Maggie Smith Talks about Potter and Her Career in a New Interview

News
Posted by: Catherine
September 07, 2012, 08:27 PM

Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall) recently sat down for an extensive interview with The Star about her 60 years in show business. In the interview she talked about her time spent with the Harry Potter movies, although her main focus was on her largly successful role in Julian Fellowes' Downton Abbey. The Star reports:

She also trails unassumingly behind her a train made up of 60 years in show business that has won her seven BAFTA awards, two Oscars, two Golden Globes, two Emmys, two SAG awards, an Olivier Award and a Tony.
The 77-year-old woman who’s survived everything from quidditch (thanks to her role as Professor Minerva McGonagall in Harry Potter) to chemotherapy (a harrowing battle with cancer) has a wonderful serenity about her except, on this particular afternoon in London, when she worries about the scope of the upcoming Stratford gala.

...

And then she starts the wheels of comic invention turning again.

“There are advantages to cancer, you know. My chemo cheered up the makeup department on Harry Potter because the wig went on a great deal easier without a single hair on my head.”

...

“I knew it was going to be a major commitment when I started, but it turned out to be 10 years. That’s a lot of time with one character!”

You can read more of this enjoyable interview here.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Fascinating interview of one of our national acting treasures.

Posted by Graymayne on September 08, 2012, 02:27 AM report to moderator
My_hero_neville_thumb

I LOVE watching Maggie Smith do her stuff! She is one of the VERY BEST actors on the planet! She is the real star in “Downton Abbey”!

Posted by KB Prez [ROAR!] on September 08, 2012, 08:35 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

She is positively one great lady!

Posted by Won_Two on September 08, 2012, 09:15 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

She is wonderful, I never tire of seeing her.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on September 08, 2012, 09:52 AM report to moderator
Phpyyqy43_c2am_thumb

What an amazing and wonderful woman! God bless her!

Posted by weasleywannabe1997 on September 08, 2012, 10:17 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

If I could rewind my life back to the ‘70s, one of the things I’d do differently is to make sure to get up to Toronto to see her perform Shakespeare at the Stratford Festival!

Mental note to self: Rent ‘Jean Brodie’ and watch it again. And to all who haven’t seen her in ‘The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel’ yet, catch it while it’s still in some theatres!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 08, 2012, 02:31 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Oh, and could anyone tell that she was going through chemo while she was playing McGonagall? I had no clue. She is truly an ironclad dreadnaught!

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 08, 2012, 02:33 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Bless her.

Posted by Matea on September 08, 2012, 05:35 PM report to moderator
Keeper_thumb

Loved her in Murder by Death with Peter Sellers and David Niven.

Posted by AvanelleWood on September 10, 2012, 06:10 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

I have always enjoyed Maggie Smith – she is a fabulous actress; she never fails in her characters. I got to know her in the Agatha Christie movies (Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun), laughed at her in Murder By Death, cowered at her in Clash of the Titans, was surprised by her in Sister Act, and was completely excited when I heard she was Professor McGonagall! She was perfect and still is.

Posted by Xyra44 on September 14, 2012, 10:56 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"Hermione was now teaching Krum to say her name properly; he kept calling her "Hermy-own."[br]"Her-my-oh-nee," she said slowly and clearly.[br]"Herm-own-ninny."[br]"Close enough," she said, catching Harry's eye and grinning.