Jim Dale Featured In New Interviews

351

Jul 16, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Jim Dale, narrator of the US audio book editions of the Harry Potter novels, is the subject of two new articles now online. The first comes from the Minneapolis Star Tribune, where Mr. Dale is discusses the countless voices he has created for the many characters in J. K. Rowling’s series, the way he approaches the work and the recognition he has gotten from fans of all ages. Here is an excerpt from the article’s Q and A:

Q: What do you think about the acclaim this new role has brought to you?

A: It’s amazing that … every time I open my mouth in public now, it seems that one or two of the children present are ardent listeners to the Harry Potter books. So much so that one of them, when I was in McDonald’s, heard me talking to my grandson. A look of amazement came on his face and he and his friend came up to me and said, “Are you the guy who does the audio books?” and they were “gobsmacked,” as they said. One of them said, “Could you order my hamburger as Dumbledore, please?” and the other one said, “And can you order my French fries as Dobby?” and so I did that, and they were absolutely thrilled.

The second article comes from the Charlotte Observer, which features Mr. Dale speaking more on the specific voices he uses, along with the inspiration he found for them. Mr. Dale notes in the article that the voice of ‘Hagrid’ comes from an uncle and an aunt provided the inspiration for ‘Professor McGonagall.’

Mr. Dale concludes in the article by describing the recording of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows as a ‘bittersweet experience.’ Adding:

“At the same time, there are other books out there, and we’re hoping—through my popularity—to encourage others to follow me and listen to other classic books.”

The Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows audio books will be released along with the novels on July 21st.

Thanks to Christine!

20 Responses to Jim Dale Featured In New Interviews

Avatar Image says:

Aww man, I wish I could have Jim Dale order me a milkshake as Mrs. Figg =)

Avatar Image says:

“Order my hamburger as Dumbledore”! Haha! I love it!

Avatar Image says:

Kind of odd that the US book is 21 hours and the UK is 24 hours…Stephen Fry must read slower…

Avatar Image says:

Not “can I have your autograph?” but Will you order my food?” as a character you voice in my favorite book. How wonderful!

I listen to audio books while I do my job (I am the only employee) and I had seen the first three HP movies, but never read one of the books. My wife suggested that the HP books were available in audio form and so my experience for the first five books were all from Jim Dale. I actually read HBP because I couldn’t find the audio book at the time. And I kept wondering what voice Jim Dale would use for the new characters.

Then I started reading the series to my son. I used the Jim Dale school of voices to read with. I only changed Luna’s voice, which I think Jim does a bit too low.

I don’t know how he reads some of that stuff with a clear voice. I get choked up reading the more emotional passages. I will be reading DH to my son as is now our tradition. It will be VERY hard, I’m sure.

Avatar Image says:

Ah I love love LOVE Jim Dale! I’m actually listening to him this very second. :-)

Blimey, I wish he could have ordered my soda as Voldemort…

Avatar Image says:

that is so sweet of him! ...he’s gonna get that where ever he goes now, I hope he knows that! hahaha.

I want chicken nuggets in the voice of Ron please! :D

Avatar Image says:

What a wonderful compliment for Jim Dale! Children recognizing his voice!!!! Having read the first 4 books with the audiobooks with my children, when I read the books now, I hear Jim Dale’s voice in my head as I read! I once asked my children if they did the same, and they told me they do!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hahahahahahahahhahahahaha that was funny about the kids asking him to order their food in Dumbledore’s and Dobby’s voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rolls on the floor with laughter

Avatar Image says:

Oh! I want him to do a “hem-hem” like Umbridge at the cashier and order me some fast food in an Umbridge voice! HAHAHAHA! That would be deliciously evil!

Avatar Image says:

Aw, that’s so nice of him to do that! I wonder what the McDonald’s workers thought of him doing different voices to order with, lol. I’m glad commenting is still allowed here, and lot of other sites have it turned off.

Avatar Image says:

Its laughable and frankly sad that the US market has to endure a plainly inferior audio recording compared to the authorised Stephen Fry versions.

Why ?

I agree with M Jones…Jim Dale’s version pale in comparison to Stephen Fry

Avatar Image says:

Aww! That’s so sweet! Ordering food at McDonalds in the character voices…I’d proabably request a Dumbledore order too! :) He sounds so kind.

Avatar Image says:

I love Jim’s version of the audiobooks, he has a wondeful voice!

Avatar Image says:

This is of-topic, I know, but somebody pleeeease hurry up and answer me this, because I suddenly suddenly got confused. Is DH coming out the night between friday and saturday og the night between saturday and sunday? (I’m in Denmark, Europe, only one timezone away from UK, so the dateline is not a matter here) I tought it was between saturday and sunday, but a range of danish stores is advertising it as on sale from saturday in the daytime. Please enlighten me here, as you all probalbly understand, I REALLY need to know!

Avatar Image says:

@ Gry—it’s coming out between Friday night and Saturday morning. So you’ll line up in the bookstores Friday night, and at midnight you’ll get your book, and it will techniqually be Saturday!

Avatar Image says:

Oh, dear. That’s one day sooner than I expected! Christmas has really come early this year! Thank you, Becky! Now I won’t be tormenting on innocent people on busses asking where they got the book so soon.

Avatar Image says:

M Jones & Nino – I think it’s just what you are used to. I have listened to both Jim Dale and Stephen Fry for many of the books, but I prefer Jim Dale. I think the reason is that I listened to his versions before Stephen Fry, so for me Jim Dale’s character voices are what I hear when I read the books to myself. (and even when I watch the movies for that matter) I would guess that had I listened to Stephen Fry first, I would prefer his versions.

On friday we can all listen to the versions we prefer!!! YEA!!!

Avatar Image says:

Hey, MJones—I think it’s laughable and frankly sad that your boyfriend has to endure a plainly inferior sexual experience whenever he goes to bed with you. Shut your patronizing piehole about things you don’t understand.

Avatar Image says: ybzlxoraobdwyopewell, hi admin adn people nice forum indeed. how's life? hope it's introduce branch ;)

Write a Reply or Comment