J. K. Rowling: Hermione/Ron Relationship Was "Wish Fulfillment"

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
February 01, 2014, 08:55 PM

In a new interview with Emma Watson for the magazine Wonderland (which Watson is guest editing this month) J. K. Rowling shockingly revealed that she regretted putting Ron and Hermione together romantically. The following comments come from The Sunday Times. The full interview between Rowling and Watson will come out with the Feb/March issue of Wonderland on February 7th.

“I wrote the Hermione/Ron relationship as a form of wish fulfillment,” she says. “That’s how it was conceived, really. For reasons that have very little to do with literature and far more to do with me clinging to the plot as I first imagined it, Hermione ended up with Ron.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” she continued, “I can hear the rage and fury it might cause some fans, but if I’m absolutely honest, distance has given me perspective on that. It was a choice I made for very personal reasons, not for reasons of credibility. Am I breaking people’s hearts by saying this? I hope not.”

Watson didn’t seem shocked by these comments and agreed with her. “I think there are fans out there who know that too and who wonder whether Ron would have really been able to make her happy.”

Rowling also says that Ron and Hermione would have needed “relationship counseling.”

Many thanks to Hypable for the tip. Stay close to Leaky for more on this surprise revelation when the full article comes out on the 7th.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent J.K. Rowling News

Spooky_cat_thumb

I always thought that many of the deaths and ships were done to manipulate it so that Harry was free to walk to Dumbledore’s office and view Snape’s memories by himself. His closest supporters were either dead or grieving. As an example, Remus Lupin was dead and the Weasleys were gathered together to mourn Fred. When it came time for Hermione to follow one of her 2 loves, she followed her romantic love interest instead of her platonic one. That to me was a very natural choice. So she was with the Weasleys mourning Fred when Harry was making his walk to the woods. Think of how much harder it would be to pry Hermione from Harry if he was her romantic love. So I always just thought the ship was done that way to make the plot work in the 7th book. I guess you could say I am not a romantic. :)

Posted by cbm on February 03, 2014, 02:30 AM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

I for one was very happy to read this, because I never like Hermione with Ron. Quite frankly he could never have kept up with her. She needed someone who she could have long and intelligent conversation with, and, no offence to Ron, but that wasnt his. He’s had driven her mad and they no doubt would have ended up divorced. Her and Harry had always been a great pair, they stick together through thick and thin no matter what. Whereas with Ron, when things got tough he left, he walked out and left. He was always a great friend to her, but as a lover, I never really bought it. As for Ginny and Harry, to me that always felt forced just so Harry could married into the Weasley family and officially be one of them. They all were family by book 2, no one needed to marry in to be one of the group.

JK also made a mistake having Neville and Luna not be married in canon. To which I say, screw it, in my mind they are.

Posted by LunaLuver on February 03, 2014, 02:45 AM report to moderator
Squirrel-flower-avt_thumb

Now now, JKR… what is done is done!
If you wish to mend yourself you’ve got to write a NEW fantasy saga!!!!!!!!
____

Posted by Inky on February 03, 2014, 05:36 AM report to moderator
Jacques_tati_hulot1_thumb

Rowling really needs to let her creation alone. What is done is done. Ron and Hermione had a brilliant build to their relation and they were perfect for each other.

Posted by Mr. Brightside on February 03, 2014, 03:25 PM report to moderator
Gq05_thumb

As with Rowling’s revelations on Dumbledore’s sexual orientation, her current statement on Ron and Hermione make no difference in the existing books. Fandom is obsessively possessive, so any changes to the established cannon is going to generate a great deal of praise and condemnation.

While I have always been a supporter of an authors right to tell their story in their own unique way, regardless of what anybody else has to say, I am not at all a supporter of hindsight writing… Especially when the work has been generally successful. It seems a lot like George Lucas’s never ending revisions to Star Wars. He had far too much time to overthink the problems, come up with special editions, and diminished the work as a whole.

Posted by Questarian on February 04, 2014, 01:12 AM report to moderator

No, this is different from Dumbledore. Dumbledore was always gay, throughout the book. She didn’t change her mind after the book. Dumbledore’ great love affair was with Grindelwald. Read the book. It is all in there. It really came to the forefront when one of the directors wanted to add dialogue to Dumbledore in the movie that would have been wrong for him because he’s homosexual.

With Ron and Hermione, she had them married and with kids in the book. She doesn’t say whether it was a good marriage or not, but it is in there. I happen to like the pairing. Ron is no idiot and the movies took away some of his best lines. Shame that.

The book pairing I really don’t like is Harry and Ginny. I think it should have been Harry and Luna, but that’s what fanfiction is for!

Posted by Curandera on February 04, 2014, 11:00 AM report to moderator
Steelers_thumb

As the author of the series, she has the right to say what she wants, when she wants. As far as Ron/Hermione vs Harry/Hermione I always went with whatever Jo said and trusted her to write the best story, without really having too much invested in either case scenario. However, I do feel that she probably should have left well enough alone because this could open up a lot of new possibilities of future “bombshells” that, at least I feel, have unlimited potential to change the way I feel about the story in certain regards. I always get certain feelings when reading the story about any number of topics and I wish to have those same feelings with every future read. Anyway, that’s just this Harry Potter lover’s humble opinion.

Posted by josh1210 on February 04, 2014, 06:52 PM report to moderator
0709091327_m_061608_em4_thumb

I think she should rewrite the books with those parts in them, and change it. I think that Ron should be with Luna Lovegood, that would be a great pairing.

Posted by CCB5Potterfan34 on February 04, 2014, 07:14 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

That abuse thing is totally ludicrous. It has no psychological basis at all. I still say once the article comes out these quotes will have a different spin within the body of the interview.

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on February 05, 2014, 11:11 PM report to moderator
Naughty_galaxy_thumb

Well said LaLa, I like Hermione and Ron and who says she can’t have interesting conversations with him, the intellectual conversations might be with other people, but you have to have variety in your life, someone with humour and many interests brings something else to your life. Hermione is not in isolation just because she’s married, goodness me, do people think that once you’re married there is nothing else in your life? Some people don’t seem to care about Ron at all, he is also a character who has feelings, he’s not a moron, he’s not devoid of common sense, I think that once Ron faced his demons when he destroyed the locket horcrux it marked a new beginning for him in a way, he definitely became more mature and proactive. The earlier films portray Ron poorly in many ways, giving Hermione some of his best lines, there is much more to his character in the books.

Posted by moglet [ITC!] on February 06, 2014, 02:03 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

Well said, yourself, moglet. They were my favorite relationship in the books.

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on February 06, 2014, 03:32 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

I agree with La La and Moglet. And it’s not a matter of ‘the books with those parts in them’ – these relationships are part of the structure of the entire series.

When I first read Deathly Hallows it was clear to me that Dumbledore’s feelings for Grindelwald were not just those of friendship – JKR’s ‘revelation’ later on just made explicit what had always been present in the books.

Ron is a loveable character, flawed, like the rest of us, but willing to change. He grew up in a happy, loving marriage and would surely have been a good husband and father just as Arthur was.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on February 07, 2014, 04:34 AM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

The full interview is now up on Jo’s website at http://www.jkrowling.co.uk/en_GB/news-events/press-and-media-archive#wonderland-interview

Posted by roonwit on February 07, 2014, 09:12 AM report to moderator

Whispers followed Harry from the moment he left his dormitory the next day. People lining up outside classrooms stood on tiptoe to get a look at him, or doubled back to pass him in the corridors again, staring. Harry wished they wouldn't, because he was t

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014