Alfonso Cuaron May Direct "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"

Cuaron
Posted by: Mel
May 19, 2014, 08:50 PM

Alfonso Cuaron, who directed "Prisoner of Azkaban" is reportedly in "deep in talks" to direct the first movie of the planned "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" trilogy:

There’s nothing official yet, but fans of the film Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban may have a big reason to anticipate the new Harry Potter spin-off film, Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them. Reports this morning say that Alfonso Cuarón, fresh off the triumph of Gravity, is readying a return to the Potter franchise. He’s reportedly “deep in talks” to direct the first spin-off film, which is scripted by J.K. Rowling and scheduled for a 2016 release.

You can read more here. Stay close to Leaky for news on whether Cuaron - or another director - takes the helm.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent Cuaron News

149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Personally, not a fan of Alfonso Cuaron for this. I was very disappointed in his take on POA. It’s the only film I don’t watch when ABC Family runs the extended versions of the HP movies. I’m seriously hoping Jo doesn’t select him to direct this movie, if she has that power.

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on May 20, 2014, 11:59 AM report to moderator

sessionka oom4 CW – What an extraordinary comment. You hold a very, very minority opinion if you do not admire Cuaron’s brilliant work on POA. Is Jo’s favourite film and rightly so.

Posted by Beazle on May 20, 2014, 05:17 PM report to moderator

I am very excited to have Alfonso back at the helm. POA was the most beautiful visually of all the films; just think of all those classic scenes- the dementors hand on the carriage door, DADA class with Snape in Grandmother’s clothes, Harry riding Buckbeak over the shining lake. I can’t wait to see what Alfonso Cuaron will bring to the screen this time.

Posted by Allium on May 20, 2014, 05:20 PM report to moderator

I agree with sessionka ! POA is my favourite book but I still cannot get over that werewolf and some other “flar” things . But all is a matter of taste and I still am curious how you can make 3 films out of a little school book….

Posted by Giant Fairy on May 21, 2014, 05:56 AM report to moderator

I also agree with sessionka. I loved POA the book, but the movie? Won’t watch it.Those annoying shrunken heads were a complete waste of time and CG money. I actaully won’t watch anything that Cuaron does.

Posted by moonbeam2830 on May 21, 2014, 10:26 AM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

Thanks ‘Giant Fairy’ and ‘moonbeam2830’ for letting me know I’m not alone :-)

You’ve both echoed my sentiments. :-)

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on May 21, 2014, 12:43 PM report to moderator
Severus_x_2_thumb

Giant Fairy, they are not making 3 films out of a little school book. They are creating original stories about Newt Scamander.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on May 21, 2014, 02:21 PM report to moderator

With JKR doing the screenplay and Alfonso directing Nov.2016 will b so far away i.e. can’t come quick enough.
All the HP movies had some “magic” 4 me but, P.O.A. despite the loss of the Albus we met in the first 2 conveyed the “magic” more as J K R presented it.
Wonder if Newt spots any of the elusive Lovegood claims?

Posted by Sol on May 21, 2014, 10:57 PM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

I think this is wonderful. We all have our opinions on the “book to movie” thing, and the HP movies are certainly not perfect. However, this new trilogy is not based on the main HP books. It’s something based off a book, but only lightly. It’s basically brand new storyline and characters in the HP world. I’m very excited for that, and I believe he’ll do it justice. :)

Posted by Mad But Happy on May 22, 2014, 11:17 AM report to moderator
Dobbysnap_thumb

Man… I really, really hope this is true. I absolutely love Cuaron and I was so pleased with Prisoner of Azkaban, which I thought had a great dark tinge to it without completely losing the bits of humor and childish wonder that I loved about the book.

Posted by Justin the Mighty on May 22, 2014, 01:38 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

The only good thing about Cuaron’s version of PoA was that my shock/horror at being transported to somewhere that was not the Hogwarts I knew and loved from the first two films made me search on line to find others who felt the same way and I found Leaky. I didn’t buy the DVD until it was selling at half the price so I had plenty of time to prepare myself for the details I had loathed like the ridiculous clock, the crows, flying Dementors, the irrelevant bluebird running bad joke and so on….. However, I was impressed by Buckbeak and Hagrid’s first lesson and loved Sirius Black and Wormtail. A definite curate’s egg, good in parts.

Posted by Graymayne on May 25, 2014, 04:38 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Def not my fav director, and too many departures into his own version of Jo’s great storyline. I would much rather see Chris do it… COS is the best of all the films as far as creating the visual mood & following canon goes.

Posted by Won_Two on May 26, 2014, 01:29 PM report to moderator
149638_103433969730594_2631787_n_thumb

I’m agreeing 100% with Graymayne and Won_Two…:-)

Posted by sessionka oom4 CW on May 27, 2014, 02:53 PM report to moderator

"Sure you can manage that broom, Potter?" said a cold, drawling voice...[br]"Yeah, reckon so," said Harry casually.[br]"Got plenty of special features, hasn't it?" said Malfoy, eyes glittering maliciously. "Shame it doesn't come with a [br]parachute -- in

Issue 28 - Aug. 2014