LeakyNews.com

Rumor: Harry Potter Series to be Bundled with Sony's New E-Reader

Books
Posted by: Stephanie_J
August 16, 2011, 03:09 PM

The Register is reporting that Sony has gained "early electronic rights" to the Harry Potter e-books and that Sony's next generation e-reader, expected to be released in November, will come bundled with the 7 Harry Potter books plus a letter from J.K. Rowling, subscription to Pottermore and a themed carry case.

Please note that at the moment this is still under the rumor category and has not been confirmed by Sony, a Pottermore sponsor, or J.K. Rowling.

The Harry Potter e-books are expected to be sold exclusively through Pottermore when the site opens to all.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Great! I plan on buying a Kindle soon and with Jo selling e-books for the Harry Potter series is just amazing :) But, I’m sad his will be the future, I actually like books!

Posted by . on August 16, 2011, 03:20 PM report to moderator

I’m suspicious about the Pottermore subscription, but as for the rest… why not? I’m sure Sony/Pottermore’s PR department/JKR will clarify soon enough if there’s anything to the story.

Posted by honigmuffin on August 16, 2011, 03:24 PM report to moderator
Beach_thumb

I will be getting the books for my Nook just as soon as I can! I buy my favorite books in both DTB copies and ebooks. <3

Posted by StephieLB on August 16, 2011, 03:26 PM report to moderator
Beach_thumb

Posted by StephieLB on August 16, 2011, 03:27 PM report to moderator
Beach_thumb

Sorry for the double post above. Still learning! :)

Posted by StephieLB on August 16, 2011, 03:28 PM report to moderator
Hipster-potter-top_thumb

Errgh, I’ve already got a Kindle, but my someone may get that as a hand-me down, if this is true. I’d want that bundle.

Posted by WildIce43 on August 16, 2011, 03:31 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

The Pottermore site says “Also, in October, the Pottermore Shop will open, where readers can exclusively purchase and download the digital audio books and, for the first time, the eBooks, with the complete series available in a range of popular language editions – and more languages to be added later.” which contradicts the Register article somewhat. I can believe Sony will get bundling rights first and rights to a Potter special edition, but it certainly sounds as if the ebooks will be available to download from October from the Pottermore site as well.

Posted by roonwit on August 16, 2011, 03:34 PM report to moderator
2004_hp_and_the_prisoner_of_azkaban_012_thumb

Pottermore subscription? But we know the site is free! I think I’ll take that bit with a pinch of salt.

Posted by TheGryffindorFox on August 16, 2011, 03:35 PM report to moderator
Rofr10_thumb

The Pottermore subscription mentioned may be on the eBook side, perhaps allowing you to download the books again (eg. if your reader is damaged) or you want it in another format).

Posted by roonwit on August 16, 2011, 03:37 PM report to moderator
Us_and_tom_thumb

How much is the E-Reader going to cost?

Posted by rainbowapplefizz on August 16, 2011, 03:46 PM report to moderator
Us_and_tom_thumb

Sorry, hit submit too soon. I’m confused because the link to the Register is stating that Pottermore access will not allow us to buy the e-books until 2012, but I thought they were being made available in October.

Posted by rainbowapplefizz on August 16, 2011, 03:48 PM report to moderator
354970789b_thumb

Cool for all ebook users. Though I doubt it’s true, as that article says that you’ll be able to get all seven ebooks next year, and Jo said that she’ll stagger the release of each book, one a year.
When it comes to books, I’m a purist, if it can’t give me a paper cut then I don’t want it! :D

Posted by Vicki_The_House_Elf *ROAR* ϟ on August 16, 2011, 04:01 PM report to moderator
Jenavieve_one_thumb

I have a Kobo, but if this is true, i want this one instead !!

Posted by AlexWeasley12 {WitchFelicis130} on August 16, 2011, 04:08 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20963 Points

I dont hate the idea of Kindle, Nook, E-Reader, ect.,if fact I like it very much. But I do hate how they are slowly taking the place of real books and causing bookstores to close. Would reading the HP series been the same on a Kindle? Not being able to feel the pages as you turned them, not closing DH at the end and huggin it to you in shock that this was the last one? No tear stained pages to look back on 20 years from now when we read these amazing books to our own children? No it wouldnt have.The true magic just would not have been there. It’ll never take the place of suggling up with a real book, on a rainy afternoon. Lets remember that when you get all ecited about E-Readers and such, its just not the same.

Posted by LunaLuver on August 16, 2011, 04:13 PM report to moderator
018734281a3970190750b972929570l_normal_thumb

I’m more a fan of the physical book but last year I was living in Spain and it would have been much easier is all my books were on e-reader. The only annoying thing is that I can copy my cds into itunes if I want it on my ipod. But I have to re-buy the book to get it on my reader.

Posted by KiwiMcI on August 16, 2011, 04:14 PM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?