Rare "Philosopher's Stone" on Display

News
Posted by: Catherine
June 01, 2013, 04:09 AM

As you may recall, a special J.K.Rowling-annotated copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was auctioned off for charity. For those of us longing to see it, the book will be on display. It has become apart of the Bodleian's Exhibition--Magic Books: from the Middle Ages to Middle-Earth. It will be on display as apart of this exhibition at the Oxford library, until June 10. ITV reports:

A rare first edition of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the latest addition to the Bodleian’s exhibition - Magical books: from the Middle Ages to Middle-earth.

The book is on display in the Oxford library's exhibition room until June 10th.

The volume includes annotations and drawings by author J.K. Rowling and was sold in auction at Sotheby’s for the record price of £150,000 last Tuesday.

Rowling's personal annotations cover 43 pages and include references to the Harry Potter and also the film adaptations.

The book complements a line-up of authors of children’s fantasy literature, featured in theexhibition, including C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien and Philip Pullman.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Hogshead_thumb

If any of you Leaky Englanders do attend this exquisite exhibition at the Bodleian Library in Oxford, please give the rest of us a detailed review. I would love to see JKR’s first edition alongside Tolkien and Lewis, and especially to see it in the library that was the Restricted Section of the Hogwarts Library in Philosopher’s Stone. Talk about MAGIC!!!

Posted by PollyC on June 01, 2013, 05:50 AM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

The Bodleian’s own page doesn’t mention J K Rowling. http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/bodley/news/magical-books-from-the-middle-ages-to-middle-earth
I wonder whether this means that it was the Bodleian that bought it at auction recently? I do hope so.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on June 01, 2013, 06:19 AM report to moderator
Hogshead_thumb

You’re right, V-J, it does not mention her book on the Bodleian site. It does mention that scenes from Harry Potter films were made there. I would be very interested to see Tolkien’s previously unpublished manuscript of a poem called, “The Fall of Arthur,” and maybe take a peek at John Dee’s “Holy Table.” The scalawag.

Posted by PollyC on June 01, 2013, 09:34 AM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Oooh, that doesn’t give us long to go and have a look at it, which I’d really love to do. It sounds like a fascinating exhibition and I’ve never been to the Bodleian and I would really like to go there for that as well.

Hmm, next weekend will probably be the only possible time and I’m at work on Saturday.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on June 01, 2013, 10:34 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

I can’t believe how much even a ‘regular’ first edition of P. S. goes for these days…

Posted by Won_Two on June 05, 2013, 04:40 AM report to moderator

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," he said. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want Harry dead..." An odd shiver passed over his face. "But I won't deny that I am a w