie’s among others (like Sirius_Craic said).
And the square reminds me of a ballot form, which is quite likely, of course, as an election plays an important part in the book, apparently.

Posted by Tarana on July 04, 2012, 07:12 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

GO JO GO! GO JO GO! I don’t care about the last name, I think it’s cool and I haven’t seen it anywhere else. It’s not the best cover but eh I don’t care, it’s written by Jo so it’s bound to be good. Can’t wait until it comes out.

Posted by Acciobrooms on July 04, 2012, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Picasion

Ooh, can’t wait for Jo’s newest masterpiece! :D

Posted by Weasleyisourking99 on July 04, 2012, 10:12 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Fairbrother is not an odd name, it is an old name as it has Anglo Saxon origins.

The book will certainly be noticeable in the shops and I guess that’s a good ploy as it is Jo’s first work for adults, the publishers obviously intend for it to be a book you can’t miss!

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on July 05, 2012, 02:37 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

I’m quite curious about this new book and hope it does well for her. I enjoy JK’s style.

Posted by Xyra44 on July 06, 2012, 02:13 PM report to moderator
Countyfair_thumb

This is such a striking cover! I love it. I’m really excited to read it, and I hope that readers don’t compare it to Harry Potter.

Posted by robopkins on July 11, 2012, 10:40 PM report to moderator

I’m so happy she continued to write after HP. I love her style of writing.

Posted by hogwarts-is-my-home on July 12, 2012, 11:11 AM report to moderator

Fred swept the hat onto his head, beaming. For a second he merely looked rather stupid, then both hat and head vanished.[br]Several girls screamed, but everyone else roared with laughter.