LeakyNews.com

David Yates Receives BAFTA Brittania Award, Talks Future "Doctor Who" Project

Yates Interviews
Posted by: Stephanie_J
December 01, 2011, 06:44 PM

Director David Yates was presented with the John Schelsinger Britannia Award for Excellence in Directing on Wednesday night at the Los Angeles BAFTA ceremony. According to the Telegraph, a surprise video message to Yates from Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint and Emma Watson was played for the director.

Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange) also won the award for British Artist of the Year. The 2011 Brittania Awards will air Dec. 4 on the TV Guide Network at 8:30 p.m. EST.

The Los Angeles Times recently sat down with Yates to discuss his career post-Potter. During the interview, Yates joked about forming a group with the abbreviation HPA...for Harry Potter Anonymous:

"I’m recovering from six and half years of incredibly intense schedules and expectations. I have post-Hogwarts Syndrome. We were joking last night that we were going to form HPA, Harry Potter Anonymous …. Helena Bonham Carter and [franchise producer] David Heyman, Jo Rowling, all of us will have yearly meetings and stand up. ‘Hello my name is David, I was a ‘Potter’ director ….‘ We need some sort of therapy together. How do I feel? I feel proud of the work and I feel glad that it’s behind me now, the weight of it and the responsibility of it. I’m looking forward to the next thing.”
Yates is attached to a film version of the popular British TV series "Doctor Who," but says that the film is still several years away. In the meantime, he hopes to be back in the director's chair by the spring. The complete interview can be read at this link.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Da_thumb

FIRST!!

This is great. My friend loves Dr. Who. Must tell her about it.

Posted by harrypotter4258 on December 01, 2011, 08:13 PM report to moderator
Da_thumb

And by the way, if you could help me out by just voting for me 3 times, I would really appreciate it: http://www.myhogwarts.co.uk/ho­neydukes/2309
Thanks! :)

Posted by harrypotter4258 on December 01, 2011, 08:28 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

How very nice…

Posted by Won_Two on December 01, 2011, 09:59 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_mhtdm2xtoo1r5souzo7_250_thumb
20981 Points

Congrats to them both. And yay on the Dr Who movie! :D

Posted by LunaLuver on December 02, 2011, 02:05 AM report to moderator
Hpphotoshop_thumb

I love Doctor Who and it would be great if they did this because the series deserves another movie. They had one before, which was the eighth doctor and it was okay but it could definately be better now.

Love the little joke because I think I’ll be the same :D

Posted by Calum Wilson (RuneDream54) on December 02, 2011, 05:20 AM report to moderator
Wig4_thumb

How very nice

Posted by Fleur-de- Lily on December 02, 2011, 05:59 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

Many of us, over on Anglophilia, have made our disgust clear that this most disrespectful “director” – who is only interested in changing iconic material to what he “thinks” it should be – would be allowed to run rampant with the Doctor. He said – I kid you not – that he is interested in creating a “reinterpretation” of the Doctor. Honestly, he needs to stay away from already formed universes. Bully for him, if he is so interested in creating new worlds. As a director, he should be interested in doing so. But he should make an attempt at creating a new universe and going for it and keep his grimy little mitts out of worlds that he has no business re-doing. I don’t know who he thinks he is but he needs to pull himself together keep away from iconic figures. He is NOT worthy.

Posted by DeliaDee on December 02, 2011, 07:26 AM report to moderator
377029_1659854834071_1768172201_813069_1187891830_n_1__thumb

congrats David, finally your hard work is paying off in the form of rewards although you have our gratitude as HP fans

Posted by mencia on December 02, 2011, 08:37 AM report to moderator
Shaw__4__thumb

This Doctor Who movie is A VERY BAD IDEA.

Posted by HogwartsForever on December 02, 2011, 08:45 AM report to moderator

HE WAS IN LA? GAH, I WAS SO CLOSE TO HIM! Anyway, CONGRATS! And I want to see that surprise video from the Golden Trio. :)

Posted by . on December 02, 2011, 10:43 AM report to moderator

LOL, I think I’ve got post-Hogwarts syndrome too. Anyone involved in the films must have it big-time.

Posted by anne1 on December 02, 2011, 04:51 PM report to moderator
Ron-and-hermione_thumb

Nice! HPA on the go! LOL! At least we know now that HP is such a big part in his life!
He’ll do great in his endeavors. Best of luck to him!

Posted by lovelle on December 03, 2011, 11:50 PM report to moderator
9407947_thumb

Really? It sounds like this was their way of thanking him but dont expect a big award in the future. Sorry, I think small scenes were good but overall, the movies he has been involved in have been short sighted.

Posted by sidnandragin on December 04, 2011, 01:22 AM report to moderator
Prophecy_thumb

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!!! Stephen Moffat says that David Yates was talking out of his bleep (my words not his – Mr. Moffat is far more polite than I). It would never be for anyone else – even Yates and his ego – to decide if there is a movie. The good Doctor is a BBC property and it would be up to them and they have absolutely no plans to make a film version with anyone. nyah nyah nyah (mature, aren’t I?- I’m sorry but I couldn’t help gloating. I was just so relieved.)

Posted by DeliaDee on December 06, 2011, 06:49 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?