Sing a Song of Sweeney Todd

339

Oct 04, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

Sing a Song of Severus Snape…well, almost! Given the keen interest in the upcoming Tim Burton film “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street,” we thought you might enjoy the brand new trailer, which you can see here.
Caution to Parents: this trailer contains some intense scenes with violence, and is not suitable for younger children.

This Sweeney Todd film is based on the classic Tony Award- winning musical from Stephen Sondheim, and stars several actors from the Harry Potter films including the brilliant Alan Rickman (Severus Snape), Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange), and Timothy Spall (Peter Pettigrew). Enjoy!

39 Responses to Sing a Song of Sweeney Todd

Avatar Image says:

OMG, the Sweeney Todd trailer is out?!? I’ve been waiting for this for ages! runs off to watch it

Avatar Image says:

It looks fabulous but we didn’t hear much vocal and what we did hear wasn’t exactly powerful. That worries me a bit. I’ll go see it for the people but I would love it for some good music.

It REALLY bothers me, a trailer for a musical with almost no music.

Avatar Image says:

Amazing! This film is going to be great!

Avatar Image says:

It’s Depp! I mean.. well come on! It’s Burton, well yeah! It has Bonham Carter! It has singing! 5 It has Rickman! Oh forget it. It Sweeney Todd!!!!!!! By Tim Burton!

What I’m trying to say is: I want to see this film so “bloody” bad! Get it: bloody! Oh you’ll see :D.

Avatar Image says:

For a second, I seriously thought that the hp musical rumor was going to be confirmed. Whew, that was terrifying. But, OMG I really really want to see Sweeney Todd! A LOT. Trailer was amazing. : )

Avatar Image says:

Oh, my goodness! I have got to see that! Singing, Sparrow, Snape and Spall? EEP! Haha! My fangirl moment is now complete! It does look awesome, though!

Avatar Image says:

This looks great! I really like Tim Burton and I love Johnny Depp! Have Alan Rickman in it too will be glorious!

Oh…. My…... God…........

They used exact lines from the musical! EXACT LINES!

Not so sure about the singing though.

Avatar Image says:

WOW! I’m with you, Morgan! But, you forgot the best yet…...BELLATRIX! So it’s “Singing, Sparrow, Snape, Peter, and Bella!!!!” This is too cool. I wouldn’t worry about “a trailer for a Musical with no music”, Ladyhawk! If I know Mr Burton (and I’ve seen many of his pictures…) he doesn’t follow the “usual” pattern. I can’t wait for this movie! It’s gonna be great! With “top actors/actresses” and a great story! I’m JAZZED!

Avatar Image says:

How terrible that they used the song from the famous POTC3 trailer at the beginning…but it looks like a really interesting movie. I’m NOT going to mis from seeing Johnny AND Alan in the same movie!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar Image says:

You know, I’m not impressed by Johnny’s singing from the trailer, but I was so excited, I couldn’t breathe through the whole trailer.

I will be standing in line opening day for this movie, if for no other reason than the fabulous (and disturbingly sexy) Alan Rickman!!!

Avatar Image says:

well atleast we know they kept Epiphany in! even if he wasn’t blasting the notes hopefully the way its filmed will make up for the lack of vocal power. i love the casting of this but can i sing… this is gonna drive me insane… please lord let this not turn into anther phantom fiasco.

Avatar Image says:

OMG, OMG!!! It looks delightfully awful. Hurray for Alan, Johnny, Helena, and Butron too. But Christmas???? Not my usual holiday fare.

...

Mmm…

Alan Rickman should be one of Moviefone’s ‘Hot Actors Over 55.’

Avatar Image says:

WOW!!! I CAN’T WAIT FOR THIS!!! Talk about an amazing cast! I can’t wait for December :D!!

Avatar Image says:

WOW WOW WOW! I’ve been anticipating this trailer for a long time. Amazing!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, finally the trailer’s out! Yay! I believe I’ve seen every Burton/Depp film out there, and I’m looking forward to this one! And more HP actors! (there were a few in Sleepy Hollow, as well). Yay! “Is he dead?” “Well, that’s the problem; he was dead to being with…”

Avatar Image says:

It REALLY bothers me, a trailer for a musical with almost no music.

That’s not uncommon. A lot of trailers for musicals don’t actually have a lot of music in them. It’s because a lot of moviegoers avoid musicals (too bad, I love them), and they’re trying to get people interested in the movie itself. Then, by the time they figure out its a musical they may want to see it because they’re interested in the story.

Avatar Image says:

Ahh, thanks Sue!! I’m so glad Leaky posts this kind of stuff… hurries off to watch trailer which he has been waiting for months!!

Avatar Image says:

i cannot wait for this movie!!!!

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Sue, no lie, you just made my day. I’ve been waiting for this trailer for MONTHS. I’ll admit it, I squee’d when I saw this article. (& held my breath while watching the trailer!) Thank you!! :D

Avatar Image says:

This is going to be soooo awesome! I can’t remember the last time I was this excited about a movie. Sweeny Todd is one of my very favorite musicals. Add in Johnny Depp and Tim Burton and I’m in love! Thanks so much for posting the trailer Sue. I had started to think the movie would never come out and that it was too good to be true. When I heard little snippets of The Ballad of Sweeny Todd in the score behind the trailer I nearly screamed. lol

Squeeee!

I cannot wait to see this. Ok, so mainly it’s because Rickman is going to make superb Turpin, but the rest of the cast isn’t to shabby either. I just hope they can carry through on the musical numbers.

Avatar Image says:

Ohh Sondheim. :) Such brilliant musicals, such dark material! Can’t wait for this!

Avatar Image says:

Ahhh this is sooo cool! I can’t wait!

Avatar Image says:

I want to see this SO BAD, but I might have to wait for months….. Looks awesome.

I FEEEEEEL youuu JOHAAAAAAAANA

In the mean time, Depp and Bonham Carter with awesome tension!

Avatar Image says:

At Harry Potter Filks (under the Musicals), we have a full-length musical by Salazar titled “Voldemort – Mastermind of the Dark Mark” which filks Sweeney in its entirety. Brilliantly written, I recommend Googling it (I’d give the link, but that seems to be frowned upon here)

Avatar Image says:

I got chills when they, very appropriately, ended the trailer with, “At last, my arm is complete again!”

Saw the original cast - Angela Lansbury and Len Cariou - on Broadway, and the Susan Schulman revival several years later. Absolutely one of my favorite musicals—and our HP actors are going to be fabulous in it.

Avatar Image says:

Harry Potter – THE MUSICAL! Well, they’ve done it with the most unlikely of franchises: batman, Lord of the Rings, even Jerry Springer! Apparently LOTR is very good and some considers it close in feel to the books more than films. If you think about it, Harry potter could be done as a musical. In my view a musical must be rich in characters – check. Must not be of a real world setting otherwise – suspense in disbelief would be difficult – check. We all love the books. I love also the movies, the Leaky Cauldron, the comments sections, the toys even, we will have a theme park – woohoo. Baically I welcome anything harry Potter as long as its treated with care in whatever medium they chose. And if some things fails – no big deal, the books will always be the same foever for us to read. So bring on a play and even a musical! I saw a 6 hour (split in 2 parts) production of His Dark Materials in London National Film Theatre and it was incredibly awesome. If they can make that into a play – I reckon Harry Potter will make an even better one.

Avatar Image says:

It trails itself as being at Christmas, but that is only in USA, when it’s due to open December 21 – so you can save it for New Year if you want!

Everywhere else it opens in 2008 – UK on January 25.

Avatar Image says:

Another thought about the weak music showing in the trailer. Remember, for most movies, music is a post-production activity. Most of the actual singing in performance can’t be used, so it’s overdubbed or even replaced by someone who can sing, replacing the tone-deaf. Plus orchestration, etc.

But my definitive performance for Sweeney Todd was Patty Lupone as Mrs. Lovett. I don’t know that HBC can match her gravitas, as well as vocal range!

Avatar Image says:

I did sweeney earlier this year and watching this brought back memories 9not all of them good – just how many times can you sing ballad of Sweeney Todd, in how many different keys and with how many different words?) thought HBC was superb – can’t wait to hear her sing’priest’ bit disappointed thatsome of the original lyrics are changed (what’s wrong with saying ‘at last my right arm is complete again’ which is what it should be) though Epiphany looks like it will be spine chilling. the role of Sweeney is a far easier sing than Mrs Lovett got everything crossed for HBC

and as for my fave professor i’m on my knees worshipping as we speak

Avatar Image says:

From what I can hear from the trailer, the singing isn’t as powerful as I would like it, especially when the lines are from one of the most powerful songs in the musical. But still, Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman, Helena Boham Carter, and Timothy Spall? I wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Avatar Image says:

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! Why does it have to be rated R? WHY????? cries I want to see it SOOOOOOOOOO bad! argh! My parents won’t let me watch rated R movies for another year… cries more

Avatar Image says:

Most excellent. Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about the lack of singing yet. The trailers for Phantom had all the sung lines spoken, after all.

Why does it have to be rated R? WHY?????

Um… blood, gore, killings, meat pies? :)

I think the “At last my (right) arm is complete again” line has gone through changes as the show evolved. I know for sure that some versions of the show that I’ve seen/heard don’t have the word “right.”

Avatar Image says:

I feel for you HermyJane Granger. I was worried that my mom wouldn’t let me see it as I’m only 13, but she said YES!! Sweeney is coming!!!

Avatar Image says:

Snape, Pettigrew, Bellatrix….err….Michael Jackson-wannabe Johnny Depp…..wow. Great casting! I just don’t like Johnny Depp at ALL. He creeps me out. IS Helena Bonham goth?

Write a Reply or Comment