“Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” Premieres in Japan

246

Jun 28, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix had its world premiere in Tokyo earlier today and a number of reports have been released online detailing the massive event. First, the BBC has a new report online from the red carpet along with a short video which shows Dan greeting the hundreds of fans, many dressed in Potter attire, who came out to see him. USA Today is also reporting an AP story which goes into more detail about the many fans at the premiere. From the article:

Hundreds of young Japanese fans, many wearing witch costumes and holding magic wands, screamed when Daniel Radcliffe appeared as white smoke spewed on the stage.

“Japanese fans are the best!” Radcliffe, dressed in a white suit, said in simple Japanese.

In related Reuters report from the Toronto Star, Dan spoke with the wire service about the film and the ‘greater maturity’ he expresses in “Order of the Phoenix” and how his own maturity has effected the role. David Heyman, Harry Potter film producer, also attended the premiere and spoke briefly on the casts growth since the first film in 2001. Mr. Heyman said:

“They really grow up as actors,” he told Reuters at the premiere.

“In the first film, Christopher Columbus had to do things like ‘chin up’ all through the takes if he was not focused, ‘come on, don’t look away’, ‘Oh, you are scared’.

“Now they are able to collaborate with the director and create the parts you will see in the film.”

Finally, images from the premiere and of Dan Radcliffe’s arrival in Japan yesterday are now online. Getty Images is now featuring a number of pictures of Dan Radcliffe arriving in Japan yesterday and of Harry Potter producer David Heyman, along with Radcliffe, on the red carpet at the World Premiere. WireImage has similar photos of these two events which can be seen here.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will premiere stateside in Los Angles, CA on July 8th and will be released in theaters around the country on July 11th.

37 Responses to “Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix” Premieres in Japan

Avatar Image says:

white suit? oh god, but his hair looks great though! can’t wait \o/

Avatar Image says:

Are they having a premiere in England?

Avatar Image says:

Whoa! Dan is looking sharp in that white suit. Like a modern white Knight. Very trendy and very handsome still. He’s the only HP cast in attendance eventhough this is the world premiere. I do think WB is placing such a load of responsibilty on Dan’s sholulders. But if there is any one HP cast who can take the world press and the Japan fans alone, it’s Dan Radcliffe!

Avatar Image says:

Thanks Leaky! Dan looks great, very smart and handsome. I see David was there too, and loads of fans!!! Japanese fans are really enthusiastic, I like how a lot of them dressed as the characters!

Avatar Image says:

I can not believe this has already started, it seems it was yesterday when they started filming the movie! Fans look very happy, I can’t help it I feel a little jealous, I would have love to be there. :)

Daniel looks very happy too, he even talked in Japanese, I love his suit, very dashing!

David looks very tired, no wonder, it’s a very long travel from the UK to Japan!

Avatar Image says:

They look great and there are a lot of fans, it says they traveled from all Japan to attend the premiere.

Vanessa, I think UK, USA, France and Finland will have premieres this time. :) The travel to Japan is very long and exhausting, so every year some of the actors go, this year it was Dan’s turn. I agree with bunny, it’s a lot of pressure to go alone but we know Dan can deal with it! :)

Avatar Image says:

yes the UK premiere is on Tuesday. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I win the play.com competition for tickets.

Avatar Image says:

Good luck with the competition, anne! :)

I found a new video (delete spaces): http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-1272695,.html

Japanese fans are truly loud! :D

But it’s awesome to see fans from all the world being so excited with the HP and Dan!

Avatar Image says:

where were rupert and emma? and everyone else? did they not make it? i’d think at least rupert and emma would go.

p.s. dan’s shoes = yikes!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, nm. KJ answered my question!

Avatar Image says:

They didnt make it because it should have been in england!!! wiiiierd place to have the world premiere. lol man he looks like a dork. the biggest dork. ahh remember the days he was cute and 12. shame.

Avatar Image says:

Dan looks very sharp and very handsome in that suit. The press never fails to mention that in the press reports about the premiere – that Dan, wearing a WHITE suit, dazzles the fans. He dressed as a grown up, not as a teen – and boy, did he achieve the right effect. Not teen cover magazine material anymore. That white suit screams GQ not Teen vogue!

And Dan appearing alone in the world premiere seems to be enough for the fans and the press. He’s the lead after all and it would have been just extra expense to bring in the other cast when the press would just want to interview Dan.

Avatar Image says:

Get over yourself lotte. Big surprise a basher who doesn’t like something. lol

Daniel looks very handsome and obviously Japanese fans agree. Plus most of them are girls.

There will be one premiere in England too. Since the second movie, for each movie only one or two of the trio go to promote the movie in Japan. The travel is too long. Dan was the only one who has not been there since the first 2 movies were released, plus it was the world premiere. Previous years other actors went with the main actors, but Dan is so famous in Japan they don’t need secondary actors to go, it’s enough with him.

Avatar Image says:

Since I am studying abroad in Japan right now I got to go, and we managed to get tickets for the central standing area inside the red carpet! Does anyone know how I can submit photos here? I’ve got several which show details of the place, setup, and special effects better than some of the Getty Images ones (though they got better shots of Radcliffe and Heyman for sure.) Too bad a “world premiere” doesn’t actually involve getting to see the movie.

Avatar Image says:

Yes, you have to go to the “Contact Us” link, you can find it in the left part of the site, under “Leaky Info”. :) I would love to see your pics, I’ve read there were 2 big lights proyected into the sky.

I’m sorry Japanese fans have to week until day 20 to see the movie, but at least you have one of the few premieres! :)

Fans look very excited to see Dan after so many years, he is so hot, I wish they was a premiere in my country too!! ;)

Avatar Image says:

wow! dan looks rather..good? his shoes are a bit scary though, yes. lol. the suit looks nice. i wish rupert was there, he his my favorite. but him and emma are going to go to the spain premiere. (or is it frace?) i dont remember…anyway. dan looks very grown up. It’s really great that harry potter as turned into such a phenomenon all over the world!

Avatar Image says:

Here there is a video where David Heyman explains why the first premieres takes place in Japan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea458DzHx0Y&NR=1

There is also an interview with Dan, so handsome!

Avatar Image says:

What?! Why is the premire in Japan before the premire in England? This makes no sense at all!

Avatar Image says:

That pic of the 3 girls in the wigs is HILARIOUS!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Southernbarbarian (and any one else with pix from the premiere)—

You can send your photos to [email protected]

Dan looks wonderful here-the white suits him! ;)

Avatar Image says:

Hey, southernbarbarian, it sounds like Dan yelled out a “spell” and then he and David Heyman “disappeared” from the stage? Was that right? It sounds like they rose up from the stage amid the smoke and probably disappeared the same way, or did they just walk off the stage? You lucky bum, you, did you get an autograph?

Avatar Image says:

Holy c rap, he’s getting 50 million to do the last two films! Way to go, boy! Check out dailymail.co.uk!

Avatar Image says:

Dan looks great…I wish I could have been there! Can’t wait til it comes to my city!

Avatar Image says:

I just saw the movie!!!!! Yesterday Myspace had a special showing for myspace fans. It only showed in about 8 theatres around the country, so I was amazed that I got a ticket. We stood in line for 7 hours, but it was worth it. Everything you have heard about this is true. It is really the best movie by far. I won’t spoil it for you all, but this one did have more script from the book than any of the others. Yes, there wasn’t some of my favorite parts in there, but the movie really got into the heart of the book. The ending of the last one really left me upset that they cut the last important chapters out. This one, while it was still too short, didn’t leave out the emotion between Harry and Sirius and Harry and Dumbledore. And Ginny looked fantastic, her role was very understated, but the fans will really appreciate the nuances between her and Harry. And the ending included everything that was important to include. (I don’t want to say to much here) I’m just so happy that I got to see it. I’m taking about 100 kids to see the midnight show and I can’t wait to see it again. POTTER ROCKS!!!

Avatar Image says:

there’s something in the London Evening Standard “Harry and the Potter of Gold” about the premiere and Dan’s £25 deal for the last two movies. I didn’t get a chance to read it though (over someone’s shoulder on the train home, lol). Unfortunately not on This is London website yet (which is the Standard’s web version I think??).

there’s a review in the Telegraph (better than the Times one) too.

Avatar Image says:

I forgot to say I like the suit (even the shoes!). It suits the occasion, considering the Japanese fans dressed up too! Only Dan could carry that off!

Avatar Image says:

oh, and there’s a new article/interview about the Trio in Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/06/29/nosplit/bfpotter129.xml

and a review of premiere in the Guardian, scans on danradcliffe.com

Avatar Image says:

“There’s a lovely article in the dailymail.co.uk verrry complimentary to Dan, saying he is aeons ahead in sophistication compared to umm, other people lol. Go under femail or TV and showbiz.”

Thanks for the tip. Very sharp observation about the two boys. The redheaded tot was even described as just loping beside Dan. lol. Dan’s sophistication was apparent even during the GOF premiere and that was two years ago. This white suit just topped my list of best formal suit Dan’s ever worn. Very dashing and very ‘miami vice’.

Avatar Image says:

If the $50 million talent fee is true then may I respectfuly say that DANIEL RADCLIFFE IS WORTH IT ! Whoot! Onscreen and offscreen, Dan is a goldmine. Just look at him in that white suit. Step aside Tom Cruise and Brad PItt. Holywood’s next greatest leading man is here. Pity that he’s not taller but Dan doesn’t want to be a Stallone action figure anyway so I’m fine on that quarter.

Avatar Image says:

Stallone actually isn’t much taller. 5 ft 8 in, or something.

Avatar Image says:

That’s true. Stallone is not realy that tall. For that matter, neither are Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. Tom is only 5’7” and Pitt is 5’10”. Movie magic can make a person look taller so if Dan wants action films later, why not? He’d be so believable in it. Those cricket pics of his that the Dan sites refused to post are just fantastic.

Avatar Image says:

No, no, no, Dan! Pale white English boys should never wear white suits! The black pinstripe with the red shirt looked better! Anyway, now that I’ve finished the fashion report, I’m really looking forward to July 13(I can’t go on the 11th because I work the next day).

Avatar Image says:

Does someone know wich japanese famous attended?

Avatar Image says:

iamminerva: the suit is not all white. The pale blue undershirt complements the outfit and provides just a touch of color. Besides, Dan’s not too pale anymore. Must be that little tan he got for playing cricket. lol. (Bless him, the acne’s gone too) All in all, Dan looks magnificent and the press reports are right that he dazzled the Japan fans.

Avatar Image says:

It was really cool, I went and checked it out. Didn’t have tickets though so I was pretty far away :( But got some photos! At the end of the show they had this massive light that went right up into the sky and lit up the whole Roppongi Hills building. It was still on when I got home, I could see it from my roof. I think it was supposed to be a Patronus but it looked more like the Bat Signal. But still cool!

Morgana: There weren’t many Japanese celebs there, I saw Kyoko Fukada but most of the guests were pretty Z-Grade, even the Japanese people next to me didn’t know who they were. No KAT-TUN or anyone like that! :(

Avatar ImageWON_TWO says: Very nice...

Write a Reply or Comment