The Casual Vacancy

News
Posted by: Catherine
September 27, 2012, 06:23 AM

It is September 27, 2012 and JK Rowling's first post-Potter, adult novel is finally here! If you have received your copy of the book, started to read, and would like to tell us how you like it please leave your reactions in the comments below. SPOILER ALERT to all other users!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Wall_thumb

I’m not sure how I like it. It’s interesting that both Harry Potter and The Casual Vacancy start with deaths.

Posted by Loader Lady on September 27, 2012, 06:44 AM report to moderator
Beckett_thumb

I have read the first 2 chapters and i must say i absolutely love it so far. the focus on death is just amazing! buy it now if you havent already!

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on September 27, 2012, 08:25 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

I can’t buy it when it’s 17.99 for an ebook that costs pennies to make. It’s just wrong.

Posted by Nevilla on September 27, 2012, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

Posted by Nevilla on September 27, 2012, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

Posted by Nevilla on September 27, 2012, 08:32 AM report to moderator
Neville-poster_thumb

Sorry for the extra posts. Computer glitch.

Posted by Nevilla on September 27, 2012, 08:33 AM report to moderator

Do you think it is appropriate to give this as a gift to a 16-year-old-boy? My cousin’s birthday is nest week, so i was wondering whether I should buy it or not.

Posted by Edward Weasley on September 27, 2012, 02:39 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

I’ve read several reviews including some good ones, and watched the interview on the Culture show, all very interesting, but the more I hear about it the more I feel this isn’t the kind of book I fancy reading, it’s not the kind of thing I’d normally wish to read and I think I’ll give it a miss, If I do decide to read it at some point I’ll borrow it from the library rather than buy it.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on September 27, 2012, 03:07 PM report to moderator

I’ve read the summery and skimmed a few pages of it at the store and it just doesn’t seem like my kind of book. I think the real problem is that most people are running out to buy it merely because of the author with visions of Harry Potter in their head. It’s an adult book with adult language and adult situations. Not for children as she keeps stressing. It’s an 180 degree turn from Harry Potter.

Kudos to Jo for trying something different. I’m just not going to rush out to buy it because it’s really not the type of story I like to read. I’ve always wondered why she didn’t write this under a pen name to help separate it from the HP series.

Posted by Ratorr on September 27, 2012, 05:51 PM report to moderator
27577_1__thumb

OMG SO EXCITED, ON THE WAY TO THE BOOK STORE!!!
Will post a reaction as soon as I’ve read it!!! I hope there’s a pottercast comming out soon <3, <3, <3

Posted by Rowling Stones on September 27, 2012, 09:37 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

There is no doubt that Jo wrote this… It is like she is in the room as I read it. NOT for the kids, thats for sure!

Posted by Won_Two on September 29, 2012, 12:47 PM report to moderator

it is a harsh book, full of unpleasant people, written in a confusing way. because you constant have to shift from one person to the next and learn and remember te connextion they have to each other.
through the lack of goodies, you neither get interested why the baddies are behaving this way. the whole mystery why a figure like Snape is such a nasty person you won’t find in this book. Only the figures of schoolage get a shred of synpathy, but only because they are just a grade less repulsive then heir parents. It is not a pleasant book, and I cannot image this will ever be a source for fanfiction. the largest HP chapter ( Oof tP) took me one long night to finish it, this took me three days with bouts of lost interest.

Posted by kamion999 on September 30, 2012, 11:09 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I just finished the book, and I quite enjoyed it. I thought it was well written, and I was very interested in the characters/plot. I’m not going to bother comparing it to HP, because she would be hard-pressed to ever top that. lol It touches on many dark aspects of human culture, so it’s certainly not for children. The ending isn’t horribly cheerful, either. I would give it 4/5 stars. Give it a try!

Posted by Mad But Happy on October 01, 2012, 12:04 PM report to moderator

I finished reading yesterday. The beginning was difficult to read. But once you know all the persons it is nearly as hard to put down as HP. I am definetly going to read it again.

Posted by LaurelUnicorn on October 09, 2012, 01:06 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

"Look at today!" groaned Ron. "History of Magic, double Potions, Divination, and double Defense Against the Dark Arts... Binns, Snape, Trelawney, and that Umbridge woman all in one day! I wish Fred and George'd hurry up and get those Skiving Snackboxes so