LeakyNews.com

Danish Harry Potter Cover Art Up for Action

Art
April 28, 2009, 01:38 PM

The seven original cover art work pieces of the Danish editions of the Harry Potter novels are now up for auction. As seen here, work done by artist Per Jørgensen, is up for auction starting this week and running until May 11th. The article on the auction gives some background and insight on how the artist created his cover work.

With his illustrations, Per Jørgensen has captured the mood in each individual book by putting the essence of the tale on the cover as a visual door to the story. He portrays Harry Potter as an ordinary boy with glasses, t-shirt and jeans. An ordinary boy who we all know and can identify with and who guides us through the books' magical, strange and fantastic universe where good and evil fight one another and where friendship, loyalty and courage are important qualities in the battle against evil.

Per Jørgensen often uses models for his figures. This makes the figures as alive and as realistic as possible and, in this way, he creates a natural bridge between reality and fantasy. For the first two books, Harry Potter is drawn according to Erik, a boy who is a relative of Per Jørgensen. On the cover of the sixth book, 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', Per Jørgensen has also used his family and himself as models.

Per Jørgensen is one of the few illustrators in Denmark who draws and paints everything by hand. Thus, all the illustrations are small, unique master pieces. They are painted with a special technique using oil or acrylic on gesso ground paper. Gesso is a white, matt, ground paint that is applied to the paper in several layers before the subject is painted with oil and brush. Gesso ground prevents the oil from pulling out in the paper and ruining the paintings ability to fasten to the paper. Per Jørgensen is one of the very few illustrators working with oil on paper. This gives a very special and unique result where the paper's thin, smooth surface and oil's many possibilities for work with colour, shade and detail form a synthesis.

Bidding is now open on these gorgeous pieces of work for the Harry Potter Danish Translations, here. We also have the cover art here in our image galleries.
Thanks so much to Ulrik from Azkaban. dk!

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Avatar_hp_thumb

WOW! I wish I had the money for these.
So, much time and efort has gone into making them. They are really good and whoever get’s them is really lucky! :) :)

Image_thumb

Wow, if I could only afford to hang those in my future office – or classroom. :( Whoever gets them is a lucky wizard or witch, and I hope they truly appreciate them. He is an amazing artist!

Posted by Smitch on April 28, 2009, 01:54 PM report to moderator
N8846922_43549767_6482_thumb

those illustrations are awesome!

Posted by avrenim [WBM!] on April 28, 2009, 01:55 PM report to moderator

Wow! they are really pretty

Posted by marigan on April 28, 2009, 02:00 PM report to moderator
3176_1148335864275_1103912219_30424142_7574358_n-3_thumb

They all look awesome!

Posted by Mhæy™⌠R☺AR⌡ on April 28, 2009, 02:19 PM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

Beautiful work!

Posted by Graymayne on April 28, 2009, 02:40 PM report to moderator
282600_233804939987291_100000733600249_807455_78180_n_thumb

Thats cool!!! Kinda a slow day huh

Posted by Horcruxalej on April 28, 2009, 03:05 PM report to moderator
Hungryfish_thumb

They ARE cool! Being Danish my first introduction to HP were the Danish translations. I have always loved Per Jørgensens cover art to HP, and I had him sign the first five books, when I heard him tell about his HP cover art at the local library. ME (at that time aged 33) and 20 children with their parents :-)

Posted by ourempire on April 28, 2009, 03:45 PM report to moderator
Gftw_thumb

Cool Illustrations!!!

Posted by iconshero [GftW] on April 28, 2009, 03:59 PM report to moderator
Photo-103336_thumb_thumb

If those are Inferi on that one cover that is way too creepy!!

Posted by Phlegm dela Coeur on April 28, 2009, 05:01 PM report to moderator
Rowena_thumb

These are so beautiful! I love that they’re way more emotional and sinister than the U.S. ones (tho I love Mary Grand-Pre’s work!). I like that they’re in a very Romantic style, in that they’re very dynamic. Beautiful!

Posted by lumosshimmy {WBM!} on April 28, 2009, 05:08 PM report to moderator

Yaaay! I’m Danish! :) I like the Danish cover art but I prefer the original British, and I read them in English anyway.

Posted by Selina on April 28, 2009, 05:17 PM report to moderator
49860_1104575754_1481_n_thumb

I agree with Lummosshimmy. I love this art — especially painting of the inferi.

Posted by Garden State Geek on April 28, 2009, 05:38 PM report to moderator
250px-youre-a-wizard

My favourite is the one on which he illustrated the participants in the Battle of Hogwarts.

Posted by EnricoDc on April 28, 2009, 06:51 PM report to moderator
B9ce557d1547686c_thumb

Beautiful..call me jealous!!

Posted by ErinM {Roar} on April 28, 2009, 06:53 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?