Keith Olbermann Speculates on “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”

115

Jun 27, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Many readers have owled us to let us know MSNBC anchor and Harry Potter fan Keith Olbermann, of the Countdown television program, devoted a segment of his program last week to give viewers his thoughts on the soon to be published Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Always with a sense of humor, Mr. Olbermann discusses some recent news adding in his perspective and speculating on the possible ending of the series.

As Mr. Olbermann says himself in the piece, fans who do not wish to hear his personal opinion of how the Harry Potter series ends or specific details of the alleged ending, as posted online by a supposed ‘hacker’ last week, do NOT watch the video.

Having been cautioned, readers who wish to watch the humorous video from last weeks show, can do so here.

Thank you to the many readers who emailed with this news!

42 Responses to Keith Olbermann Speculates on “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows”

Avatar Image says:

Obviously his speculation is oversimplifed to the max. But it’s still enjoyable to see somebody who I respect so much displaying a whole lot of Harry Potter knowledge. :)

Avatar Image says:

actually that is not too far off my own speculation. but he said that the basilisk was the horcrux. tsk tsk. maybe he should re-read the series before seven comes out. that is what i am doing and it is amazing the things you notice if you are trying to see forshadowing. i am so excited!

Avatar Image says:

I loved the ending it left me in stitches. I don’t agree with all of his theory but I do think Harry will live and that Snape will do something to help in the end leaving him still a git but on the good side.

Avatar Image says:

I really enjoyed the ending. It made me laugh so hard. I also really liked his theory and comment about the hacker because obviously he’s a fan. I don’t agree with his theory though but I do see it as a possibility though. And you’re right it was simplified to the ubermax.

Anyways, haha!

Weelll?????

The horcruz is Harry’s Scar. Just one comment Mr O, read the series again and especially Jennie’s comments about being possessed by Voldie.

The person would know but lose all sense of self. They also, wouldn’t have control of what they were doing. HArry killing himself to destroy voldermort because the hoircruz was gone.

Please Mr O, Voldermort would yet be alive.

The snake did not belong to Vol-die it was a monster that lived for centuries and only the heir of Slytherin could command.

When the diary was destroyed that part of Vol-die died.

But i liked the idea though it shows some promise on your writing skills and that you have read the books.

Avatar Image says:

1) This is a very good, detailed analysis of HP (in a nutshell). Probably the best Ive seen from a person in the mainstream media, and hes obviously a fan. 10 points for Keith!

2) His theory actually is pretty good, about snape offering another way and harry being a horcrux. I dont agree with it, but its thoghtful and probable. HOWEVER, giving up magical ability, I just dont see that as a price, cuz I dont think it can be done.

Avatar Image says:

I was personally shocked @ his knowledge of Harry, despite his slipup w/ the basilisk. Harry losing his magical ability…well, jo did say that once she is done, no 1 will b able 2 continue the series. But that is almost as bad as harry dying.

Avatar Image says:

That was hilarious. It doesn’t even matter if he got a few things off, his delivery was perfect.

Avatar Image says:

The SoPotters?! LOLWTF? Good stuff Keith!

Avatar Image says:

LMAO! I too think that is exactly the way it’ll end! No I don’t! Terrible if it would, I think Jo would face the biggest angry mod in history right in her front door! XD

Avatar Image says:

I love Keith Olbermann! I usually watch his show but I must have missed this one. I love his alternate ending, lol! Nice tip of the hat to The Sopranoes, lol!

Avatar Image says:

I saw this last night. He got a few of his facts wrong, but his hypothesis is not too far from my own. I would definitely agree that Harry’s scar is a horcrux. He was so enthusiastic too.

Avatar Image says:

I believe that Harry will die in order for Voldemort to die, as for the Hacker who claims to have broken into bloomberrry’s? server, from the finish, it sounds like an ultra reglious person (possibly Laura Mallory) who’s trying to stop anyone from buying to books, to save everyone.

Avatar Image says:

I think he misunderstood the Chamber of Secrets connection (missing the diary connection of Tom for basilisk connection for Salazar).

That said, I would really think it would be fitting if Harry gave up his magic. That was sort of hinted in Order of the Phoenix, how if Harry was expelled he’d have to live like a Muggle and knowing what lies out there would be hard for him to deal. But in this case, he’d sacrifice his magical abilities, defeat Voldemort, and he could still have Hermione and Ron, and even Ginny. They’d still be with him, regardless if he was now a Muggle.

Avatar Image says:

Oh, and it would mean that Harry wouldn’t have to die in the final battle, which would be terrible.

Avatar Image says:

Okay … that was freakin’ hysterical. I love Keith and his countdown!

Avatar Image says:

I liked his ending. I think we’ll hear Ginny make a commen in line with her comment about her and Bill. Fleur said she was beautiful enough for the two of them. Ginny will tell Harry something along the same lines – that she’s powerful enough for the two of them. ha ha Maybe the last line will be Ginny saying “scar? we don’t need no stinking scar!”

Avatar Image says:

sorry – typos… I liked his ending. I think we’ll hear Ginny make a comment in line with fleur’s comment about herself and Bill. Fleur said she was beautiful enough for the two of them. Ginny will tell Harry something along the same lines – that she’s powerful enough for the two of them. ha ha Maybe the last line will be Ginny saying “scar? we don’t need no stinking scar!”

Avatar Image says:

it says video is not avalible. anyone have it for download or on youtube?

Avatar Image says:

omg that was funny… but it has my mind going… what if Harry does have to give up is powers?!? what if he does have to kill himself?!? what if ginny has a hell of a time parallel parking?!? hahahahahahhaha srry had to put that in there… but what if…

Avatar Image says:

Well, I commend them on their ability to rerun my companies commercial over and over and over again, but the video was unavailable, even when I clicked the link on their page.

John B.

Avatar Image says:

One glaringly obvious mistake. The horcrux was in the diary NOT the basilisk! Also could he possibly manage to pronounce JK Rowling’s name properly – it is spelt with a “w” not a “u”.

Avatar Image says:

I laughed so hard when I watched this the other night (TWICE! YAY FOR RERUNS!). The ending was the best.

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who sent in this news tip!

Avatar Image says:

Small correction to the opening comment: this piece didn’t run last week, but just this past Monday (June 25). Otherwise, glad to see it here. I was tickled pink.

Avatar Image says:

Weirdest of sisters, it’s perfectly reasonable that he should think it was pronounced row as in argument as opposed to row as in rowing a boat.

I liked the idea of Snape giving Harry vital information that he possesses thanks to his own talent and intelligence. It’s the only way he can help him without it stinking of cheese.

Avatar Image says:

Here’s the thing. IF Harry or Harry’s scar is a Horcux, that means either Harry has to die or the scar removed BEFORE Voldemort is killed. Dumbledore told Harry that all the Horcruxes must be destroyed and then the last bit of Voldemort’s soul is to be destroyed, the bit still in his body. If this is the case, and Keith’s theory of Harry losing his magical abilities after losing the scar is true (very interesting, but I doubt it) then either Harry will be dead or not have any magical abilities in order to defeat Voldemort. Previous books have made it abundantly clear that Harry has to have a final showdown with Voldemort so I don’t think it is a viable theory that Harry or his scar is a Horcrux.

Of course Dumbledore could have been wrong and Harry need not destroy all the other Horcruxes before destroying Voldemort, so who REALLY knows?

Avatar Image says:

That comment wasn’t last week. It was broadcast on MONDAY, June 26th. Good God, at least get the date right!

Avatar Image says:

Clever, humorous, and a good long publicity spot for Potter film and book upcoming. Not exceedingly accurate in every detail, but much better than a lot of reporting out there. I like the “Sopotters” bit at the end.

Avatar Image says:

I think that ending would suck, Harry losing his powers. That’s just as worse as him dying.

Avatar Image says:

oh my god…that could actually happen though. I will be very upset, just like the Sopranos ending.

Avatar Image says:

funny theory but i dont think it will happen. as far as people mobbing the streets if harry dies i think that would be stupid and childish. even if harry dies (which i really hope he doesn’t) i’d still go see the rest of the movies and would probably read through the book more than a couple times after. I’d be upset and heartbroken but i would go balistic

Avatar Image says:

Lol Mary! Who needs a stinkin scar anyways… His theory about the “give of being a wizard” ending was something I’ve never even considered… Very interesting. -B

Avatar Image says:

I hated his theory when I saw the clip but I guess that was because I always believed that Harry would die, and I think I can face Harry’s die more than I can face Harry losing his powers. Overall, it was well thought out (so I do like it in ways) speical the part with Harry dying and then no one watching the rest of the movies (I would) but I think Jo cares more about literature than money and the publishers know they cannot make her change the ending. But nice to see people putting effort into theories on Harry Potter and then making a new report on it.

The end was hysterical!

I’ve never watched his show, but I’m definitely going the check it out.

Avatar Image says:

OMG I loved the second ending. That was great.

Avatar Image says:

It’s ROWling, like BOWLing! And the mistake on the Basilisk as many have mentioned before. sigh

But he is, by far, the most knowledgable of any media-type we have seen to date. I was ready to pull my hair out when “The Insider” gave their ridiculous report several days ago.

Great recap, Keith, and you made me laugh!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, a nice theory… remember that spell that Dumbledore used against Voldemort in the Ministry and made the hairs of the back of Harry’s neck to stand? Rumor has it was intended to “purge” V from his powers (”...other ways to destroy a man…”)If the same spell is used on Harry… well, just 23 days left. Great theory tough!

Avatar Image says:

If the scar disapears in exchange for Voldemort’s demise, he could loose his ability to speak parsel tongue, as a price.

Does anyone care about parsel tongue?

After reading so many essays and countless opinions, I am of the opinion that I am at a loss for an opinion. My head is spinning and I do not know if I am coming or going. I will simply read the book with passion and be thankful it is over and that I can recover my mind what has been obsessed for so many years with Harry Potter, The Child Who Survived. He may just do it again, survive. Why not?

Let us pray! as they say in church.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with several of his ideas, save one- Harry losing ALL his magical powers. If the scar is a Horcux, it only contains Voldemort’s magical abilities. Harry has his own abilities. The evidence is his acceptance to Hogwart’s. When a magical child is BORN, his name is recorded on a list by a magic quill. Further evidence, the Sorting Hat said that Harry would do well in Slytherin because, he tells Harry “it’s all in your head.” So, it may be that that part of Harry’s abilities due to Voldy are due to the scar. Remove the scar, no Parseltongue, but he would still fly.

Avatar Image says:

I won’t watch the clip because I’m at the point where I just don’t want to hear other people’s opinions on what will happen. That being said, I do love Keith Olbermann! I can’t believe I missed that particular “Countdown”.

Avatar Image says:

I love Keith Olbermann’s show. I watch it all the time.

I though Voldermrot made his snake Nagi into a horcrux, not the Basalisk. That was left by Slytherin in th Chamber of Secrets. Personally, I never bought that the scar is a horcrux. Something that powerful and serious I wouldn’t think you could make by mistake like that. He was performing the killing curse when he was trying to kill Harry. I don’t know, but I thought making a horcrux would be like putting memories into the Penseive. Kill someone, get your object, remove that part of your soul with your wand, and then add it to the object. Harry’s death was suppose to the basis of the 7th horcrux. There is also the bit in GoF at the end when Voldermort’s wand was regurgitating spells. Nothing came out to show any weird ritual was done between the caretakers spirit and his parents.

Avatar Image says: I know no one will read this, but still. Just found this, and I gotta say, Keith had the right idea - he wasn't correct, but the whole "self-sacrifice" thing was on the mark. The Snape thing, while not on the mark, he got correct as well - Snape died, but doing so gave Harry the instructions, basically, on how to defeat Voldy and commit that self-sacrifice.

Write a Reply or Comment