J.K. Rowling to pen screenplay for Movie Spin off on "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

News
Posted by: Catherine
September 12, 2013, 02:23 PM

Warner Brothers has announced that a movie series based off of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. J.K. Rowling will be writing the screenplay for this extension of the wizarding franchise, making this her screenwriting debut. The focus of the film series will be Newt Scamander, "author" of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. According to J.K. Rowling, these films will take place 70 years before the first Harry Potter novel. Hypable reports J.K. Rowling's full statement:

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.” --J.K. Rowling

Warner Brothers stated: “We are incredibly honored that Jo has chosen to partner with Warner Bros. on this exciting new exploration of the world of wizardry which has been tremendously successful across all of our businesses,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “She is an extraordinary writer, who ignited a reading revolution around the world, which then became an unprecedented film phenomenon. We know that audiences will be as excited as we are to see what her brilliant and boundless imagination conjures up for us.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Casualvacanycover_2266306a_thumb

Sorry for the delayed post guys! I received the notification this morning, & have been in class all day. My business & culture professor was very kind to let me take 5 minutes from class & post a quick article.

Posted by Catherine ( *SQUEE!*) on September 12, 2013, 02:28 PM report to moderator
Herbdcdr_thumb

YIKES! Now THIS is news! Fantastic news! Wow!
The gears are turning, my thoughts are churning and my mind is rolling for Rowling!!
Excitement renewed!

Posted by SproutMdme (OoM4,GS,CW) on September 12, 2013, 03:16 PM report to moderator
1393057603281_thumb
22029 Points

I’m just so happy right now :D

1393057603281_thumb
22029 Points

I’m just so happy right now :D

Photo_080206_009_thumb

I hope Warner Bros doesn’t screw this up. But Rowling has more than enough clout to bring them to their knees. What great news!

Posted by Didir on September 12, 2013, 04:50 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

I was sooooooo happy when I heard the news this morning I wanted to go outside and shout it out!!!!

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on September 12, 2013, 05:07 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

Rowling writing more HP content? I’m game. I did always wish that Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them was a bit longer of a book. :)

Posted by Mad But Happy on September 12, 2013, 05:08 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Best news in a long, long time. I guess we should have known that she couldn’t stay away from the Potterverse forever – it’s just too rich and fully realized an alternate world. Brava, JKR!

And just think of the wondrous magical creatures that modern digital movie technology will be able to serve up! There should be no limits to how she can use her formidable imagination.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 12, 2013, 05:40 PM report to moderator
Dobbysnap_thumb

I popped by when I saw “#Harry Potter” trending on Twitter. This is a giant ball of awesome. I bought ‘Fantastic Beasts’ when I was in high school and I love the idea of Rowling expanding the universe further with a screenplay.

Posted by Justin the Mighty on September 12, 2013, 05:54 PM report to moderator
Vdpqtmg_thumb

I’m so excited I don’t know what to do with myself! This is great! More Harry Potter things for everyone to look forward to! Does anyone know whether it’s going to be a TV movie or a theater movie because I might have missed that if it was mentioned.

Posted by Acciobrooms on September 12, 2013, 06:34 PM report to moderator
Icon_thumb

This makes me so happy.

Posted by Elwood J. Blues on September 12, 2013, 07:10 PM report to moderator
Image_thumb

SWEET!

Posted by Smitch on September 12, 2013, 07:37 PM report to moderator
Hogshead_thumb

Thank you, Catherine, for taking the time to post this incredible news item!

I’m so excited to know we’ll be able to spend more time visiting the marvelous creations of Jo Rowling — many thanks, Jo!!! Fantastic Beasts is one of my favorites, and I’m happy to see that our fellow Hufflepuff, Newt Scamander, will remain as the “author” and a new character in this film. (I assume it is a film.)

Have a wonderful time writing the screenplay, Jo! We’re all looking forward to viewing your results.

Posted by PollyC on September 12, 2013, 10:08 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

@Acciobrooms, it said ‘film’, so I assume they intend it as a feature film rather than a ‘made for TV’ one.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on September 13, 2013, 02:28 AM report to moderator
Valentine43_thumb

WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!

Posted by DARKE: Antares Pyxis Black =:) ★ on September 13, 2013, 03:37 AM report to moderator

"Couldn't remember all the goblin rebels' names, so I invented a few. It's all right," he said, helping himself to a Cornish pasty, while Mrs. Weasley looked stern, "they're all called stuff like Bodrod the Bearded and Urg the Unclean; it wasn't hard."

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014