Release Date Set for Spanish “Deathly Hallows” Translations

115

Nov 19, 2007

Posted by EdwardTLC
Uncategorized

Ediciones Salamandra, the Spanish language publishers the Harry Potter novels, have today announced the release date for their translations of seventh book, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” These editions are set to hit store shelves at 18:30 (6:30 pm) in Spain, the United States, and throughout Latin America on February 21, 2008. In addition to being printed in Castilian, the publishers also said versions of the book in Catalan and Galician will be released simultaneously. This translated edition of “Deathly Hallows,” the title for which you can read here, will be translated by Gemma Rovira, while the cover art will be produced by Dolores Avendaño, both of whom have worked on the previous novels.

Thanks to Alex, Sigrid, Maponto, and Harry Latino for mailing.

29 Responses to Release Date Set for Spanish “Deathly Hallows” Translations

Avatar Image says:

Yes, baby! All I need now is to see that beautiful cover art.

Avatar Image says:

wow, they suddenly have three months to mentally prepare themselves for this. they must be so excited! and cover art. exactly my sentiments, Fer_keeper.

Avatar Image says:

excited? we hate salamandra. they do not respect fans of latinamerica. their translations are horribles, the covers and they invent details for the books. rowling has change it

Avatar Image says:

it should be noted that the US edition was available on 21 july in much of latin america. It’s not like many of us don’t know what happens :) There were midnight release parties and everything. And Nono is right, lots of people do prefer the USA or british versions to the translations.

Avatar Image says:

I totally agreed, they change almost everything. But I feel happy because in latinamerican there are a lot of fans that not read english, so for them will be so awesome to finally read this great book.

Avatar Image says:

HEY! THIS LAST BOOK, I WANT READING TODAY BUT I CAN WAIT TO COME IN SPANHIS I LIVE IN MEXICO I DONT NOW MUCH INGLISH BUT I TODAY I HAVE MY BOOK IN INGLISH

Why are they so slow???

Avatar Image says:

I want to read the spanish traslation only because there are a few details that i wasn’t able to understand in english… i don’t like salamandras traslation either but is the only option we have… I’m not pro non-official traslations but not everyone can read in english… and the one that was on the internet for this book was very acurate and almost every fan in latin america and spain read it because salamandra always release the books 8 or 9 months later…

Avatar Image says:

My HP collection is half in spanish and half in english, and the split happens in the fifth book when it wasn’t out yet while the other four were already available in spanish. I wasn’t going to wait for a translation. My english is quite decent, plus, what better way to improve it than by reading the book on it’s native language?

The relics of death gives it a bit away unlike the english version where people just didn’t know what she meant with hallows. Then again, a relic doesn’t really says much, it could be ANY sort of old artifact. The play of words is still there though. Adding ‘de la muerte’ (of death) makes them sound pretty deadly and for someone who hasn’t read it, it’s hard to guess the relics were actually owned by death and not deadly themselves.

Avatar Image says:

I know how to speak Spanish because I have to talk to my mom and a lot of my relatives in Spanish because they don’t know English., but I’m definitely no pro. English is my dominant and native language but I bought all the HP books in Spanish to sorta improve my Spanish. I didn’t know Salamandra’s translations were bad. That really bites. Oh well.

Avatar Image says:

I can’t believe the spanish translation is coming out so late.

Avatar Image says:

It’s a commercial strategy because the spanish version is the 3rd in importance after english and chinese (talking about the numer of people who speak the language and therefor buy it).

Avatar Image says:

i have read the book in spanish, now i attempt in english for the first time…may be in french after….but guys it’s very …..WOOOOOOOWWWW

Avatar Image says:

Finally! The book in spanish, I’ve read it in english, I’m exciting to see it. Well I have to admit it, I don’t like Salamandra, their traslations are horrible, they don’t respect us! However I hope see a beutiful cover art. I can’t wait.

Avatar Image says:

Finally!! It was about time!! ^^ I like to buy the book in Spanish too and compare the translasion, but, to be honest, I bought OotP in Spanish the same day it came out and still haven’t read it!! XD

Avatar Image says:

To all the people that is wondering why the Spanish translation takes so much time to hit store selves, it’s not a commercial strategy, as Fabs says, it’s because there’s only one person working on the translation, while other countries use a team o translators to translate the book. This is supposed to be good, because translations tend to be quite bad when there are several people working on them. Sometimes they are not very coherent. The bad thing is that Salamandra always chooses a bad translator to translate the book… =( I could do better!!

Avatar Image says:

Bonnie, the french version has been out for a little while, and as far as I know it’s only one person translating.

I enjoy re-reading in French, even though I speak English OK, it’s still more clear in French, especially all the battles. And, well, ménarad is definitively getting better, he even made quite a few totally brilliant things, like the how he translated the “holey joke”.

Avatar Image says:

In Goblet of Fire, when the sphinx tells Harry the riddle, it’s impossible to translate word for word or the answer won’t make sense. Well, the spanish translator changed the wording and managed to squeeze in her country of origin (Spider=araña, Spain=España). I found that to be sneaky and smart too. Though why in blue blazes she changed Neville’s toad into a turtle, I’ll never know. Maybe she found a toad to be too disgusting for children but I bet she hung up her gloves when Ron started puking slugs in the second book.

Avatar Image says:

ménard remade the whole sphinx riddle so as to get the word “araignée” as an answer.

Avatar Image says:

The mistranlation (“toad” as “turtle”) only happened in the first version and was corrected afterwards. I’m not a great fan of the spanish translator, and “las reliquias de la muerte” is an awful translation (“de la muerte” means “deathly” but it’s also a coloquial and preppy expression for “very cool”)

Avatar Image says:

It’s so strange the spanish translation coming out so late! I’m portuguese and we just just had the portuguese edition out; and the spanish and portuguese are so similar, so why would they take so long? I’ve heard some comments about the spanish publisher, and I have to agree with them. Spanish, you have my support!! Viva Harry Potter!

Avatar Image says:

I’ve got 1 – 6 of the Salamandra books. Yes some minor things are different, but still a good read, and excellent practice for me readng Castellano. Looking to add #7. Ah! But I want to get the version in Gallego!!!

La familia de me esposa eran Gallega!

Avatar Image says:

At this link you can find the Sphinx’s Song in 13 different languages: http://www.iti.org.uk/pdfs/newPDF/HarryPotter.pdf

Avatar Image says:

Well, I’m from Spain, but I speak English so I’ll buy the Spanish edition just because I like to have the books in different languages. But I prefer to read the original versions, because there is some stuff impossible to translate…

People from Latin America should know we don’t like the Spanish translation in Spain either. I thought they were so slow translating it because they make different translations for every Spanish variation of every country…

Avatar Image says:

Yes, the press note says there will be seven different versions in spanish, for Spain (gallego, catalán y castellano), Latin America and United States

hi rosa,

The Spanish language will have only 3 versions: one for Spain (where the language is also called Castillian), one for the US and Central America and another one for South America. Catalan and Galician are not “Spanish” versions as they are different languages. Spain has 4 official languages: Spanish (aka Castillian, spoken by 78% of the population), Catalan (spoken by 17%), Galician (spoken by 3%) and Basque (spoken by 2%). You can’t understand a book in Catalan, Galician or Basque if you only speak Spanish. I know this because I have recently moved to Barcelona (I’m not Spanish myself) and here everybody speaks Catalan and Spanish, and they are different languages.

Hi Iowess.

I know that! I’m spanish myself (and my father is gallego!). What I meant is that Salamandra is in charge of the catalán and gallego versions too, and that partly explains why the release date is so late. Sorry if I didn’t make myself clear! I got my information from the press note Salamandra sent to my magazine (I’m a journalist). But now that you mention it, I can only count FIVE versions, not seven. Maybe there are some DeLuxe or Adult editions…

Avatar Image says:

hi rosa! no problem with that, i suppose that salamandra agents are the ones to blame for this little confusion. i have to say that salamandra will not publish the catalan version. it will be by “editorial empuries”, or at least that’s what a friend of mine said (i’m still not very fluent in catalan so i don’t know exactly :S).

Hi Iowess

You’re right! Empuries is usually the catalán publisher now that you say that…

Write a Reply or Comment