More Pics of Beedle the Bard, Leaky’s Special Children’s Voice Drive

Nov 28, 2007

Posted by Melissa Anelli
Uncategorized

A copy of The Tales of Beedle the Bard has now been on display in New York, and we have scanned portions of the copies of the Sotheby’s catalog accompanying it, which you can now see in our galleries. We’ve only shown the cover, parts of J.K. Rowling’s internal note, and some of the inside illustrations (including the one that shows all three Deathly Hallows). We have refrained from posting the entire thing because the book is also on sale to benefit the Children’s Voice Charity. You can purchase a copy right here.

Pics:
Jo with the book
Catalog cover
Arch, stars, flourishes, on the info page
Star and wand The Deathly Hallows, in the Tale of the Three Brothers

Leaky also has four extra copies of this catalog, and in the spirit of the occasion, will be giving them away to four random donors in a special, short charity drive. By using the button below, you can contribute to a special fund that will go to aid the Children’s Voice Charity, in the name of Potter fans everywhere. Four people who donate $5 or more will be randomly selected to receive a copy of this catalog, which is a special limited-edition item. When our drive is done (December 13, the day that the auction happens in London), we will post names of all the donors (note, please click the box below if you would like to remain anonymous) and send them on to Jo Rowling.

Please note that you must be 13 or over to donate, and those under 18 should seek permission from their parents.

Would you like your name to be posted?

Thank you all! A reminder, to those of our readers lucky enough to find themselves able to bid on this item: It will be auctioned on December 13

in London, and is expected to sell for between 30,000 and 50,000 GBP. You can read about our experience viewing it here.

23 Responses to More Pics of Beedle the Bard, Leaky’s Special Children’s Voice Drive

Avatar Image says:

I think it is great that Jo does charity work.

She has all of that $ and she gives quite a bit to these wonderful causes, I have a large amount of respect for her.

Avatar Image says:

I have a question for people say they have already gotten their catelog… are you in the US or the UK?

I’m in the US. I ordered mine, but there was an issue where I must have entered the wrong credit card exp date. They sent me a letter, I corrected the info, and I sent it back like 2 weeks ago or so. I still havent gotten it, and I still havent been charged. I’m wondering if I’m off the list now or something.

Avatar Image says:

Has anyone gotten the catalog? I haven’t received mine and I ordered at the beginning of November, and my credit card has been charged. Thanks!

Avatar Image says:

Wow! She’s so talented, writing and drawing! I can hardly draw stick figures. Thanks for the pics Melissa!

Avatar Image says:

I received my catalogue on November 20th, but I live in the UK.

Avatar Image says:

I live in Canada and it took 7 “buisness days” to get here. Anyways for anyone who hasn’t yet ordered it…do it!!! Its only limited edition and it is a beautiful book. I got it yesterday, and have spent forever looking over the pages. Well worth it!!!

Avatar Image says:

I live in France and received it yesterday :) I’m so happy : even in a hundred years people will still buy the books but nobody will be able to buy this catalogue. It shows we were in it, right in it when all of it happened :)

Avatar Image says:

Yeah, I know it’s limited, that’s why I’m worried. If it’s not in todays mail (which I dont know why it would be if I havent been charged yet), then I’m going to try and contact Sothebys.

Avatar Image says:

I appreciate the effort, but I don’t really care for the fact that this seems to have been something that was solely JK Rowling’s charity effort, but now TLC has taken over a part of it. How did this happen? I also don’t understand why anyone would need to feel like they might get a “prize” for donating to a charity; shouldn’t people donate simply from the goodness of their hearts and because they want to help? I certainly don’t need any “enticements”. But good luck! I think TLC has always managed to do a really good job with raising money for charitable organizations in the past, and I hope that this effort won’t be any different! :)

Avatar Image says:

If you want to donate more money to the charity by all means use leaky, but just buy the catalogue, dont hope that you get it from this leaky draw, because first off your only paying about 10 or so more dollars if you are buying the catalogue, plus its all for charity, and this way you guarentee you’ll get the fantastic catalogue!!

Avatar Image says:

I got mine on 23rd after two days but I’m UK.

Avatar Image says:

Well, the idea is that those who want to do more than buy the catalog can do so, and also that those who can’t buy it or don’t want to pay the shipping, etc., can also have a chance to give a small amount and possibly get it. The difference between $5 and $20 is only a big difference to those to whom it matters. So, if we raise a few hundred bucks from those who could only do it this way, great. Just a little extra special drive this holiday, that’s all.

Avatar Image says:

I’m glad you were able to use some of my photos, Leaky!

I’m a lucky resident of New York, so I just bought my catalog in person at Sotheby’s. I know it’s a limited printing, but for those who haven’t gotten it, I wouldn’t be too worried yet. They had plenty sitting around when I was there.

Avatar Image says:

Accio Bard Tales!!! Alas. Nothing.

Melissa… You are so lucky! :) BlogHogwarts.com

Avatar Image says:

I ordered my catalog early November, they charged my card, but I still don’t have my copy!!! I live in the US.

Avatar Image says:

I got my Sotheby’s catalog Monday. It’s a sweet little memento, and makes me feel very happy for those people whom Jo graced with the book.

Avatar Image says:

LOL, Errol! Unfortunately, Summoning never seems to work with those Horcruxes. (Well, the book was split seven ways.)

Avatar Image says:

I decided to give myself a little Christmas present and ordered a copy from Sotheby’s, but I also donated through the Leaky. It’s a small thing, but think of the difference it will make to these children.

Avatar Image says:

i wanted to buy the catalogue, but i don´t have a credit card. btw i don´t think the tales look as they were something special. jo obviously didn´t put much effort in the drawings. they look like what students draw when they are bored.

what i have to say anyway: why does the media sell HP as a book for teenagers? and do you really believe that 325000000 copies have been sold. here in germany nobody buys them and especially not the youth. so, everybody please stop pretending!!!

Avatar Image says:

Happy and Safe Holiday my HP Family… Quick question do you have to buy both books that pop up in the order? Thank you in advance;-)

Shop Harry Potter Till you drop!

Avatar Image says:

No. If you are ordering the catalogue from Sotheby’s it will by default select the Beedle the Bard catalogue, and the catalogue for the more general auction it is a part of. You can deselect the more general catalogue before ordering.

Avatar Image says:

not so sure about this book… i don’t think rowling is the best artist, and reading the stories in her handwriting would definitely bother me. i’m sure they’re well-written, but i think visually it’s lacking.

Write a Reply or Comment