New Pet for JKR No Mere Padfoot

108

Oct 08, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is a new addition to the Murray family to tell you about tonight, as author J.K. Rowling has now adopted a four year old former race dog. The Herald reports that Jo and her family visited the Greyhound Rescue Fife agency in Scotland, and chose the female dog, making a generous donation to the business in the process. The owner of the agency said:

It was only when she asked for a £30 donation to Greyhound Rescue Fife, which the 61-year-old runs with her husband, Jimmy, near Kirkcaldy, that she realised she had been dealing with the world’s most famous children’s author.

At the bottom of a cheque for £1000 was the signature millions of Harry Potter fans would die for. “When I looked at the cheque I couldn’t believe it. The first thing I noticed was the amount she had made it out for,” Mrs Fernie said yesterday.

“Then I spotted her name and realised who it was. I just said Oh, I didn’t recognise you,’ and she just smiled politely. She was a lovely woman – the whole family were very nice.”

The new member of the family, named Sapphire (no word if she is a Ravenclaw ;) joins their other pet, a Jack Russell named Butch, at the Murray home in Edinburgh, Scotland. The owner of the dog rescue center said that she “always ask a person a bit about their lifestyle – what size their house is, do they have a garden and quite importantly does it have a wall at least 6ft high, because I would hate for the dog to get out and run off,” Mrs Fernie recalled…I could see Sapphire was going to a good home. Now I know just how good,” she said.”

You can see photos of JKR and her new addition, here in our galleries courtesy of Greyhound Rescue. Congratulations Jo and family!

Thanks to HPANA.

43 Responses to New Pet for JKR No Mere Padfoot

Avatar Image says:

OMG!!! How Cute! I love JKR!...and come on…who wouldn’t recognize her?

Avatar Image says:

Oooh, Jo looks so friendly in this pic :) Enjoy your new life Sapphire, you’ve been a very lucky dog!

Avatar Image says:

Congratulations Jo, Sapphire and all the Murrays! Greyhounds are SUCH good citizens! They are usually quiet in the home and very affectionate, and they have just about the softest ears in creation. Wishing you many years of pleasure together!

Aww, how adorable!

Avatar Image says:

4rth?! I love that she got a dog!! I should ask her about it at carnegie hall!!

Avatar Image says:

Wow, Sapphire looks exactly like Knight, my mom’s best friend’s dog. She is the cutest dog! Go Rowling!

Avatar Image says:

Wonderful! Greyhounds are the best dogs in the world, go JKR for adopting one.

Avatar Image says:

That’s wonderful! People would pay to be that dog! I seem to recall reading they had a fish to…

Avatar Image says:

Awwww, what a sweet story!! Go Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Greyhounds are the best dogs EVER!!! EVeryone should have one – they’re such loving creatures! (Just make sure they get on with small, fluffy creatures first!) It’s unfortunate, and mostly unfounded, that most seem as being quite vicious because of the racing thing. But all my Greyhounds have been gentle souls….bless their little cotton socks :)

Avatar Image says:

OK—I love her books, but the fact that she ADOPTED from a rescue rather than buying from a breeder makes her the coolest EVER!

Avatar Image says:

brillient!! i have 2 greyhounds a worth while course for any dog lover! Go Jo! u rock

Avatar Image says:

Greyhounds are awesome animals! They’re great pets, and many are very gentle!

What a beautiful dog!

Avatar Image says:

Jo looks great as usual and the dog looks very cute! That’s one lucky animal… ;)

incoherent splutterings I adore that photo ♥

Avatar Image says:

she is so beautiful!!! and Butch looks very unhappy in that other picture…. lol.

<3padfootrocksmysocks

Avatar Image says:

Nice to see that an otherwise “unwanted” dog got a fabulous new home and family. I laughed out loud at the picture in the gallery where Sapphire and Butch had opposite beds to their size.

Avatar Image says:

Good on, JK! (yep, yep!) All dogs are only as friendly as their owners….this one’s gonna be a doll! (not that she isn’t already!) I think of Butch as the “older sibling who’s feeling left out, with the new baby’s arriva! They’ll be fast friends in no time! For someone, who could just go out and BUY any animal she wished, I am pleased that she chose to adopt. I wish more people would!Greyhounds are wonderful!

Avatar Image says:

LOL! Has anyone noticed that, in the first picture, Butch has the “big” cushion and Sapphire has the small?! Too, too cute! Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

Avatar Image says:

Hey, jo rowling is receiving a special honour award at the Pride of Britain awards! I thought she was presenting, but she’s not! Why am i surprised? Way to go, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

That’s so sweet of Jo and her family. The dogs are adorable.

Avatar Image says:

Greyhounds are the best. Good show, Jo!

Avatar Image says:

Great story, but is anyone else battling to get the picture to load?

Avatar Image says:

I’ve heard what lovely pets retired greyhounds make. There is a rescue program in my area, and I often see people out walking these graceful dogs. It was great seeing the pictures—my favorite is the one with the greyhound on the tiny bed and the tiny dog on the large dog’s bed. Cute.

Hugs to JKR and her family for adopting this special dog. :-)

That’s wonderful! People would pay to be that dog! Posted by Helios Lightra

Look for professional help. And do not insult people by makig such sick statements!

Avatar Image says:

We all know what an incredible person Jo is … the fact that she adopted a rescue greyhound is just magic! I know very well these dogs, for a good friend of mine is resposible for adoptions of former racer in Italy. I hope lots of people will follow Jo’s footsteps and adopte one too!!!!

Avatar Image says:

I’m so glad she got a rescue greyhound. I would have liked one – but settled for two rescued guinea pigs (cavies) instead. Ginger. Twins. Called Fred & George…I wonder why?!

Jacky

Avatar Image says:

HOW SWEET IS THAT!! LUV YOU JO!!! Yea who wouldn’t reconize her???? I wish i was sapphire!!!How luck is she!!!! Hope you have a great life! :)

Avatar Image says:

Story for my fellow HP pet lovers: On Friday, July 20th, our dog “Blue” passed away. It was a very emotional day to say the the least. Read book seven the next day. Put the fictional character deaths into perspective pretty quickly….didn’t shed a tear. I did, however, have to walk away from the book for a bit when Hedwig died. :-(

Over the next few days, I had to resist the urge to run up and down the neighborhood and hug and furry friends I came across. Before the neighbors called the cops, we decided it was time to look online for a new canine companion. We had gone to a breeder for Blue, so this was a new experience for us. We couldn’t believe the number of pets out there waiting for a good home. Heartbreaking. After searching through hundreds of available pets, we saw our next dog: he had been rescued minutes away from being put down at a high-kill shelter. He was scraggly and small, and looked like a cross between a gremlin and an ewok. We fell in love. A week later, Tucker became a member of our family.

We’ll never forget Blue (I still tear up thinking about him), but we have a lot of love to share, and are so glad we didn’t hesitate to bring a deserving pet, waiting for that love, into our family. Rescues rock!

p.s. I wanted to name him “Padfoot” or “Norbert”, but got voted down. And I so wanted to be known as “Norbert’s mummy.” Humph.

What a beautiful dog. Great job, Jo! :]

Avatar Image says:

I have a Jack mix and all he does is run. Once he gets used to the new baby they are going to run each other to the ground. They will have a great life together with the Rowlings.

That’s very nice of her! Thanks for this news! ^^

And christiane… geez, relax, it was just a joke. I think it’s YOU who’s insulting by saying ‘look for professional help’ ... geez… _; meh…

Avatar Image says:

Greyhounds are some cute, sweet dogs. She looks like a doll.

Avatar Image says:

Aww, Jo is so lovely! I love dogs and it’s so awesome that she made such a great donation. Love her!

Avatar Image says:

Well now JKR & I have something in common besides HP. I’ve have 3 retired racers since 1994. I won’t have any other dog than a retired greyhound. They are the most wonderful dog to have around. I hope she loves hers as much as I love mine. I love that name Sapphire.

Avatar Image says:

Good on You Jo! It’s lovely that you have taken a rescue dog and made such a big donation for the charity. I have a rescue dog – best companion I could ever have. I wish Sapphire and your family many happy years together. Much love, Margaret XX

Avatar Image says:

awwwww…..that’s soooo cute….^^.....Jo you are just the coolest person ever…..I mean i love dogs…..............and she’s so nice to have donated so much…..:)......I hope Jo, her family, and two dogs have a great life together….....:).......

Avatar Image says:

I LOVE the word “Sapphire”. It’s funny!! Because I tried to use it as a nickname, and it was already taken!! =( I also tried to have an email account with it, but they were all taken, too!! T_T I tried to change the word to “Sapphireal”, “Sapphirean”, etc, but it was all the same!!

Avatar Image says:

Awwww. so cute. :) Saphire looks a bit like my dog, except bigger.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is the best person EVER!!! She is so awesome! The kindest and most generous person I know! GO JO!!! Have fun with the dog!

Avatar Image says:

That’s pretty cool of her! I would suggest that she consider a breast enhancement operation though. Not trying to mean, just think she would look a lot better. In that pic she seems to be pretty saggy.

Avatar Image says:

Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, soo kind and sweet, great with children. It’s so nice that famous people like Jo adopt a pet from a rescue, hopefully small gestures like this will make people consider adopting a pet rather than buying one.

Write a Reply or Comment