Emma Watson Knew the Most about Outcome of Hermione Granger, Says J.K. Rowling

Oct 17, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

In the first of two new articles (see also above story on Christian themes) MTV has now posted a short interview with J.K. Rowling where she reiterates again how she revealed details in advance to several actors about the fates of their characters in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Saying she told all of the cast bits about the fates of their individual characters, Jo says that she “told Emma Watson the most.” She also tells again the story that actor Dan Radcliffe got a bit more than he wanted about the fate of his character, Harry Potter.

“I went down to the set and Dan [Radcliffe] and I had a real chat and it was great. And I said to him ˜Dumbledore’s giving me a bit of trouble.’ And he said, ˜But Dumbledore’s dead!’ And then immediately ˜Don’t tell me! Don’t tell me!’”

But that didn’t stop Radcliffe from “pretending that he knew the ending of book seven’ Rowling laughed, saying his loose lips got him his just desserts. “He went down the corridor to the other kids, because they were still being schooled at the time, and he said, ˜She’s told me, I know what happens,’” Rowling related. “Of course, then he was besieged and started to panic.”

“He got a little taste of what it’s like to be me’ the author cackled. “Serves him right!”

45 Responses to Emma Watson Knew the Most about Outcome of Hermione Granger, Says J.K. Rowling

Avatar Image says:

“I told all of them little bits, [but] I told Emma Watson the most,” Rowling said of the actress who plays Hermione Granger, who in the seventh novel finally gets her romantic moment with Ron Weasley. “She nearly fell off the chair laughing when I told her who she had to kiss.”

“But if it’s faithful to the story she has to kiss both of them,” Rowling added, indicating Harry as well as Ron. “Which I think is kind of funny.”

Love It! I hope they put the locket Harry and Hermione in the film it shows Ron’s struggle and I would love to see Rupert get the chance to do that scene. Having Hermione kiss both Ron and Harry will help all those H/H shippers get there moment too.

Avatar Image says:

Hah! knew it! She’s said before that the trio all knew more than they let on, and they really did have to sell the Hr/r angle, especially with all the D/E chemistry sizzling in the 3rd movie, even at the premiere (remember the handholding? lol). Chris Columbus actually made it a big deal too, so I wonder if he also knew more. Although it was obvious in book 2, that Ron had strong feelings for Hermione (witness his sad look at her desk when she was petrified), they were kind of young then. Those kids did a good job.

Avatar Image says:

Haha, I love it that Emma “nearly fell off the chair laughing when [Jo] told her who she had to kiss.” That’s so funny!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, wonder when she was told this.

Avatar Image says:

Oh but JKR is naughty! Emma gets to kiss twice – and both main characters! That scene should be included in the movie.

Avatar Image says:

what comes across in this interview is what a great relationship JK has with the trio! And they certainly repaid her trust, because i for one believed it when the trio constantly stated they knew nothing about their characters fate. We should sign them up for MI5!

Avatar Image says:

another thing that intrigues me is. Did Dan know what Emma knew, or Rupert know what Dan knew, or were they all carrying their own secrets close to their own hearts! I can imagine Emma chuckling to herself with THAT knowledge!

Avatar Image says:

yea i agree jain! lol!! :) emma chuckling to herself, yea i can see that to

Avatar Image says:

yeah but i don’t want to see Emma kiss anyone on screen,cause i wanna kiss Emma Watson. I am so hugely passionatly,madly,massively in love with Emma Watson. Emma is just the most beautiful womena alive ever.I mean look at those gorgeous eyes,that beautiful face,that lovely nose,those sexy lips.everything about Emma is perfect and beautiful.

Avatar Image says:

I definately hope hermione gets to kiss both boys in the movie- it was a crucial point when the h/hr kiss shows ron’s true jealousy. Plus I would just love to be emma then!

Avatar Image says:

no i want to kiss Emma i dont want anyone else to. I want to be the one to hold,cuddle,snuggle,and keep Emma warm at night.

Avatar Image says:

Dear Emma Watson Lover, Please get a life. Thank you.

Avatar Image says:

emma watson lover: You’re really creepy.

LOL @ Ste.

I too really want to see that locket scene! Dan and Emma do have great chemistry, and this would be a heart stopping moment for H/H and D/E shippers.

Additionally, I would thoroughly enjoy watching Rupert act out that scene. It’s an intense moment for Ron and it speaks volumes about the journey he had to travel to remain by Harry’s side.

Avatar Image says:

It should be in the movie, it explains alot about his insecurities toward Hermione and Harry. Plus explains why he bailed out on them. Rowling and Emma seem to get along really well. She probably knew Emma would get a kick out of kissing both of them. Yeah, I wonder if Rupert and Dan knew also? What a little secret for her to have. LOL.

Avatar Image says:

That was sooo funny. I bet Emma freaked out when she found out that she would have to kiss both Dan and Rupert. I hope they keep that part in the movie, because when the horcrux harry and hermione kiss that pushes Ron over the edge and makes him destroy the locket. I love that part. I’m not surprised that JKR told Emma the most because Emma seems like she’s the closest out of the trio to JKR, because she plays Hermione who is based on JKR herself.

Quote: pigwidgeon on October 17, 2007 @ 05:17 PM “Certainly serves him right. He shouldn’t have been boasting about it. anyways, vaguely interesting interview. Don’t really care about Emma Watson though… Hermione is my least favourite character. Except maybe Rita Skeeter.”

Pigwidgeon, why is Hermione your least favorite character? She’s one of the best characters in the books. Without Hermione, Harry and Ron both would have been expelled or killed in book 2. And the article was about Emma, not Hermione anyways. Unless you have a problem with Emma…hmmm??

Avatar Image says:

So that’s why Emma has always said she’s rooting for R/Hr. I remember that she asked JKR about Hermione’s lovelife on the set of GOF. But that info on the kiss for both Dan and Rupert must be fairly recent. So that’s why Emma fel off her chair laughing. She only expected to kiss Rupert. lol. Shipping aside, I’d really like to see that H/Hr kiss on screen too. It would explain so much Ron’s insecurities as well as giving Rupert a really emo onscreen time.

Avatar Image says:

no i think Jo was only referring to who Hermione was going to end up with, I don’t think she actually told Emma she would have to kiss both of them. At least, that’s the way it sounds to me. I bet the WB did want to push the romantic bit of the movies and Jo had to tell them a bit (so it wouldn’t end up H/hr.) I bet Emma was surprised to find out she would have to kiss both boys though.

Avatar Image says:

remember: Emma will only have to kiss both boys if the film stays true to the book. question is: will it??

personally, i hope so. but not merely for the kisses/ships. but because i’d like the movies to be as magnificent as the books! or just stay as true as possible, pretty please. =)

Avatar Image says:

I have never felt that there was romantic tension between Harry and Hermione… just Hermione feeling almost maternal towards Harry. While Ron and Harry are bestest friends, in some ways the “best friendship” between Harry and Hermione has been deeper than Ron and Harry from the beginning. Ron had to fight his own personal demons, being the youngest son of a family of so many, being the recognized best friend or sidekick of their world’s greatest hero. Hermione wasn’t raised a wizard, was an only child, and didn’t envy Harry that recognition. In some ways, they shared that focused, sometimes unwanted attention of their classmates – he as the The Boy Who Lived, and she as, how did Sirius put it? – the cleverest witch of her age. At the beginning, she understood Harry’s history better than he did – and seemed to understand the danger and seriousness of what he had to battle – each challenge in each book as well as the upcoming ultimate fight against Voldemort. I think she also seemed to empathize with his loss of family – not just his parents, but eventually Sirius as well.

Gee, boys and girls CAN be friends you know.

Avatar Image says:

jasmine wrote: “So that’s why Emma has always said she’s rooting for R/Hr. I remember that she asked JKR about Hermione’s lovelife on the set of GOF.”

I don´t think Emma needed JKR to tell her what happened with Hermione to root for R/Hr. She has read the books and came to the same – correct – conclusion as most readers. She has rooted for R/Hr for years, which I find quite endearing. She is such a book fan. :D

I think the falling off the chair laughing was more about having to kiss both boys in the movie.

I love the interaction JKR has with the actors. This woman seems to have a lot of fun with it and she definitely deserves it.

Now, we know about Dan and Emma, I would like to know what she told Rupert, Bonnie and Evanna.

Avatar Image says:

yeah i was so glad to find out what she told Emma,and i am glad Emma was told the most out of all of them. I can’t wait for Emma to start filming her parts cause she is the only reason i go to see hp.

Avatar Image says:

That’s no surprise.It is impossible to play characters for this long, and to be completelxy in the dark about how or where they are going to end up. Emma said very early on that she would like to see Hermione and Ron married and with kids,and Daniel quipped in a COS interview that he can predict that Ron and Hermione are going to end up together. I bet Rupert knew too,and sort of gave it away because he did protest too much about the R/Hr relationship so to speak…

Avatar Image says:

I think that possibly the REASON why Jo told Emma more than she told any other HP actor is that Hermione is based on Jo herself. So maybe she wanted to give Emma a little insight into Hermione’s future. But Jo and Emma seem to get on well, perhaps they have some similar characteristics but if you watched the Pride of Britain awards last week there was a lot of affection there between them.

Avatar Image says:

There’s a YouTube clip out there somewhere in all the pre OotP stuff a moviefone one I think and it seems pretty clear that neither of the boys knew who Emma might have to kiss. Emma as usual was pushing for a R/Hr kiss and Rupert protests and says “but one of them might die and then I won’t have to” or something like that (is hilarious as Dan says it certianly sounds like he just siad ‘I’d rather die than kiss you” lol) Anywya…my point is that I don’t think either of the boys knew but at that point – Emma possibly did! Whetehre she only knew the Ron kiss of the Horcrux Harry kiss I don’t know…

Avatar Image says:

Based on that moviefone interview, I don’t think Emma knew about the h/hr kiss. That would fall under “too much details”, and I don’t think Jo Rowling would give that much away. The kids only needed to know which direction they were headed in, so as to not ruin anything in further movies. They knew as far back as yes, the second movie interviews, which coupling it was to be. There was one interview where Jo said that Dan asked if he would ever kiss emmma, and he was told no. Can’t remember which one it was, but seems to me it was one from the west coast.

Avatar Image says:

Rupert didn’t protest against a R/Hr kiss. They were talking about who might die and he suggested that if either Ron or Hermione die they wouldn’t need to kiss. Then Dan and Emma proceeded to tease him, saying he said he’d rather die than kiss Emma and he was quick to say be ‘obviously’ didn’t mean it like that lol. If was clear to anyone with a sense of humour that they were all teasing and having a laugh. But fangirls like to twist things to make it sound like the boys cringe at the idea of having to kiss Emma. They’re actors, they’re probably a lot more professional about it, but since they see Emma as a little sister it will be awkward for all three of them. It’s also clear that Jo has a great deal of affection for them, AND that she will advice the filmakers to keep the “locket kiss” IN the Deathly Hallows film.

Avatar Image says:

Fell off her chair laughing, I highly doubt it.

I can’t believe people take this kissing stuff so seriously, they’re actors, it’s meaningless.

NO DUH!

Avatar Image says:

I never said Rupert protested against a Hr/R kiss in the unscripted interview, in which he in fact tried to laugh it off by saying that Ron might die. I was referring to the this interview:(quote)

“EW: Well, of course, Hermione and Ron get closer . . .

RG: Urgh. We don’t have to kiss, do we?”

Avatar Image says:

And another quote which to me proves that they probably did in fact know that it was going to happen. Rupert Grint and Emma Watson (Xpose Magazine) -

Both actors are, however, quick to dismiss the rumor that their characters will kiss in the film. “I don’t think so,” Grint chortles. “Not that we know, not yet!” adds Watson.

They kept on denying it, which means they knew a lot more than they were allowed to say,so they said the opposite of what we now know will happen. A very old Hollywood tactic,and people still swallow it hook,line and sinker. The more you deny it,the more true it is.

Avatar Image says:

Emma’s been talking about R/Hr and predicting it in the media since CoS. She didn’t need JKR to explain that basic fact to her. cough::Unlike certain fans::cough JKR obviously just clued her in on what would finally get them together in DH.

Avatar Image says:

“EW: Well, of course, Hermione and Ron get closer . . .

RG: Urgh. We don’t have to kiss, do we?”

Where is this quote from?

Avatar Image says:

zee: the quote is from the 2006 March issue of DVD Review Magazine.It is also on various other R/E/HR/R sites. berry: i did not say Emma needed the basic facts explained to her, nor did I say some fans could not read between the lines, or that they should. I merely said the actors knew a lot more for a fact than some people cared to believe. That the two characters were going to end up together unless one of them got killed was glaringly obvious.

Avatar Image says:

leviosanotleviosaa, my post wasn’t aimed at you!

Avatar Image says:

i would rather kiss Emma then have a character i play die.i wouldnt even have to think about it,i would be really happy with that,and that’s cause i love Emma Watson ssosososososoosos much;):p.

Avatar Image says:

Ok, the DVD Review Magazine from March 2006 from an interview conducted two or more years ago. I’d hope both Emma and Rupert will have grown up a bit since then. They’ll have nerves about it and of course it will be awkward but I thin they’ll do just fine.

Avatar Image says:

Hopefully JKR will have some say so and insist that BOTH kisses are in the movie…it helps move along the story of Hr/R….lets cross fingers! They are going to have to hope that Rupes can produce as much tears as needed in the last movie…that boy was crying for chapters it seemed…lol

Avatar Image says:

Quote Reba: “Take a chill pill! Pigwigeon is allowed to dislike any character he/she wants. It’s called A Difference Of Opinion.”

I know that Pigwidgeon can like anyone she wants. And I know it’s hard to tell when someone is just writing, but I wasn’t being negative at all. I was just asking him/her out of curiosity. And believe I have heard of a difference of opinion. Thank you very much. And in case you still can’t tell I WAS being negaive this time!

Avatar Image says:

i am glad Hermione didn’t die in the book,cause i didnt want Emma to die on screen,if that wouldve happened i would rather have another one of the trio die. so i am glad Emma makes it alive.

Avatar Image says:

Hermione is my favorite character, so that’s why i didn’t want her to die. That part at Malfoy Manor when she’s being tortured was soooo suspenseful because I was so sure she was a goner. But I’m happy she made it through.

Avatar Image says:

I want to know what she told Rickman about Snape!

Avatar Image says:

Yeah that is the question, What will they include? and What will get cut in the final two movies? But i will see them regardless,#1 because Emma Watson is in it, and #2 because i like the books.

Write a Reply or Comment