LeakyNews.com

J. K. Rowling Speaks About Her Years as a Single Mother for Gingerbread Organization

J.K. Rowling
Posted by: Mel
September 18, 2013, 08:47 PM

J. K. Rowling, writing as president of the Gingerbread organization for single parents, has written about her experiences and struggles as a single mother in support of single parents:

Nearly twenty years ago (it’s a shock to me to write that, because it still seems quite a recent occurrence) I became a single parent.  Like the vast majority of single parents, this had not been my plan.  My much-wanted daughter had been conceived and born while I was married, but the failure of that relationship saw me living shortly afterwards on state benefits in the coldest winter Scotland had seen in quite a few years.  I had been living in sunny Portugal prior to my return to the UK and the snow was merely the first shock to my system.

I had imagined that I would be back at work fast.  Indeed, it was because I expected to be employed outside of the home again that I was working so hard to finish the children’s novel I never told anyone I was writing (not wishing to be told that I was deluded).  As it turned out, my belief I would shortly be back in paid work turned out to be a much bigger delusion than the hope that the novel might be published.

You can read more here, at Gingerbread's site.

Previous Article | Next Article Browse all Recent News
Follow @Leaky on Twitter

Severus_x_2_thumb

Everyone should read the whole article, especially our politicians.

Posted by Valeria-Johanna on September 19, 2013, 09:30 AM report to moderator
Raven_avatar_thumb

Thats a really compelling article…

Posted by Won_Two on September 20, 2013, 12:51 AM report to moderator
Hogshead_thumb

Yes, V-J, we all could use many people like Jo in our political arenas everywhere. Wonder if she would run?

Posted by PollyC on September 21, 2013, 01:41 AM report to moderator
Petunia2_thumb

It’s so sad to think… if she hadn’t written the HP books, and gotten a bit lucky, where would she be now? With all the other people in poverty. She has such a brilliant mind, yet that would have been her fate. None of us would be on this site. How many other people, living in poverty, will not be lucky enough to reach their full potential? It’s scary to think about it.

Posted by Mad But Happy on September 21, 2013, 10:01 PM report to moderator
Th_ravenclawawesome_thumb

Very thought provoking and close to my heart as a single mother. <3

Posted by La La Toadstone =:) on September 22, 2013, 10:42 AM report to moderator
Ready to see Leaky in Color?