LIVE Webstream of JKR Midnight Reading on July 21st, Live WebChat to Follow

113

Jul 13, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

UK publisher Bloomsbury has announced that the reading of the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by author J. K. Rowling taking place at the Natural History Museum will be streamed LIVE online via the Bloomsbury website at midnight on July 21st.

Bloomsbury Publishing is delighted to announce that now everyone will be able to hear J K Rowling read from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in a live webstream from the Natural History Museum in London at the precise moment it is published – 12.01am BST on Saturday 21st July 2007.

Ten years after publication of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone the publication of this, the final book in the series, returns to where it all began: with a book, the author and her readers.

The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows launch event is completely oversubscribed and no further tickets will be issued but Bloomsbury encourages fans to log on to the webstream to join in the experience. The streaming will be available for a further two weeks at www.bloomsbury.com.

The publisher also announced a live web chat with J. K. Rowling to be held the following week on July 30th from 2-3.00pm BST. Fans may submit their questions via the Bloomsbury site beginning one week before the event, or during the live webcast.

77 Responses to LIVE Webstream of JKR Midnight Reading on July 21st, Live WebChat to Follow

Avatar Image says:

isnt it fantastic!!! any unanswered book 7 questions answered a week later!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be too busy reading the book myself!

Avatar Image says:

Is that streaming at midnight everywhere or just midnight in Britain. Cause if it’s Britain, that’s giving us (well, if you live in my time zone – Toronto-ish) a 5 hour early preview of the book! She’d be reading it Midnight there, but it would be 7pm here…

Avatar Image says:

Is she reading chapter 1? Cause I don’t want to listen unless its from the beginning of the book

Avatar Image says:

Maven Cree-where are you? im confused-it is british time though. If your in america do you get it at 12:01 british time or do you have to wait until 12:01 american time? if so thats really awful!! ill be finished the book before you even get it!! soo unfair!

Avatar Image says:

So glad i have Windows Media Recorder on my computer. Leaky will have this as soon as it is finished I reckon.

Avatar Image says:

I will be in London at midnight July 21st. So I can’t hear the webcast. Oh well, I will have the book in my hands soon after midnight July 21st, I hope! :)

Avatar Image says:

AHHH! YAY! Now all of us can truly be there!!! so excited!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m in Hamilton Ontario Canada. Other side of thelake from Toronto. We’re 5 hours behind BST. So if she’s reading it BST we get to hear it 5 hours before the book comes out here.

I’m torn. I don’t know. Do I listen, or do I wait. If she’s reading from the begining, i might listen. I hope TLC keeps a copy for us to listen to later though, or to download.

You’re going to finish it in 5 hours?! Not me. I’m going to stretch it out and savour every second. I won’t stop reading it, I’ll just take time to absorb every image, every joke, every everything. Last time we’ll get to. No time for speed reading.

Avatar Image says:

Maven, that was my same concern. This means full media lockdown, I suppose

Avatar Image says:

Yea im reviewing the book so ill be speed-reading…then sleeping…then re-reading slowly!! I too will miss the reading because of being in London but i cant wait for the webchat!!

Avatar Image says:

is TLC going to have a video of this in their archives? could someone let me know, email perhaps?

thanks

Avatar Image says:

I’ll already be waiting in the queue for book 7 at this point, but the reading sounds amazing. I’ll definitely have to watch the video at a later date (I mean, I am sure they’ll have some video at a later point.)

But the web chat the following is a brilliant idea! I’ll definitely be watching that, even if it happens to be when I am work, EST.

Avatar Image says:

YEAH! However, is that midnight Britain, or elsewhere? Living in the Pacific Northwest, that would be four or five o’clock for me! I wonder what chapter she’ll read…she usually does one from the beginning.

Avatar Image says:

Courtney yes its british midnight. Yea last time it was from the Joke Shop-Dracos Detour chapter! I hope she reads from chapter 1-anywhere else wont make complete sense surely….

Avatar Image says:

Oh my! I will be out and about Potter-partying but that would be GREAT! But I am so nervous!!! Hearing Jo read would be safe (although I wonder about the BST vs EDT time difference). But For the chat I would be afraid something would slip past the mods and someone would spoil the ending. I am so nervous about being spoiled I may not get on the web until I am done with the book.

Avatar Image says:

OH Good!!! I read down further! The chat is days later! Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

For the timezone impaired, here’s when the chat will occur for those of us in The New World:

Eastern:7:01 pm Central: 6:01 pm Mountain: 5:01 pm Pacific: 4:01 pm

Avatar Image says:

This is awesome. I’m not going to go to get my book until morning, because the closest night-selling place is 100km from my home and the selling starts there at 2am because of the time difference. So I’ll be hearing one of the chapters well before I get the book. I really hope she will read the first chapter.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t wait for the new book that I will probaly be so busy reading that I wont’t have time to watch the webcstream. I so wish I got tickets to see it. Only if i lived in Britain that would be INCREDIBLE.

Avatar Image says:

yay, I love the chat idea. do we get to chat with her or summit questions? I want to know every detail about this chat thing. jumps around

Avatar Image says:

Fabulous! I’ll be listening!

Avatar Image says:

Re: whether she will read from the first chapter or not:

When the last book came out, she also did a reading, from Edinburgh. My recollection is that she had PLANNED to read from the first chapter (“The Other Minister”), but the London train bombing had just happened a few days before. She said it wouldn’t be appropriate to read from chapter 1, because it dealt with unexplained tragedies and occurances taking place in Britain which the muggles could not explain. So that’s why she read from the Joke Shop section instead.

Avatar Image says:

Luna-we submit questions from the 23rd july i believe and even on the day. Not a direct “chat” more a Q&A session!! Clearing up unresolved issues and questions that we have from DH!

Avatar Image says:

That’s VERY EXCITING and VERY DEPRESSING at the same time. Since I live in NYC, I won’t be able to get my copy of DH for another 5 hours and I don’t want to know anything about it before then!!! I plan on having NO HUMAN CONTACT until I’ve finished the book. I’ve warned all my friends about spoiling it for me and I’m turning off my computer, radio, and TV.

Thanks Bloomsbury for keeping JKR’s reading available for awhile…can’t wait to hear it!!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! Glad to read that the reading will be available on Bloomsbury for two weeks after the actual date. I was worried about hearing something from the book before I have my own copy.

Avatar Image says:

omg omg omg woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

does she only read one chapter??

Avatar Image says:

I hope they have lots AND LOTS! of bandwidth or it could be the biggest log-jam incident in the history of the internet! :D

Avatar Image says:

Cool! Imlad it will be aailable later! i wont be able to watch at that timeas i’ll be queuing!!

bob- she may just read part of a chapter. This is what she did last time- she read the part when everyone was in the weaslies shop.

Avatar Image says:

I will definitely be watching this webstream!

I read this amusing article on us so-called “Potter-Heads” I thought was worth sharing.

Avatar Image says:

Yey! I can’t go to any live events but now I’ll have something to do at midnight:D So I’m definitely gonna be watching this webstream!:D

Avatar Image says:

Yes! I’m going to be aat a book party at that moment but I’m sure I could get it on my labtop or my psp I just hope that they are prepared for the mega traffic they are going to get on that site.

Avatar Image says:

This is so extraordinarily generous and fantastic!

Avatar Image says:

No. Please, please not!!! I was planning to sleep loooong that night, because I’ll be reading late into the next one! In Germany I get my copy only at 9 a.m. anyway.

Ahh, the temptation!

OMG!!! Squeeeeee!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I certainly will be listening. So glad the book will be on CD immediately…I’m making a special trip just to listen…ain’t life grand…BTW I just will not accept Harry not being around…no death for this boy…OK JKR? Make me happy…please.

Avatar Image says:

listen for us in the states if it is webcasted at 1201am on the 21 of july we will be able to liten some time on the 20th (depending on the time zon e) for me in hawaii it will happen I think at 13:01 on the 20th (hawaii standard time). because we are 11 hours behind ( I know because i have to watch the live brodcast of the tour de france at 4:00 in the bloody morn)

soory about the multi posts my browser locked up :1

Avatar Image says:

wow this is soo cool. Only problem is I’ll be rushing through the doors of my local book sellers at the time. Here’s hoping some kind person records it and puts it online ASAP!

Avatar Image says:

Midnight BST …. yahoooooo …. that’s early evening for us on the east coast …

Looks like the laptop is going to go to the party with me.

Avatar Image says:

i can’t believe its only a week away. this is great!!!! It feels like yesterday when I was looking at the counter thinking “Ahh! 3 months! Thats so far away!”

Avatar Image says:

Thanks, gnocchi, for posting those times! I was going to check, but now I don’t have to.

I’m not sure if I’m going to watch. I’d really like to, because it’s Jo reading from the last book. At the same time I don’t want to be spoiled at all. Not that I expect Jo to pick a chapter that’s the key to the whole series, but I want to be cautious.

Maybe I’ll record it somehow.

Avatar Image says:

man oh man oh man! so its get your book or watch the feed live? who does that? so torn between running home and watching the rest of the feed and reading the book then watching the repeat. . . such worries in life, may these big our greatest!

Avatar Image says:

gnocchi, thanks so much for helping us timezone impaired! I was coming on the comments to ask what time this would be in the US.

I will be viewing on my computer for sure. I can’t make it to any of the Potter events, but this is one I won’t have to miss! I’ve never heard Jo read in person, but this will be the next best thing I suppose.

Avatar Image says:

It was very kind of Bloomsbury to let fans around the world join in this historic (for the fandom, at least, that is) event! I don’t know yet whether I will join in – I may have already left home to attend a midnight party by that time, even though I live in the states! Does anyone know which chapter she will be reading from?

Avatar Image says:

Ohh I hope they have the internet in my holiday villa, I’m going away on the 27th >_<

Avatar Image says:

Woo. This means I can listen in at around 7. Works for me. =)

Avatar Image says:

So What time is it going to be on in EST time zone? I’m confused! Please help!

It’d be 7 PM EST.

Avatar Image says:

In the article it says the streaming will be available for a further two weeks at bloomsbury.com. Thats good news!

cool!

Avatar Image says:

i think I am going to listen in. I am not sure how long it will take her to read the first chapter, but I figure I can listen to the reading, get a good nap in, go get the book at midnight EST, and then read until I fall asleep. what a beautiful night! i won’t feel like i am cheating if I hear jo read it live! i consider it an opportunity not to miss. and then i can torture myself with anticipation until midnight. nice…

Avatar Image says:

I want and need more information on this before I decide if it is safe or not and I also have to consider the time zones

Avatar Image says:

i’m going to a midnight release party here in england so i’ll miss the webcast! booooo! hopefully someone will upload it on youtube or something.

Avatar Image says:

Hi! What I’m hoping will happen is that someone will have a laptop present at Borders and will show Jo’s reading for us all to enjoy! I can’t imagine such a huge thing not being broadcast throughout the stores hosting the HP parties! I am way too excited!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

that’s 6:00pm in missouri if you go to this website then it converts london time to your timezone!!! http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

sry for the double post

Avatar Image says:

does anyone know the direct link to the site? i mean the broadcast????

Avatar Image says:

This is the best news I’ve heard in quite a number of weeks. Since the dragon picture, anyway.

Now I’ve got to decide. What do I do? If it’s midnight London, that’s 8 p.m. on the US East Coast, right? That’s probably the time frame that I have to be at the bookstore in order to get a low numbered wristband and therefore not have to wait till 1:30 to get my book like last time. So, I have three choices. I can stay home and watch it online and not worry about what time I actually get my book. I can take my laptop with me and see if I can connect and watch it online after picking up my wristband. I know Panera Bread, across the street from the bookstore, has free wifi, and the bookstore may, as well. Or I can just go get my book and watch the streaming book reading later.

My biggest concern is, what chapter will she read? Last time, she read from chapter 6 or something. I’d kind of like to read the book in order, but is it worth it to hear her read it even if she doesn’t read the very beginning of the book.

Avatar Image says:

Just remember—this will take place on Friday, July 20th for those of us in the New World! 7pm EDT, 4pm PDT.

Avatar Image says:

So now I REALLY have to cut myself off from the internet as it will only be 7pm here in New York and we won’t be getting it for another 5 hours :p

Avatar Image says:

I’ll be at the Scholastic party, but it would be so exciting to listen to Jo reading it the moment it goes on sale in Britain. Maybe they will be broadcasting it at the party – or maybe I’ll find a quiet corner and try to get it on my iPhone, if I can find a WiFi connection.

Avatar Image says:

YES! Just like with Half Blood Prince! I’m SO excited for this!

Avatar Image says:

I would like a big screen in front of the museum also, so people could listen and watch outside the building.

Avatar Image says:

It may be the last (or first) time we EVER hear her read from the books. Even if I have the book at home, Im going to tune in. This is such a special time for all of us HP fans and I want to experince as much as I can of it before it ends. Thank God we will have Pottercast to sustain us for another year or so.

Avatar Image says:

Heheh a lovely, respectable 8:31 am Australian CST! I’ll be at the bookshop, but the article says we can see it for two weeks afterwards, so when my brother has the book i’ll tune in!!! Yay!!! It does seem kinda pointless to have a live stream when most people (those who care about it enough to watch, anyway) will be at the bookshop… but hey.

Avatar Image says:

yay! that’s col, because I wont get the book until 11 in the morning, or rather 12 BST, because they dont have midnight release here :’( Fran

Avatar Image says:

please does any body know what time is it going to be here in egypt? please if u know any thing answer. any one from leaky heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

OK,

So It will be on here ( EST time zone ) at 7:00 pm? it will be an hour an a half before I leave to get my book! how exciting! * what is the link to the reading also? Please let me know!*

OK,

So It will be on here ( EST time zone ) at 7:00 pm? it will be an hour an a half before I leave to get my book! how exciting! what is the link to the reading also? Please let me know!

Sorry for the comment above^^ Did something weird.

Avatar Image says:

zizo.. you are probably about 1 or 2 hours ahead of England aren’t you? I know on the east coast of the US we are 5 hours behind. You should be able to find out. Just leave it on Bloomsbury site at 10p.m. your time. Good luck!

Avatar Image says:

zizo, make that 2a.m. your time. sorry.

Avatar Image says:

I am so conflicted about whether to watch the webcast live or wait ‘till later after I’ve gotten my book and read a few chapters. Since I’m in the western part of the U.S., the webcast will be 8 hours before I can get the book. Of course I’m sure that Jo wouldn’t spoil us for anything major happening in the book. However, if I do watch it live, I will have to be sure to not look at anything else online at that time – including the comments on Leaky – as people in some parts of the world will be getting their books by then (I guess my time zone will be one of the last few to get the book) I wouldn’t want to be spoiled by someone online getting the book and flipping to the back and then posting ANYTHING that happens.

Avatar Image says:

I remember Rowling reading from book 5, that was so funny. Rowling taking umbridge’s voice, that was priceless !! And Mac Gonnagal yelling after umbridge. lol ! But, if someone recorded this one, i can’t find it. I’m still cursing myself for not recording at least the audio, I know how to do that !

morty kine, just in case, there is a one hour shift between UK and France ;)

Avatar Image says:

thank you so much Debbie. thanksssssssss

Avatar Image says:

Where can I register to listen to the midnight reading online? I can’t find it anywhere. I looked where I thought I needed to, and it wasn’t there. HELP!

Steve