LeakyNews.com

Harry Potter Shop at Platform 9 3/4 Press Preview, Video

Events
Posted by: Rosi
December 15, 2012, 09:24 PM

As we told you earlier in the week, The Harry Potter Shop at Platform 9 3/4 opened to the public today after Warwick Davis (Professor Flitwick, Griphook) cut the ribbon and opened the shop to the press for a preview on Friday. Leaky was one of the lucky guests invited to have a look around and you can see some of the things inside the shop, its layout and a number of 9 3/4 exclusives in the video below, which also includes a clip of Warwick Davis and the ribbon cutting ceremony.

The shop is small but packed with merchandise, much of it familiar to fans, with items from the Noble Collection such as the locket and Luna's beaded radish earrings, alongside the Harry Potter books and Hogwarts jumpers. Walking in after the very brief ribbon cutting ceremony, it was the 9 3/4 hoodies that immediately caught my eye. Priced at a fairly reasonable £29.99, the hoodies bear a stamp-like print of the platform number and can be seen in the video above.

When asked about his favourite items in the shop, Warwick Davis named the wands but also stressed that he'd like a functioning Deluminator to save him the trouble of turning the lights off at night. The actor further found himself in knots trying to pick between Flitwick and Griphook when he was asked which character he preferred playing and settled on "both of them". You can watch more from the Q&A with Davis in a video to be uploaded soon on our YouTube channel.

The size of the shop makes everything seem smaller, creakier and all-in-all like it quietly crept out of the brickwork without anyone noticing, which, to be fair, it almost did. Those employed to work on and promote the project did a fantastic job about keeping quiet, preventing any half-baked spoiler photographs purely because no one knew it was happening (TLC only found out a couple of days before the launch event).

The date of the opening is, conveniently, a couple of weeks before Christmas Day, and with early opening hours, The Harry Potter Shop is sure to catch commuters as well as the fans who stopped by to take photographs with the giveaway trolley and platform sign just next door. Have any Leaky readers visited the shop yet? If so, let us know what you thought and stay close for more video and some pictures from the event.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Harry_potter__hbp_promo__3_thumb

Woah! Why do I live so far away?! Have to go there really soon!!

Posted by forgetmenot_007 on December 16, 2012, 02:51 AM report to moderator
Hedwig_avatar_thumb

That has to be the smartest marketing move imaginable!

Posted by Graymayne on December 16, 2012, 04:03 AM report to moderator

I visited the Platform 9 3/4 shop today after finding out about it. I am a very big Harry Potter fan and wouldn’t normally be critical but I really was disappointed with the shop. Most of the merchandise wasn’t exclusive like it is at the studios in Watford. It is the sort of stuff you could buy online and some of it was very bad quality. They had the Noble Collection merch which is always nice to look at but as a student I really can’t afford. :( All I bought was a Platform 9 3/4 ticket for £5 which was OK, but at least that’s something special you probably can’t find many places. Hopefully it will improve in time though!! :)

Posted by Red*Sparks on December 16, 2012, 12:08 PM report to moderator
Tumblr_n28b4fpncl1qan42po2_r1_250_thumb
20962 Points

This is a brilliant idea!!! :D I really need to get myself to London. :)

Posted by LunaLuver on December 16, 2012, 02:15 PM report to moderator
The-two-hardest-things-to-say-in-life-are-hello-for-the-first-time-and-goodbye-for-the-last_thumb

is it bad that i started swooning while watching it?

Posted by the mudblood princess:)/ginnylove101 {WBM}=:) on December 16, 2012, 08:30 PM report to moderator
Hp_thumb

I’d love to have one of the 9 3/4 shirts – those are great. I wonder if they will have an online shop eventually?

Posted by Ravenclaw78 on December 17, 2012, 10:01 AM report to moderator

Red*Sparks were there chocolate frogs there? I was hoping there would be to save a six month wait before I go back to Studio tour.

Posted by anne1 on December 17, 2012, 03:29 PM report to moderator

anne1 no they didn’t have chocolate frogs or any of the stuff from the Studio Tour. I was hoping they would have them too, and a couple of the other sweets like Bertie Botts Beans etc.

Posted by Red*Sparks on December 17, 2012, 04:24 PM report to moderator

oh that’s disappointing :( was going to drop by on my way home from work tomorrow, might still take a look.

Posted by anne1 on December 17, 2012, 04:57 PM report to moderator
Slytherin_2_thumb

I’m taking a trip there in January (I really need to replace my well-read and battered HP books; what better opportunity to do so?). Thank you for providing us with a video!

On a side note, If I were ever able to work at the HP store, I sure as hell would! Sadly the commute is crazy (40-minute train journey to Waterloo and two Tubes for me).

Posted by PixieQueen83 on December 18, 2012, 05:46 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

This will be on my list of places to go if I ever cross the Atlantic!

Posted by Mad But Happy on December 18, 2012, 12:39 PM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Hopefully they will be open to suggestions on what to stock & offer…

Posted by Won_Two on December 19, 2012, 11:34 AM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?