Rowling wins damages against Russells, Money to go to Charity

News
Posted by: Catherine
August 02, 2013, 11:04 AM

Miss Rowling brought charges against Chris Gossage (a Russells partner) and his friend, Judith Callegari, in London's High Court. The charges were of damages from the leak of confidential information concerning Miss Rowling's pseudonym, Robert Galbraith. "Ms Rowling, who was not in court, 'has been left dismayed and distressed by such a fundamental betrayal of trust' ".The firm will reimburse Rowling's legal charges, and make a payment in the form of a donation to the Soldier's Charity. Rowling's royalties from The Cuckoo's Calling will also be donated to the Soldier's Charity. Skynews reports:

Ms Rowling's solicitor, Jenny Afia, told Mr Justice Tugendhat that the author was revealed in the Sunday Times as the writer of crime novel The Cuckoo's Calling.

Ms Afia said that Ms Rowling, who was not in court, "has been left dismayed and distressed by such a fundamental betrayal of trust".

Mr Gossage, Ms Callegari and Russells all apologised, with the firm agreeing to reimburse Ms Rowling's legal costs and make a payment by way of damages to the Soldiers' Charity, formerly the Army Benevolent Fund.

A statement issued on the author's behalf said that all global net royalties which would otherwise have been paid to her from book sales of The Cuckoo's Calling would be donated to The Soldiers' Charity for a period of three years, dating from July 14 - the day that Galbraith's identity was made known.

She said: "This donation is being made to The Soldiers' Charity partly as a thank you to the Army people who helped me with research, but also because writing a hero who is a veteran has given me an even greater appreciation and understanding of exactly how much this charity does for ex-servicemen and their families, and how much that support is needed.

"I always intended to give The Soldiers' Charity a donation out of Robert's royalties but I had not anticipated him making the bestseller list a mere three months after publication - indeed, I had not counted on him ever being there."

Major General Martin Rutledge, chief executive of the charity, said: "We are absolutely thrilled by the extraordinary generosity of JK Rowling who is such an internationally renowned author.

"This donation will make a huge difference to the lives of thousands of soldiers, former soldiers and their families who are in real need.

"Her tremendous show of support for The Soldiers' Charity will help to remind people of the many sacrifices made by our soldiers, long after any news of Afghanistan has left the front page."

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

17879-26957_thumb

JKR you are truly one of the greatest kindhearted people I know. People like you who give so often in charity and Oprah Winfrey who opened a school for girls in Africa because girls aren’t allowed to go to school- make the world worth living in. Especially at a time when some with wealth are so busy trying to make laws to make the poor, even poorer. Thanks JKR for helping so many in need.

Posted by molly43 on August 02, 2013, 03:22 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Good for you Jo… I am gratified to see the money going to very good use…

Posted by Won_Two on August 03, 2013, 02:12 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

The one good thing to come from the leak, of her being the author, is that more money will be given to the charity than if it had been kept secret like she wanted. So in a way, this is actually a good thing. More people buying the books then ever would have before, equals more money to a worthy cause.

Posted by LunaLuver on August 04, 2013, 03:20 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I wonder who leaked her… he or she probably does not have a job right now. It’s good so much money is going to charity, though. :)

Posted by Mad But Happy on August 04, 2013, 09:14 AM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

I often look for books that just look interesting but I hadn’t seen The Cuckoo’s Calling in my local book store. So I’m rather glad that her identity was leaked. I bought the eBook right away and then bought a print copy later when I saw it on the shelf. I loved the characters and the story and look forward to more from Galbraith. And it makes it even better to know that the proceeds are helping veterans and their families. Good for you, Jo!

Posted by Eeyore on August 10, 2013, 10:25 PM report to moderator

I think the first edition ( the secret edition) wil become a collectors item) I just bought is this weekend en there is already a text on the back that it’s written by JKR.
Can recommend it, it’s reads so much nicer than A Casual Vacancy. at last some characters again one can rely too, those lacked completely in het previous book.

Posted by kamion999 on August 12, 2013, 05:18 PM report to moderator
Eeyorescrollsparky_thumb

In the eBook, I have the blurb about Galbraith and in my print copy I have the updated version that it’s JKR. So, I’m glad I have both.

Posted by Eeyore on August 15, 2013, 08:26 PM report to moderator

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger --"