J.K. Rowling to pen screenplay for Movie Spin off on "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

News
Posted by: Catherine
September 12, 2013, 02:23 PM

Warner Brothers has announced that a movie series based off of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. J.K. Rowling will be writing the screenplay for this extension of the wizarding franchise, making this her screenwriting debut. The focus of the film series will be Newt Scamander, "author" of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. According to J.K. Rowling, these films will take place 70 years before the first Harry Potter novel. Hypable reports J.K. Rowling's full statement:

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.” --J.K. Rowling

Warner Brothers stated: “We are incredibly honored that Jo has chosen to partner with Warner Bros. on this exciting new exploration of the world of wizardry which has been tremendously successful across all of our businesses,” said Kevin Tsujihara, Chief Executive Officer, Warner Bros. Entertainment. “She is an extraordinary writer, who ignited a reading revolution around the world, which then became an unprecedented film phenomenon. We know that audiences will be as excited as we are to see what her brilliant and boundless imagination conjures up for us.”

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News News

Beckett_thumb

I AM SO EXCITED I CANNOT CONTAIN MY FEELINGS!!! AH!!! THIS IS THE BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD ALL YEAR!!!!

Posted by Mudblood_and_proud on September 13, 2013, 09:18 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

This is good news to be sure… I am also hoping that the rumor of Jo writing a series of steampunk/magical stories taking place in 1920’s New York is for real…

Posted by Won_Two on September 13, 2013, 12:29 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

The more I think about this, the more I love the idea of Jo being the screenwriter and not just the author whose works the movies will be ‘based on’ or worse, merely ‘inspired by,’ to use the current Hollywood parlance. It means that she will have far more creative control than she did on the HP movies, and that seems all to the good.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 13, 2013, 02:54 PM report to moderator
Timeturner2_thumb

Most Awesome news i have heard all year! :) I, like everybody else, cannot wait! :-D

Posted by mariakingsford on September 13, 2013, 05:02 PM report to moderator
Free_gryffindor_emblem_icon_by_cyanide_tea-d5behoc_thumb

It is just so… MAGICAL!!! :D :D :D :D

Posted by Whisper *the friendly ghost* =:) on September 13, 2013, 10:13 PM report to moderator

Merlins Beard Fantastic news Wonder if any of the Lovegood creatures will make the cut.

Too Much Jo

Posted by Sol on September 13, 2013, 11:51 PM report to moderator
Got-hogwarts_houses_thumb

Good question, Sol! There could be a running joke about Newt just missing the recently sighted Crumple-Horned Snorkack wherever he goes.

Posted by WeenyOwl {The Human Deluminator} on September 14, 2013, 08:51 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_lof6suzoya1qzaf17o4_250_thumb

Hello again, Leaky. Long time, no posting here. Exciting news indeed, butterflies in my stomach all over. Only HP world can make me feel like this. Happy to be back, happy to have the fandom on out feet again. Something fantastic this way comes :)

Posted by Matea on September 14, 2013, 05:17 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_myzun5xhwu1tp4ll0o4_r1_250_thumb

So hyped for this!

Posted by horcruxhunter7 on September 14, 2013, 09:03 PM report to moderator

This is awesome! I really hope this could mean that Pottercast will return in full force. :) on youtube live perhaps…

Posted by keltek {WBM!} OoM4 on September 18, 2013, 04:28 PM report to moderator
Bronwyn_almost_4_months_thumb

Looking forward to this!

Posted by Xyra44 on September 21, 2013, 10:18 AM report to moderator
Avery-vogue_thumb

Cha-ching!

Posted by Averyfan on October 01, 2013, 02:23 PM report to moderator

Issue 28 - Apr. 2014

"[Percy's] not himself. His exam results came the day before you did; twelve O.W.L.s and he hardly gloated at all."