John Williams to Score “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Film?

121

Aug 23, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There are reports online today stating that legendary composer John Williams would like to return to the Harry Potter films, and hopes to provide the score for the film version of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. These reports stem from a recent appearance at The Berkshire Museum, where Mr. Williams gave a special lecture. Reports via FilmScore monthly and JWFan.com say Mr. Williams was asked about returning to the series for which he provided the first three scores (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), and John Williams is quoted as saying “with confidence that he thinks he will be back for the last and then added that he hopes he is.”

While not yet officially confirmed, Nicholas Hooper is widely rumored to be returning to score Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which is due to begin filming next month and is due in theaters November of 2008. Previously Harry Potter producer David Heyman announced a 2010 release for the film of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, however no director for this film has yet been announced, let alone a composer. Please note while this may be exciting news for the many John Williams fans, please keep this as a rumor until official confirmation is provided.

Thanks very much to JWFan.com and FilmScore Monthly!

98 Responses to John Williams to Score “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” Film?

Avatar Image says:

I’d like to see Chris Columbus return as well—he found it hard to leave stuff out of the films, unlike others…

Avatar Image says:

This would be incredible. While I like the other scores, they seem pale in comparison to the work the Williams has done. It would be a great way to wrap up the series.

Avatar Image says:

Wow! I hope it’s true. He’s an amazing composer. (And it would be great if peter jackson or david yates could direct film 7…or mike newell. just not cuaron. and they’d better get a decent scriptwriter who doesn’t mangle up the book).

Avatar Image says:

I’d be happy if Michael Goldman who wrote the script for Order of the Phoenix would write the last two scripts. The man is a freakn’ genius. If he didn’t put things into that movie he at least hinted – so if you knew the book you KNEW the thing Kreature was about to polish was the painting of Mrs Black and if you didn’t know the book, it was no big deal. I want Goldman to write the last two scripts so badly! And for Williams to do the last two soundtracks – that would be heaven!

Avatar Image says:

While I recognize John Williams is brillant, he also has an annoying habit of ‘swelling’ the music so that it overshadows and drowns out the dialogue…he did it in Star Wars as well as the early HP films. Sorry, i like listening to the dialogue more than the music

Avatar Image says:

Oh no!!!! I always felt Harry Potter came way down his list of important projects. One wonders if Speilberg comes up with a project that clashes with Harry, Harry will come a poor 2nd. Why is it that people who left the HP films seem to think they have a right to jump back on the band wagon when it’s in the final countdown!

Avatar Image says:

Funny. I was just thinking ‘I wish John Williams would be back to score the last film!’

Avatar Image says:

you’re right alice. Michael Goldman is a genius. The way he made hints at things pleased the fans and made it not long and boring for the non-fans. OotP was amzazing.

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is true! John Williams writes the best music. I was sad to hear John Williams wasn’t writing the music after Azkaban, the first three still have the best music!

Avatar Image says:

Yes, it would be great if Williams and Columbus returned for the last one. It would be worth it just for “The Battle of Hogwarts” scene. Can’t you just imagine!

Avatar Image says:

Ooh, I hope so. I found much to like in Patrick Doyle’s and Nicholas Hooper’s work on films 4 and 5 (“Neville’s Waltz” and “The Quidditch World Cup” on GoF, “Dumbledore’s Army” and “The Ministry of Magic” on OotP), but for me they still never hit the heights of Williams, whose Prisoner of Azkaban score is one of the best of the last decade, and more than redeemed his somewhat OTT and sugary approach to the first two films…Deathly Hallows needs an epic, stirring and emotional score, and pieces like “Buckbeak’s Flight” and “A Window to the Past” convince me that John Williams is the only man to do it. Here’s hoping!

Avatar Image says:

Columbus?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I’m sorry, I mean he was great when the stories were about little children, but his style’s WAY too saccharine/disney-like for Deathly Hallows! Williams however is a completely different story, would love to see him return for the final film, so I hope this rumor’s true! JWFan is a great source so I’m going to choose to believe it, for now ^^

Avatar Image says:

Yes! Love John Williams! He has composed the best and most memorable movie scores!

Avatar Image says:

While I would like to see Williams return as a composer for DH, I don’t want to see Columbus return as director; the first two he directed were enough and would like to see Yates return for DH.

Avatar Image says:

the reason Columbus didn’t leave a lot out was because BOOKS 1 AND 2 WERE A LOT SHORTER! And with that said, it is very sad to see the Columbus couldn’t do more with those movies—- they were very pedestrian. I still like them, but the other movies are much better.

Avatar Image says:

Haha I remember when I finished Deathly Hallows I thought “John Williams! Come Back!” Although I respect the jobs Doyle and Hooper did (Hooper did such an amazing job I even preferred it over the first two), Prisoner of Azkaban had the best score in the HP series, and we need a soundtrack that powerful for DH (In the Forbidden Forest scene, I had “window to the past” playing in my head). I really hope he comes back, and I will be slightly disappointed if he doesn’t (though not too disappointed. I can’t forget that when Dung said “looks like a toad” the theme “Professor Umbridge” started playing in my head), but hopefully he will make a return and it will be a grand finale.

Avatar Image says:

Amy S.: I respect your opinion on Columbus, and the last thing I want to do is start another discussion of him, especially at this stage of the game, but I have to say that he really can do justice to a lot more serious material than films with small children. Have you seen Rent? That’s pretty rough stuff indeed, and he was praised consistently for it, even among very tough critics like Scott at the New York Times, who can be outright devastating if he doesn’t like something. He praised it in no uncertain terms. So please don’t sell Chris Columbus short—he’s an extremely successful director in a notoriously tough business.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always wanted Columbus to return simply because I wanted the series to have that bookend, coming full circle-ness to it, but after reading ‘Deathly Hallows’ I kinda want – but most likely won’t get – this: Alfonso Cuaron to direct, Steve Kloves AND Michael Goldenberg to script it, and John Williams to score it utilizing all the scores from the previous six films, including stuff from Doyle and Hooper.

I mean, how awesome would it be to here a different arrangement of “Dumbledore’s Army” the moment Harry, Ron, and Hermione step into the Room of Requirement near the end. Or, hearing the end pieces to the first two films at the end of this one, the epilogue.

Wow. That’s be awesome. I guess we gotta wait and see.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams soundtracks are the best! I won’t lay odds on the director, but I know I would like to see John Williams finish out the series by doing the final soundtrack. I have all of the soundtracks, but COS is always the one I come back to.

Avatar Image says:

I would love to have John Williams do the music, he is awesome!

No Columbus back, he is to much of a family-movie-maker. Too much aa feel-good-guy. :P

Avatar Image says:

I’m sorry to comment twice but I just had to say that I heartily agree with mike.

Avatar Image says:

I love the soundtrack for ootp, I hope Nicholas Hooper will stay for HPB and DH too. His music is very sensitive and supports the story briliantly.

Avatar Image says:

The music for the first three movies was simple magical, don’t get me wrong, but i just feel in love with the music in OotP. I hope Hooper returns for HBP and DH, but I wouldn’t be too disappointed if Williams gets DH. :D

PS. Chris Columbus for DH? HELL NO! :D

Avatar Image says:

Ugh. I loved the soundtrack to OotP and would much rather see Nicholas Hooper continue with the music.

Avatar Image says:

I’d LOVE it if Mr. Williams came back, though Nicholas Hooper did a pretty good job with OotP. John Williams makes the best themes. Very memorable, hence “Hedwig’s Theme.”

Avatar Image says:

That would be outstandingly amazing.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams should have scored the Order of the Phoenix because Nicholas Hooper sucked. His score was completely boring and had no magic in it. I think the original screenwriter should come back because he never left out quidditch or other important events to the plot. I also think that Alfonso Cuaron should direct the last movie because The Prizoner of Azkaban was by far the best movie. You guys are just hating because he’s Mexican.

Avatar Image says:

Columbus and Williams back for seven? I would pay in order to avoid seeing this movie. Luckily there is little chance of that happening. Why would they regress this late in the series?

Avatar Image says:

According to my impeccable sources, Michael Gambon will be the director for HP7, with Chris Columbus playing Dumbledore.

Avatar Image says:

Agree that Chris Columbus comig back would be a step backwards. Alfonso Cuaron is the way to go, we need that dream-like quality back.

As for the score, I can’t remember the score of OOTP—that’s why the next film needs a different composer.

“Have you seen Rent?”

Rent was EXTREMELY a “Hollywood” movie and felt like it. It didn’t feel real or gritty at all…Columbus just isn’t great with that sort of material. The last thing we need for Deathly Hallows is the director who considered these to be “kids films” to return.

As for Williams….although his PoA score was an improvement, I’m not a fan of how he likes to make the music WAY too present and over-the-top. I like a more subtle score.

Avatar Image says:

YAY! THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Avatar Image says:

nooo! while i love william’s music in general…i’ve been noticing more and more that all of his themes seem to run together. i was picking out star wars in the middle of harry potter! hedwig’s theme was great, but hooper’s full soundtrack for OotP was amazing. everytime i hear “flight of the order of the phoenix” i am moved. he better get HBP!

Avatar Image says:

as for directors…Yates all the way! (or at least for HPB) I also think tim burton would be cool. if columbus comes back i’d consider not watching…don’t want any more stupid talking shrunken heads!

OMG PLEASE COME BACK JOHN WILLIAMS

Avatar Image says:

Wow, I never thought I’d be torn bu I love Hooper’s score but I also love the brilliance of JW. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that JW is the greatest film composer alive today but to be fair he has scored so many great films and with such diversity. So I am inclined for Hooper or even someone new to do the next movie. What has worked so well with this series is the refreshing changes in direction and scoring with each film.

Avatar Image says:

Rae, Yates is coming back for HBP.

Avatar Image says:

It would be spectacular if Mr. Williams returned to this franchise. Although both Patrick Doyle and Nicolas Hooper infused their respective films with unforgettable themes and notable musical artistry, there is just something they lack that John possesses – a certain charm. I can only hope that if he does contribute musically to the final film, he does something like his work on Prisoner of Azkaban – something incredibly unique and not dull and tedious, as was the case with the first two soundtracks. And hopefully he’s no longer dependent on themes from Home Alone and Star Wars either. ;)

Avatar Image says:

Another problem with Chris Columbus is that he ISN´T a very good “actors director”...And for us who´ve read DH…We know that that are some pretty powerful scenes in DH (Malfoy Manor)

Avatar Image says:

It would be great if John Williams came back for Deathly Hallows.. I hope he’s prepared!

I’ve seen a few comments of Columbus back for film 7? Uh, no thanks… he had his shot and I think DH will have to be more artistic.

Avatar Image says:

i love john williams’s music…

idk who id want to come back for the directing… but probably not Chris Columbus…. i didnt much care for SS… or CoS for that matter.

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

While I enjoy John Williams work. I find him to be very overrated.

My choice for a composer for DH is THE MAESTRO. Ennio Morricone. The scores he made for the films of Sergio Leone like “The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly”, “Once Upon A Time in the West”, and “Once Upon a Time in America” along with classic film scores for Terrence Malick’s “Days of Heaven”, Roland Joffe’s “The Mission”, and “Cinema Paradiso” alone make him the greatest.

Columbus is a good director but he’s not the guy who can bring out dark material. He’s too Hollywood. I suggest getting Guillermo del Toro. He will bring out a 3-4 hour plus film with cool effects, battle sequences, and everything.

Avatar Image says:

i think it sounds great, but i think what will really end up happening is david yates will finish out the series and keep hooper. although i would love to see williams and columbus come back!

Avatar Image says:

I hope not, I really liked what Nicholas Hooper did for OotP.

Avatar Image says:

I agree with several on here that Hooper should stay on for the last movies. I liked John Williams’ score for the first three, but there was something to the score for OotP that just made me squee my socks off. And I usually don’t squee for movie scores. I would also want to see (ahem, scratch that) NEED to see Goldenberg and not Kloves back for the last one.

Avatar Image says:

I actually thought Nicholas Hooper was a better choice for the Harry Potter films than John Williams… other than Hedwig’s Theme nothing that Williams has done in the previous movies sticks out to me. But with Hooper Umbridge’s Theme and Fireworks just pop out and made the movie. I’m a bit sad if Williams decides to come back… as great as the man as he is I really loved Hopper.

As for Columbus… I’m not a fan of the first two movies and would NOT want to see him back. I don’t think I could handle a tamed version of DH. I’d cry. I would love to see Alfonso Cuaron return because POA is my favorite film. And of course I’d want him teamed with Michael Goldman… can you imagine how amazing DH would be! Although I wouldn’t mind seeing Tim Burton’s version of DH… he he he… he’s the one Director I always wished had done the films because of his artistic vision.

Avatar Image says:

Yes! Bring back John Williams for number 7!!

Avatar Image says:

I was thinking the same thing about Tim Burton. The darkness of the last two book would go with his weirdness. And all of these people that are all over David Yates’ and Hooper’s nuts, we must have been watching a different movie. The first half of OotP dragged, and all I remember from Hooper was his poor transitions from scene to scene. There was never a break from his melodramatic music. The only theme that stood out was when Harry and Mr. Weasley went into the Ministry of Magic, and also maybe when the twins made their grand departure. John Williams knows what he’s doing. I must admit that the first two movies had music that was a little too uplifting, but the Prisoner of Azkaban was a great score. Maybe they could get Hans Zimmer to make a badass score if they can’t get Williams.

Avatar Image says:

Steven Flores: Morricone for Potter? Would that work? Without doubt he’s an outstanding composer, and I know there are more strings to his bow than just his iconic Spaghetti Western stuff (his score for John Carpenter’s The Thing took me by surprise), but nevertheless, he’s quite a sombre and intellectual composer, who seems an odd fit for a family-oriented fantasy story, even a darker one like Deathly Hallows, not to mention a clash with the existing musical identity of the series…

I think what I really like about the combination of Williams and Potter is a kinship I feel between the composer and the material. John Williams doesn’t simply write music to fit the scenes, he develops a full range of thematic ideas that run through the entire film or even the series, be they as full-blown statements, or subtle hints and reworkings of concepts that echo and foreshadow forthcoming or preceding material..in other words, very much like JKR writes. I was a little disappointed by the surface simplicity of his first two scores (especially CoS, but then I felt that whole movie was stuck in neutral), but after hearing the richness of Prisoner of Azkaban I was really looking forward to seeing the entirity of Williams’s musical vision for the series pan out. Unfortunately we didn’t get that, but Doyle and Hooper did some fine work nonetheless, and should Williams return for DH, maybe we’ll get a taste of his complete concept. Best of both worlds, really. :)

Avatar Image says:

Also, to all those suggesting Tim Burton; are you sure you’re thinking this through? Burton is a fine director with a fantastic visual style, but he’s also one of the most resolutely individualistic and idiosyncratic directors working today; everything he touches, no matter how different the source material (see Batman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Sleepy Hollow etc.), turns into a “Burton Film”, gothic, darkly humourous, filled with larger-than-life caricatures and obsessed with style and atmosphere over all else, especially plot. In other words, he’s not what you’d call versatile. Sure, Deathly Hallows does share some thematic territory with Burton, but like all the Potter stories it’s also intensely plot and character-driven, which doesn’t ally with Burton’s natural sensibility at all. Is he flexible enough to change? Maybe, but I’m reminded of his 2001 Planet of the Apes, the only time I felt like Burton was trying to escape his own natural filmmaking style, and uncoincidentally his only unmitigated failure. I definitely think Potter is much better served in the hands of a creative visionary than in a journeyman like Columbus, but it needs a visionary with discipline, and that’s what I think Burton lacks…

Avatar Image says:

Sorry, but I really hope Williams stays away. I was a big fan of his previous work, but frankly his HP stuff are the worst things he’s done. They just sound like compilations of all his previous stuff. You can hear the Wet Bandits theme from Home Alone, everytime Crabb and Goyle are on screen. And just because the movie stars children, doesn’t mean we need pixie bells running throughout it. Unless he moves away from the kiddie steriotypes and comes up with something fresh, I think he should stay away from the Potter franchise.

Avatar Image says:

While I’d love to see Williams back for DH, I seriously disagree with all this Patrick Doyle and Nicholas Hooper bashing. I think both composers left their mark, as well as some classic tracks like “Harry in the Winter” and “Dumbledore’s Army” which rivals even the best of Williams.

Avatar Image says:

Yesss! FINALLY. There is justice in the world.

Buh bye, Hooper. Two good twos and the rest was a lameo unrememberable score.

Avatar Image says:

yay i really like john williams hes amazing and i really hope a they pick someone really good to return like christopher colombus who didnt leave a lot of stuff out like some other people….....

prongslover77

Avatar Image says:

Why do you guys keep getting Michael’s last name wrong? His name is Michael Goldenberg… if you guys can’t get his last name right, just use his last initial. Geez.

It would be certainly great to have John Williams back on for “Deathly Hallows”, however, I don’t see him coming back unless Chris Columbus (God willing) or Alfonso Cuaron is announced as the director. If Newell or Yates came back on, they’d bring back Doyle or Hooper, respectively. (I am pretty positive Yates will bring back Hooper if he comes back, but might use Williams in DH as a proper farewell to the series musically.)

I would be positively gleeful if John Williams was asked to come back for DH, but I wouldn’t mind having a Doyle or Hooper score either.

Avatar Image says:

I’m very pleased! I really hope Williams returns. We need him!

Columbus should stay very far away. He left the plots nearly intact but left out emotion and character.

Avatar Image says:

Losing John Williams is one of the saddest things that has happened to the franchise. I really wish he would come back.

Although Doyle and Hooper created some nice music for the fourth and fifth film respectively, none of them was able to match the beauty of William’s score for the first three films, especially Azkaban.

I really wish he would be back.

Avatar Image says:

Merlin’s beard! After I read “The Battle of Hogwarts,” I said to Mr. McClaggan, “That scene could be all kinds of cheesy in the wrong hands :::coughChrisColumbuscough::” I mean, can you imagine the wacky hijinks as Professor Trelawney lets those crysal balls fly? It would be like “Home Alone at Hogwarts.” Complete with “wacky hijinks” music from John Williams? I’m shuddering at the thought.

I was very impressed with the work David Yates did on OotP—he is right up there with Alfonso Cuaron in my book. But Michael Goldenberg’s screenplay was fantastic. As someone upthread mentioned, he did an outstanding job alluding to things in the books that couldn’t be included because of time constraints. I laughed right out loud when I saw that goat in the Hog’s Head! Yates had a hand in this as well (loved the way he handled the occlumency/legilimency sequences, the flashbacks and dreams, and especially the Daily Prophet).

But anyway. The score. I thought Williams’ work on PoA was his best, but my favorite of the Potter films was Paddy Doyle’s for GoF. Nicholas Hooper’s OotP reminded me too much of the Germanic Romantic composers.

Avatar Image says:

OH, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEASE!!!

John Williams is the ONLY composer who should EVER have written for Harry Potter!!!! His themes are evocative and memorable, perfectly suited for enhancing the films of Harry’s story.

The other composers did such a mediocre job that I cannot recall a single theme from the movies they wrote for. (No, that’s incorrect; there was that perfectly dreadful “Hogwarts March” in GoF.)

If John Williams returns for “Deathly Hallows” my life will be complete and I can die happy. (Not that I’m planning to right now or anything like that, but eventually…)

Avatar Image says:

oh please, let this be true, and hope they get alfonzo too. please let it be true.

Avatar Image says:

I miss john williams so much…....williams’ score has been the best so far…even though Hooper’s score is good , it is not harry potter-ish and the magic is missing in it…..

Micheal Gambon is a very good actor but he’ll be good in aberforth’s role than Dumbledore’s…..

Avatar Image says:

Nicholas Hooper was great in OotP and I saw on ImdB.com that he also would be doing the HBP score. I hope he does!

Avatar Image says:

Columbus?? Oh gawd, noooO! He did quite good films because the plot was shorter and “simpler”... For the DH we need someone who can risk and who doesn’t have that disney-like sugar candy vision of magical world…c’mon Diagon Alley in the first two movies looks like Disneyland… For me David Yates would be good for the DH if he only could risk something more and make a longer movie, and about the soundtrack: John Williams would be good, but I really love Hooper’s soundtrack. But my favourite director for the DH would absolutely be Alfonso Cuaron.

Avatar Image says:

Maybe they could pull something like in Entourage and move Yates off the next film and replace him with Cuaron.

Avatar Image says:

Hmmm… just some more thoughts. I’m Italian so I have a European point of view: for me John Williams is a great composer but he is too American, or rather he is THE American composer. His job in the first two films was good, but it was much too American, with the 800 piece orchestra and stuff, and, nonetheless, as somebody has said before me, many pieces were taken from his previous works. The only fresh thing he did was Hedwig’s theme, which is, no doubt, a masterpiece, the right theme for a story like Harry Potter’s. By the way, PoA was a completely different story. It is considered one of his best jobs, and, indeed, it is. “Windows from the past” and “Buckbeak’s flight” are tremendous works of art, and the whole soundtrack is the right score for an awesome movie. In my opinion he did the first two movies as an “ordinary job”, while in the third, probably motivated by the new director, he did his best to create a marvelous score. His first two scores have the same flaws of the movies: they lack emotion and intensity. They are grand and pompous, but they are also redundant and boring…The third is completely different: it is full of passion, emotion, it makes you feel sad but also exhilarated… just like the movie. Hooper has done a great job also because he has created various themes: for me “The room of requirements” and “The possession” are incredibly stirring and beautiful pieces. His score is like the movie, too: it is desperate, loving, with deep emotion and fear, but it is, unfortunately, too short, or, better, it sounds a bit incomplete. So, concluding :) : John Williams could do good only if he does his best, otherwise Hooper would be the best alternative.

Avatar Image says:

I’ve always liked John Williams’ score. Mind you I liked the last film’s too.

Michael Goldenberg, I agree with those who say he did a good job. What I liked is that he tended to choose words from the book, or in keeping with it, rather than make up cheesy ones like Steve ‘I love magic’ Kloves. Hagrid’s ‘There’s a storm coming’ line was cheesy admittedly (but I have to say, though I normally like Coltrane, the fault was partly with delivery!).

Chris Columbus?- ok he didn’t miss out so much but his books were WAY shorter than at least GoF and OotP. But the first two films are just twee. We can’t have a twee DH!

Avatar Image says:

I hope so! He’s, in my opinion, the best composer ever! As far as I’m concerned, they need a director who is a fan…who has been a fan since before the movies.

Avatar Image says:

what I really want to hear is the Phoenix Lament, I hope they’ll make it as good as the book describes it.

Avatar Image says:

I REALLY hope that he comes back! Williams is my fave movie composer of all time and I’d REALLY love to hear his take on the music for DH! He’d do so fantastic, as is tradition of John Williams. He’s really, really great.

Avatar Image says:

Oh man! Yuck. If he does he better darned well pull out the stops and stop depending on using the same thematic material he always harvests from. I would HATE for DH to sound like some Disney theme park adventure, and I’m sorry, but anymore that’s about what Williams turns out for “kiddie” movies in particular.

Avatar Image says:

I didn’t enjoy Hooper very much and if Williams comes back I will be quite happy!

Avatar Image says:

“Not to knock on Doyle and Hooper’s work for the fourth and fifth movies, but when I watch certain scenes in those movies (such as the graveyard scene in GOF and the death of Sirius/possession scene in OOTP) I kept thinking how much more powerful they’d be if Williams had composed the score.”

I totally agree with that! The scores were definitely lacking in GoF and OOTP. Williams had created some beautiful themes (im referring mainly to PoA, but i also liked the scores for the 1st 2). Then, the only one that remained was Hedwig’s theme.

If Williams doesnt come back im seriously going to petition!!!

Avatar Image says:

The last movie HAS to be Cuaron and Williams back! Anyone who’s seen Children Of Men will know how excellent Cuaron could make the Battle of Hogwarts. Imagine Harry moving through it like Clive Owen’s character in Children Of Men, with spells blasting everywhere, SO much going on in the background, windows blowing out etc. And then to have John Williams’s music there would top it off brilliantly. I want to hear the old themes back too to round off the series. It would be good to hear the Window To The Past theme again, perhaps over the Snape flashbacks or Harry at his parents’ graves (as an experiment, put that track on while reading that part in the book, try not to tear up! It’s perfect!)

Avatar Image says:

“Hooper was just a disappointment. I think the fight between Dumbledore and Voldemort showed that, it really just lacked a strong (and good) musical aspect”

Well, for the most part, the Voldemort/Dumbledore duel in OOTP wasn’t scored, the score faded out after Voldemort says “And I shall be done and you… shall be dead”. The score came back in when Voldemort uses the broken glass to try and kill Harry and Dumbledore, but that section was near the end of the duel.

Hooper’s score was a mixed bag. I liked his score for OOTP much better than Doyle’s GOF score, where Doyle continually ignored Williams’s themes for the most part, content to just put “Hedwig’s Theme” in random sections of the score (and it sounded too much like his “Frankenstein” score in places). Hooper used a wider range of softer instruments (such as woodwinds and glockenspiel) and actually used a bigger choir, but the darker, more sad side was not one of Hooper’s stronger points in the OOTP score.

I’m hoping Cuaron comes back for DH and that way he can bring Williams back.

Avatar Image says:

I really hope he comes back. He is one of the only modern composers who I listen to. His music is always unique but stands out. He did after all create the HP theme, which is awesome. Even my brother who refuses to read or watch HP, admits that the theme is cool.

Avatar Image says:

As much as I appreciate John Williams’ abilities as a composer, I just don’t feel his style fits Harry Potter at all. His scores always feel a little heavy-handed when paired with the on-screen action. Maybe I just like a little more subtlety. I thought Nicholas Hooper did a great job, and while I think he still has a bit to learn, his music complemented OotP very well.

Avatar Image says:

Please…anyone but Cuaron…I don’t think I could stomach over two hours of Super!Hermione. After all, the movie is supposed to be HARRY POTTER and the Deathly Hallows, not Hermione Granger and the Deathly Hallows.

Avatar Image says:

John Williams is a good composer… although I have heard a number of earlier contemporary works that I swear he has heard and that he stole from. The Harry Potter theme sounds a lot like a flute/harp concerto which was written by a recent composer named Lowell Liebermann… and John Williams has most likely heard it. It wouldn’t be Liebermann stealing from Williams, because the concerto was written about a year before Philosopher’s Stone was published.

Harry Potter’s not the only example. After all, John Williams only ever stole from the best!

Sorry, I’m a critic. I actually really like the Harry Potter theme, and I think that it is one of Williams’s strong points. It does match the story line. That is really what I look for in movie music. It’s great when a movie has a coinciding soundtrack, because music can express things that words cannot. Ask anybody who has been trained in music. That is why the music must match the movie’s storyline. Even if Williams did borrow from another composer, the result did match the plot, and I’m thankful for that. Harry Potter’s music is not as overblown as the soundtrack in Indiana Jones, nor as tumultous as the Star Wars music. It is calmer, and more magical, and therefore more perfect for Harry Potter.

It would be nice if he returned for “Deathly Hallows,” but I hope dearly that he adjusts the music to sound much more serious than it does in “Sorceror’s Stone,” “Chamber of Secrets,” or “Prisoner of Azkaban.” It had better, because you have to admit, “Deathly Hallows” is a lot darker and a lot more serious than the first three books.

I wish him luck!

Avatar Image says:

i liked columbus – when all is said and done, he CREATED a lot of the visual world [both very British and at the same time very magical] which the others have only built upon, or reacted against. to me curaon was interesting but did not conform to the spirit of the books. but what i really wanted to say, was that john williams’ music, from the first film on, was the ONE (and only) thing that the film brought to my experience, which I was not able to get from the book alone. and i was devastated when it wasn’t there any longer. i have to confess that i’ve admired his music for decades, and (being a musician) admit that one can hear echoes of Star Wars, for instance, in Harry Potter – but regardless, he is the only one whose work has the sweep, the grandeur, the depth, which i would like to hear again in the Harry Potter films.

Avatar Image says:

I’d love John Williams to come back! That would be great for him to complete the circle. Definitely no to Cuaron, and I hope WB knows better than to hire someone so controversial. Seems like people here either love him or hate him; this particular thread seems to indicate most want him back, but other threads give the opposite impression…but either way, having him back would make too many people unhappy. I was so grateful for Columbus’ fidelity to the book, but I understand he shouldn’t be forced on those who don’t like what he did. Yates did a great job, I thought, so it’s not that I’m a nazi about having the movie EXACTLY as the book; the feel of PoA just didn’t seem faithful to the Potter world at all to me. Ah well, the thread is about the composer, and I am keeping my fingers crossed for Williams! (Though I realize the likelihood is that Yates stays on with Hooper.)

Avatar Image says:

sorry, i meant to write “cuaron.”

Avatar Image says:

Yes! I’d love Mr. Williams to come back!

As for director, I really, really hope Spielberg would be willing to direct the last book. There were reports that said that he felt the early HP books were written so well for cinematic presentation that he did not feel them to be challenging enough to helm it. The books have since come a long way, and Book7 I think WILL be a challenge!

Avatar Image says:

It’s cool to read so many passionate people writing their feelings on the films. I for one loved every film and every score. I’m not one to really complain – I’m more of a lover of the books than anything else. That said, I really don’t care who composes or directs the final film as long as the film and the soundtrack are masterpieces.

Avatar Image says:

Sorcerer’s Stone is the finest score of the 21st century, POA is also very good. COS is a level below, them but all those are far greater than Hoopers very good achievement, and Doyle’s less than satisfactory effort. The film needs John Williams. He will give the film the umph it needs for the death of Hedwig, and Dobby, and the thrilling Battle of Hogwarts. And to the poster that says they prefer dialog to music, thats a mixing problem and nothing to do with John Williams score, or anyones score.

Avatar Image says:

The Columbus DisneyPotters and Yates’ Harry Potter: the $250M Telemovie were lost opportunities and everyone who knows anything about film knows that. Out of the previous directors, Cuaron and Newell are the only ones who can handle Deathly Hallows. Del Toro’s name comes up all the time, and while he does good work, Cuaron’s approaches genius, like Williams’ music.

Newell doesn’t get much credit, but he made a very successful film from difficult material. Witness the huge box office for OoTP, all off the back of GoF.

I don’t want to sit through another Yates Experience where the music vanishes into the background and the whole audience sits there in silence. Deathly Hallows must be THRILLING, not Yates’ docudrama, or dumbed down like the Columbus films.

David Yates, please give your next film SPECTACLE, THRILLS and a CINEMATIC SENSE OF OCCASION! That’s what the movies are for, for heaven’s sake. And please no “sex, drugs, and rock & roll”. HBP is about Horcruxes, not Lavender Brown :(

Avatar Image says:

Whoever ends up doing the Deathly Hallows film, better stick to the book and change as few things as possible!!!!!!!!! I love the books and the films, but i don’t want the director of DH to ruin all Jo’s work!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

It’s interesting to see how many different opinions there are about the scores and directors. One person thinks Hooper was great, on thinks he was terrible, various people think various things about Chris Columbus.

Personally, I’m not going to angst about any of it much because there’s not a thing I can do about it! I’m not the hugest movie fan, though I generally like them, so I’m content to just wait and see who gets it and how the movie(s) turn out.

Avatar Image says:

Spielberg would be terrible for the last film. He was offered the first one, but he wanted that boy from the sixth sense to play harry (juk!) I’m so glad Jo veto’d that. She only wanted british actors. Spielbergs ego is just to big for harry potter. I would like cuaron back. At least not Columbus, he just doesn’t have the range for DH.

Avatar Image says:

Danny Elfman! Danny Elfman!! Danny Elfman!!!

Please get Danny Elfman to compose it!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I hope this is true! I like the other composers, but there is only one John Williams

Avatar Image says:

I do not believe that Chris Columbus is dumb or stupid enough to direct Deathly Hallows in the exact same fashion as he did for Sorcerer’s Stone and Chamber of Secrets. I am pretty sure that he would be smart enough not to make a kiddie film. After all, his mission in making SS and COS was to be faithful to the books, even down to written words in the novel themselves. SS and COS were more family-oriented films because the books dictated just that. It was not time for the darkness that we see in the later films. Also, I feel that people have forgotten the Columbus was the director who brought the world of Harry Potter to life, and that his films are the cornerstone from which the other directors and films have built on. Columbus should at least be given consideration and given a chance to prove himself, to finish what he started. After all, none of the other films have grossed as much has his first Potter film. The same thing for John Williams, who should score the last film with a large orchestra to add color and drama to what is sure to be an iconic battle between Harry and Voldemort. I am personally sickened by the demonization of everyone mentioned in previous posts. I don’t mind constructive criticism, but some of the posts seem to be just outright hate-filled diatribes. That being said, I believe the Harry Potter films should finish out with the people who started it, and brought it to life.

Avatar Image says:

Totally agree with your post, Wes! Thank you! I wouldn’t mind having Columbus back either (though i’m not sure there’s any chance he’d be willing), and along with Williams complete the circle (as I said in my earlier post).

Avatar Image says:

“Please…anyone but Cuaron…I don’t think I could stomach over two hours of Super!Hermione.”

Steve Kloves was responsible for creating Super!Hermione, not Cuaron. In GOF, Super!Hermione was still present. Thank goodness Goldenberg came on for OOTP and gave Ron the screentime he needed and wrote Hermione as she was in the book. I’m a bit irritated Kloves is back on for HBP (he’ll probably reduce Ron to comic relief again because he doesn’t play a really big role) but I’m praying that Goldenberg loved DH and wants to do the last film. (Or at least have Goldenberg and Kloves co-write the screenplay.)

I just hope the WB contracts Williams to write the score, or that the DH director asks Williams to come back.

Avatar Image says:

While paying close attention to detail would be excellent for DH, as it has a lot of things important to the plot, NO Chris Columbus. Someone stated that they don’t think that Columbus would direct DH the same way as he did the first two films. Well, it seems to me that just about all of his films have that same, sugary-sweet feel and look to them. Columbus, while he was really good for the first movie, shouldn’t come back. I’m not one of the nerds who wants every single detail included in film; it’s way too boring.

On the other hand, I would be thrilled if Williams returned. I really liked most of Patrick Doyle’s score, and I loved Hooper’s score, but John Williams is The King of Film Music. He’s a Legend with a capital L. I know that Williams is more than capable of composing a dark score, so I’m not worried about that. The only thing that would gripe me is if Hedwig’s Theme constantly appears in some pieces (I actually like Hooper’s take on the theme better).

Avatar Image says:

btw, I totally agree with eveything you said, Matthew. However, I kind of like Super Hermione. I mean, sure, she wasn’t quite like the character in PoA, but I think she looks really good in jeans and and pink jogging jacket.

Avatar Image says:

I stand by my case for Columbus. Anyone, including “sugary-sweet feel” Chris Columbus have should enough sense to know that the seventh film is going to have very serious, very dark, and adult themes, which will not fit into the mold of films one and two. Columbus would not “sugarize” dark scenes as he did not do that to the dark scenes in the first two films. After reading about his 2005 movie “Rent”, I am sure he is capable of handling rough material. Also, when I watched COS, I thought that it was much more darker in its tone than SS. Since then, the later films have since gotten darker in their tones, and Columbus should know that. Also, Steve Kloves has stated several times that his favorite character is Hermione, so it should not be a surprise that he has augmented her character a bit. I might also add that Ron as a joke was not present in GOF, which was written by Kloves. Finally, in an interview with Kloves on the special features disk of COS, J.K. Rowling stated that she would like to see Kloves continue to write the scripts for the future movies since they had a good working relationship. This suggests that the author herself in most ways in not entirely, approves of Kloves’s work.

Avatar Image says:

I stand by my case for Columbus. Anyone, including “sugary-sweet feel” Chris Columbus have should enough sense to know that the seventh film is going to have very serious, very dark, and adult themes, which will not fit into the mold of films one and two. Columbus would not “sugarize” dark scenes as he did not do that to the dark scenes in the first two films. After reading about his 2005 movie “Rent”, I am sure he is capable of handling rough material. Also, when I watched COS, I thought that it was much more darker in its tone than SS. Since then, the later films have since gotten darker in their tones, and Columbus should know that. Also, Steve Kloves has stated several times that his favorite character is Hermione, so it should not be a surprise that he has augmented her character a bit. I might also add that Ron as a joke was not present in GOF, which was written by Kloves. Finally, in an interview with Kloves on the special features disk of COS, J.K. Rowling stated that she would like to see Kloves continue to write the scripts for the future movies since they had a good working relationship. This suggests that the author herself in most ways if not entirely, approves of Kloves’s work.

Avatar Image says:

Wes, of course Jo approves Kloves’s screenplays—they maintain a working relationship (even if it doesn’t involve as much contact as they had for the first movie) to keep stuff that won’t contradict future films, but Kloves’ enamoration of Hermione’s character does grind the nerves occasionally (particularly in GOF and POA where he gave some of Ron’s lines to Hermione). While Ron wasn’t comic relief in the fourth movie, he just wasn’t as much of a presence that Hermione and Harry were given in the movie. OOTP rectified that problem easily.

And Goldenberg had a similar relationship with Jo while he was working on OOTP (which was two and a half years) and she loved the film version of OOTP when she saw it. I don’t think she’d complain one bit if Goldenberg came on to adapt DH. (I think she’d be happier if Kloves and Goldenberg co-wrote the script together instead.)

And as for the score, should John Williams come back to finish the series, I think he’d take a similar approach to scoring DH like he did with POA: keep “Hedwig’s Theme” but use it sparingly (but utilize the previous themes in the films that he scored). And I would love it if Williams referenced Doyle’s Voldemort theme and Hooper’s Umbridge theme as a courtesy to their contribution, but I’d imagine he’d do his own themes instead.

Write a Reply or Comment