Scholastic Unveils First of Seven New Harry Potter Covers

Cover Art
Posted by: Melissa
February 13, 2013, 09:22 AM

Scholastic revealed today the first of seven new covers for the Harry Potter novels, marking the first time their versions have not featured artwork by series originator Mary GrandPre. The new artist is best selling graphic novelist Kazu Kibuishi (see HI-RES here):

According to the release, each new cover will depict a distinctive and memorable moment from the respective book.  The collection will be released in September as a box set.

“The Harry Potter covers by Mary GrandPré are so fantastic and iconic,” said Kibuishi.  “When I was asked to submit samples, I initially hesitated because I didn't want to see them reinterpreted!  However, I felt that if I were to handle the project, I could bring something to it that many other designers and illustrators probably couldn't, and that was that I was also a writer of my own series of middle grade fiction. As an author myself, I tried to answer the question, ‘If I were the author of the books - and they were like my own children - how would I want them to be seen years from now?' When illustrating the covers, I tried to think of classic perennial paperback editions of famous novels and how those illustrations tend to feel.  In a way, the project became a tribute to both Harry Potter and the literary classics.”

Kiubuishi is an Eisner-nominated artist best known for his ongoing Amulet series of graphic novels and comic collection Copper, both published by Scholastic. He founded and edits the Flight Anthologies, and created Daiy Kutter: The Last Train, a YALSA Best Book for Young Adults. He lives in California. (Website / Twitter.)

The Mary Grandpre artwork will continue to feature on US hardcover and digest paperback editions.

What do you think? Is the 15 year anniversary time for a change? Do you want to own these versions?

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Cover Art News

38169_676962834274_38307955_37739912_3182281_n_thumb

Love the artwork! Not sure how I feel about it replacing Mary Grandpre’s original though. The SS cover is just so iconic. Kind of sad to me that my kids won’t picture THAT book when they think of Potter.

Posted by jfrancis04 on February 13, 2013, 09:40 AM report to moderator
38169_676962834274_38307955_37739912_3182281_n_thumb

Edit: And of course I just need to keep reading :-) Happy to see that Grandpre’s originals will remain.

Posted by jfrancis04 on February 13, 2013, 09:42 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Not too such how I feel about this either. The new artwork looks very nice, but the original is what we all know, love and grew up with. It’ll alwasy hold a place in my heart. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on February 13, 2013, 01:29 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

That should be sure :P

Posted by LunaLuver on February 13, 2013, 01:30 PM report to moderator
Royaltyofnarniaavie3_thumb

I love it, I really like Hagrid. But just as LunaLuver, the original ones will always be the best :)

Posted by lollifant on February 13, 2013, 04:14 PM report to moderator

I was never an fan of Mary Grande Pre’s work and I really prefer the original British children versions better but I like this scholastic one a lot! It just seems more magical. It also reminds me of the Charlie Bone covers from scholastic.

Posted by EmmaBean7 on February 13, 2013, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

That’s beautiful, in my opinion. Kudos!

Posted by Mad But Happy on February 13, 2013, 09:57 PM report to moderator
423928_2979823569581_1081661667_32966780_333709726_n_thumb

I have to say, it’s just SO beautiful!!! :D

Posted by Gene *ROAR* on February 13, 2013, 11:40 PM report to moderator

The artwork looks amazing but the original one i have is the best to me but i really would like to own these versions

Posted by MuggleRaven on February 13, 2013, 11:45 PM report to moderator

I just loved this new PS/SS cover, it’s so magical! New covers for new covers, this new set actually looks very beautiful (yes, I’m looking at you Signature Editions awful covers).

Posted by NatanBaessi on February 14, 2013, 08:45 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

It’s very good, except for the one wizard (goblin) on the left who looks like he has Yoda’s ears). But I’m not sure I see the point in redoing the covers, except for Scolastic to make more money. I have all seven in hardback and paper back and all seven audio books with the British covers (Stephen Fry reading). I will resist the urge to buy the new ones just because the art work has changed. I do like Mary Grand Pre’s covers and for me, they will always be the ones I think of when I think of Harry Potter.

Posted by Eeyore on February 17, 2013, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

LIKE IT! Wondering, will there be new chapter art as well?

Posted by Won_Two on February 17, 2013, 03:15 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Personally, although I really love Mary GrandPre’s thumbnail sketches for the chapter headings, I was never all that crazy about her cover paintings. This sample looks pretty sweet to me. The downside would be that it seems to incorporate part of what we visualize from having seen the movie sets, whereas the original art was more purely out of the artist’s imagination, if you know what I mean.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on February 18, 2013, 03:21 PM report to moderator

I never like the art that nails the face of the protagonist to the cover, that’s for the reader to paint in his or her mind. Pottermore is in this ways ahead of this cover, Pottermore gives you information to sharpen you image of the story but never overwrites your own mental image.

Posted by kamion999 on February 20, 2013, 10:24 AM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

Even though I am in the USA I found Enid Blyton’s Mallory Towers series on a trip to England. When I look at how her covers have changed from when I first started collecting the books to now…so very sad…no where near the original look or feel.
These new Harry Potter covers keep the original feel even with changes,

Posted by Xyra44 on February 24, 2013, 04:47 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014

A breeze ruffled the neat hedges of Privet Drive, which lay silent and tidy under the inky sky, the very last place you would expect astonishing things to happen.