Daniel Radcliffe on Franchises

News
Posted by: Catherine
June 01, 2013, 06:45 PM

This week Daniel Radcliffe has released two statements concerning franchises. According to Hypable, Radcliffe refused to film additional Harry Potter scenes for the expansion of the Wizarding World. He has worked hard to break out of the franchise, and he does not want to remain type-cast in his role as Harry Potter. Also recently, Radcliffe talked about being interested in the Star Wars franchise--in a good supporting role however, definitely not a lead.

Radcliffe on Wizarding World scenes (Hypable):

In new comments to TimeOut London over the weekend, Radcliffe reveals that he didn’t film scenes for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion in Orlando because he’s “done so much work to establish [himself] as something outside that series.”

“…The theme parks are expanding and there was an enquiry whether I’d do more filming from them and I was like: No, I can’t get away with that any more, I’d just look foolish. I’d never totally close the door [to returning to Potter] for the reason that Jo’s a great writer. But no more school boy stuff.”

He added, “I’m 23, which is too old to be running round in a school boy’s cape.”

In a separate report earlier today, we told you that Radcliffe says he’d play James Potter in aHarry Potter remake.

Radcliffe on Star Wars (Geeks of Doom):

Recently, both Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe and Lord of the Rings andFringe star John Noble have been asked about whether or not they would want to appear in Star Wars, and you can read their answers below.

Radcliffe, who’s just a couple of years out of his first massive franchise (in which he was the primary face), said this to Time Out London about the idea:
“‘Franchise’ mustn’t become a dirty word. If directors like J.J. Abrams and Joss Whedon keep doing what they’re doing, it won’t be. I’d love to be part of one again. Maybe not leading it: a nice supporting role. In Star Wars? Yeah, that’d be awesome. That’d be crazy cool.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

He has a point about filming extra scenes as a Hogwarts age Harry. That just wouldn’t look quite right. There was a Saturday Night Live skit about that kind of thing where everyone else moved on and he was still carrying his wand and asking about Quidditch practice. (I didn’t find it funny.)
I love the idea of him playing James if there should be a remake.
Also love the idea of him being in a new Star Wars movie.
Just a quick note to Daniel…you will always be Harry Potter in the hearts of your fans. But true fans will love all your work.

Posted by Xyra44 on June 02, 2013, 09:39 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I would love to see Dan in a Star Wars film, even if it was just in the background or something XD He is not required to be in HP films the rest of his life, and I can’t really blame him. Really, it’s a miracle they kept most of the same actors for all the existing movies. They can make great rides with him or not.

Posted by Mad But Happy on June 03, 2013, 02:18 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

He is getting a bit old to play a schoolboy…

Posted by Won_Two on June 05, 2013, 04:49 AM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

I disagree somewhat. I think that the time window is fast closing in which Dan can pass as a Hogwarts-age Harry, but with the aid of some professional makeup artists I think that it could still be done, even without CGI. I can understand Dan being sick of being at WB’s beck and call, but as long as they are willing to schedule around his other commitments, I think that he ought to do a little more footage as Harry for the new rides and such. Once the ability for him to portray young Harry gone, it’s really gone, and getting another actor to stand in would be just too awful.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on June 07, 2013, 04:09 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Whether he’s too old or not, I can understand his reluctance, he’s working very hard to show his versatility and prove that he’s capable of moving away from portraying Harry, I think he’s perfectly justified in avoiding going back to that role.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on June 07, 2013, 09:04 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

He’s done enough acting on stage and other films not to be type-casted but on the other hand I can u/s him being tired of having to be at WB’s beck and call. As much as I’d like to see more of him, I’d rather see him happy. So, Dan, I hope you will do what you feel comfortable with.

Posted by molly43 on June 19, 2013, 03:54 PM report to moderator
17879-26957_thumb

I think Dan would be great in a Star Wars movie . But in terms of his writing dark comedy it’s a little confusing to me bc if it’s dark then how is it funny? sorta like “you’re going to suffer but you’re going to be happy about it.”

Posted by molly43 on June 19, 2013, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Dark comedy, a.k.a. black comedy is certainly a well known and often very funny genre, it might be interesting to see what Dan would come up with.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on June 29, 2013, 08:49 PM report to moderator

Fleur bent down, kissed Harry twice on each cheek (he felt his face burn and wouldn't have been surprised if steam was coming out of his ears again), then said to Ron, "And you too -- you 'elped --"[br]"Yeah," said Ron, looking extremely hopeful, "yeah, a