J.K. Rowling: a Living Genius

Oct 29, 2007

Posted by SueTLC
Uncategorized

There is another list out today and one that would make Ravenclaw proud: a list of the 100 top “Living Geniuses.” Included on this list is our favorite author, J.K. Rowling who came in at number 83. The number one spot was actually shared by two men, Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who is credited with creating the world wide web, and Albert Hoffmann, the Swiss scientist who created the drug LSD. The Telegraph reports third place went to “George Soros, the American financier and philanthropist, Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons and Nelson Mandela, the former South African president.”

Creators Synectics, a global consultants firm, chose their geniuses by awarding scores out of 10 to each entrant against a number of factors: paradigm shifting; popular acclaim; intellectual power; achievement and cultural importance. The firm emailed 4,000 Britons this summer and asked them to nominate up to 10 living people who they considered geniuses.

They received back 1,100 nominations for individuals in all walks of life, more than 60 per cent of whom were either American or English. Only 60 per cent were still alive.

The panel was then charged with ranking the list in order of genius and to present a resulting shortlist of 100, who were then scored against the five factors.

Others of note on this list include playwright Harold Pinter (#31), the musician Prince (#32), singer Stevie Wonder tied with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and actress Meryl Streep (#49), writer Stephen King (#58) tied with iconic rocker Paul McCartney of the Beatles , and
legendary composer John Williams who wrote the scores to the first three Harry Potter films among many others is ranked at # 72.

Thanks to all who emailed!

47 Responses to J.K. Rowling: a Living Genius

Avatar Image says:

Jo tied with the designer of the Kalashnikov, I’m not sure how to take that.

Avatar Image says:

shes a real looker in that photo

Avatar Image says:

This list seems to be extremely spurios to me – what qualilifaction do members of the public have to decide what constitutes genius!! Prince beat JK?!

Avatar Image says:

I thought it was interesting but that the list seemed to just be thrown together… there are a lot more acclaimed actresses then meryl streep. I dont really get the qualifications for the list becuase just someone has a big fan base doesn’t mean they’re a genius.

-HPfreak

Avatar Image says:

I don’t believe anything that would put Rupert Murdoch above Jo Rowling.

Yay! She is a genius!

However does anyone else find this: 43= Osama Bin Laden (Saudi) Islamicist

Slightly odd?

Avatar Image says:

no. bin laden is a genius which is why we haven’t found him yet.

Avatar Image says:

There are wayyyyy too many iffy names on that list. This isn’t credible.

Avatar Image says:

I think that Jo deserves better place, why not the first???

Avatar Image says:

er… the creator of LSD?! weird.

Avatar Image says:

bir “no. bin laden is a genius which is why we haven’t found him yet.”

Ha ha.

Seriously, this list is weird. I try to find a consistency about it and what I think one qualification is long term success in whatever is it you do (including bin laden’s hideout!). I think everyone qualifies in that respct. JK just about qualifies since it has been 10 years but she still has to prove herself a bit more by writing other big sellers. I think 95% deserve t be on the list – the order in which they appear is much more debatable. But having Bin Laden on the list is I think ludicrous! Discredits the whole list really. But the entry does make me laugh!

Avatar Image says:

LOL. I’ll bet, the reason for her “placement” is she has one of the most successful series, ever written. In this day and age, that’s saying something! “creator of LSD?????” What WERE they thinking! LOL

Avatar Image says:

LOL what an awful list. Though I suppose anything that recognizes Jo has a genius can’t be all bad.

Avatar Image says:

That’s cool JK Rowling deserves it, she is a gifted and talented writer. Funny thing right now the person who lives above me is watching the first Harry Potter, so i am sitting here online and listening to it:plol. Does anyone know when Bonnie Wright starts filming for HBP?

Avatar Image says:

This list seems spurious indeed. The creator of LSD, bin Laden and George Soros? What on earth were their qualifications? Jo would be an obvious contender on a respectable list, I kind of wish she’d been left out of this wacky group.

Avatar Image says:

What counts as a living genius in this list? Apparently you just have to have a well known name. The creators should be a little bit embarrassed, i mean 40% of the people on the list are not even alive. 90% of the people on there need to be changed. Don’t get me wrong, JK Rowling is a very intelligent person, but she is not one of the top 100 living geniuses.

Avatar Image says:

Only Britons got to vote. And the Telegraph proudly says majority of the geniuses were British. Believable?

Geniuses in the world? Creator Synectics need to learn more about how to do research.

Avatar Image says:

All you need to do according to this list is murder a few thousand people…..... SAD!!!

Avatar Image says:

Maybe that’s why I couldn’t talk when I met her at Carnegie Hall at the Open Book Tour. I had so much I wanted to say, but was in such awe when I got in front of her that I was speechless.

Avatar Image says:

Don’t know about the rest of the list, but J K Rowling absolutely deserves to be on any list counting the best and the brightest of modern history. I always liken her works to Dickens and am thrilled to to realize that even in our age we can still witness the birth of such a rich and instant classic as the Harry Potter series.

Avatar Image says:

Dolly Parton made the list? I mean, she’s a great person, but a GENIUS? I think not. This list is laughable.

Avatar Image says:

George Bush for exactly the same reason, only on a larger scale.

Tony Blair for exactly the same reason and being an accessory to murder.

What a stupid list. I thought the Guardian was a little smarter than this.

Avatar Image says:

Emma Watson should be on the list. Why? She got 8 grade As with Distinctions!!! plus 2 normal grade As. I mean getting all grade As is astounding itself but getting grade As with Distinctions is phenomenal.

Avatar Image says:

dammit, i didn’t make it! did anyone here get on?! lol.

Avatar Image says:

I don’t know. I guess I have a different definition of what a genius is than those who made this list.

I will grant paradigm breaking to JK though. When she wote SS, she got turned down a few times from different publishing houses because kids weren’t reading magic based fantasy or some such. She broke down on that and now it’s everywhere. There’s even a couple of movies out there right now based on some magical fantasy tale (Stardust and something about seven signs) trying to cash in on the wave.

A genius to me is very tied to intellectual level, discovery of some such and unparalleled level of talent on a specific field. JK can spin a great story around but it doesn’t seem like genius level to me. She’s still smart, charismatic and someone to look up to though.

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter: I’m digging on your allusions to Simpson, Bush, Blair, et al. Well said, my friend.

Avatar Image says:

starts singing Lucy in the skyyyy with diiiiamondss…..

Avatar Image says:

...and Rupert Murdoch isn’t American, he’s Australian.

Kalashnikov, surprisingly, comes across as a very soulful person in his TV bio; and why haven’t you Brits been beating us over the head with Ranulph Fiennes? What a faboo character!!!

Avatar Image says:

“Should have OJ Simpson on there. Genius for getting away with murder for so long. George Bush for exactly the same reason, only on a larger scale. Tony Blair for exactly the same reason and being an accessory to murder.”

@ Professor Potter, your comment should get an “A*” !!!!!

Avatar Image says:

Don’t go getting your panties in a bunch about this list. I don’t know how it was assembled, but it seems that the number to the right is how many votes the person or persons got. WHO is voting is not indicated. But COME ON! Matt Groening at #4!?

For those of you who don’t know why Osama Bin Laden is on the list (tied with Bill Gates – what a hoot!) I think he falls into the “Evil Genius” category. The whole 9/11 tragedy was evil on a level of thinking out of the box that has rarely been seen. To paraphrase Olivander “Terrible, but Genius!”

I think this list has the same global significance as the “Richest Fictional Characters” list that Forbes does every year. Lucious Malfoy has been on it several times and Santa Claus it at the top every year. (you can’t see my eyes rolling, but they are).

Avatar Image says:

I’m gonna go with the majority opinion here: THIS LIST IS SKETCHY TO THE MAX. Prince and Henry Kissinger are tied? whaaa?

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter, you’re amazing.

Avatar Image says:

Yes Emma should be on it, why isn’t she. Emma is smart,talented and beautiful. I want to complain to the people who made that list and ask them why Emma wasn’t on it! Emma is so amazing and gorgeous she deserves to be on this list and every list along with Bonnie Wright.

Avatar Image says:

THE CREATOR OF LSD? HAHA OMG.

I dunno why you all are complaining, coz this list is hilariously fantastic – greatest living geniuses and only 60% are actually living! LMAO!

Avatar Image says:

Professor Potter i agree with what you said totally. It is so right about the people who get away with murder, and yes Bush did do it on a bigger scale.

Define genius.

Avatar Image says:

this is just idiotic, they “rank” everyone yet there are eight people tied for 32nd place. apparently their criteria was far from specific if they can’t give everyone their own individual ranking.

Avatar Image says:

Meryl Streep came in above Jo…are you kidding me?? How do they decide what place on the list these people go?

...George Soros made 3?

Yeah, that about debunks the list completely.

About the George Bush claim – I’ll give you that he’s not the most effective and competent president, but the constant murder claims? Get you head out of your arse.

Avatar Image says:

Jo is a greater genius than a lot of them on the list, she deserves a much higher rate. I think it`s a personal choice of symphatie.

KKoro,

If you look in the mirror, I think you’ll find the only “arse” around here is you.

Bush is a FOOL and anyone, whose only criticism is to say “he’s not the most effective and competent president” is an even BIGGER FOOL!

Avatar Image says:

Then who do you blame for the deaths of 600,000+ innocent Iraqis, KKoro?

Avatar Image says:

well, Jo is great but I’m sorry Prince is AMAZING!!! lol I mean everybody in my family loves prince and HP, but whatever she is still on the list

Avatar Image says:

She’s a gifted writer, but the term “genius” is thrown about far too liberally these days. In her case, it’s not deserved. Be honest, not sycophantic for a change, people.

Avatar Image says:

IMO, the list is not convincing at all. i mean, what are the qualifications of the respondents? ofcourse, they don’t need an educational degree or whatever academic achievement to be able to choose who they want… but exactly, but it all comes down to a personal choice, doesn’t it? there are more than just a hundred geniuses who deserve as much recognition as the others. personally, aside from Jo, i would vote for Conan O’Brien, who i believe is a brilliant genius. =P

Avatar Image says:

she should definitely be above the creator of the simpsons.

Avatar Image says:

Obviously Steven Hawking should be number 1 on a list like this! And in my opinion Jo Rowling, John Williams and Paul McCartney should be higher on the list!

Write a Reply or Comment